Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:36:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grocery shopping

Started by peanutbutter, March 17, 2020, 01:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poobum

Quote from: Danger Man on March 25, 2020, 10:54:31 PM
April 15th: I ate the last of the guinea pigs.....

Nah, can't eat em, need em for when the toilet roll runs out.

bgmnts

Huge queue outside Morrisons. Moving at a dnaild pace because obviously everyone is taking forever cleaning out shit.

I got my spotify, literally dancing in the queue I dont care.

pigamus

Went to Asda this morning. Pleasantly surprised. Queue filled the carpark but moved pretty quick. Shelves depleted but not empty. Got everything I wanted. Checkouts fine.

Wouldn't want to do it in the pissing rain though.

alan nagsworth

Had a very pleasant stroll up Sainsbury's in the spring sunshine just now. Queued outside for about 10 seconds before they let me in. Loads of fresh fruit and veg in, loads of tins of baked beans, loads of cat food. There were dwindling supplies of washing up liquid and self raising flour. Managed to come home with a solid haul after not leaving the house for a week. Shit was chill af in there as well.

Jasha

Popped into Aldi on the off chance and not only did they have bread milk and cheap knock off brandy but also plastic screens around the tills like a bank with a little cutout for the card payments while the cashier pushes your shopping through a little gap at the bottom

Buelligan

Yep, our shop's had that for a while and the workers have PPE that looks better than UK NHS workers' stuff.  Strange days.

Blue Jam

greencalx

Quote from: Buelligan on March 26, 2020, 10:51:47 AM
Can you do the online order and collect thing for the junior paracetamol?  I think shops like Boots are doing that.  I agree, if you've got a child at home having some junior paracetamol in the cupboard is reassuring.

Nice idea and I just looked into it. 250,000 people in the queue in front of me. My local sainsbaps doesn't do a c&c either. Might have a chat with the neighbourhood pharmacist. If he can't do me JP he can probably run to some methadone, which would probably do just as well.

imitationleather

Marks and Spencer was fully stocked this evening ooh yeah.

Dewt

Quote from: imitationleather on March 26, 2020, 08:53:54 PM
Marks and Spencer was fully stocked this evening ooh yeah.
He didn't notice that the lights had changed

Head Gardener

folks well behaved in Northampton today - the queue did go on a bit more so I thought it best to get my vodka & fruit later

massive bereavement

Thought about going today but I'm really anxious about the queues. I have a hard enough time standing at a crossing waiting for the green man, not because I'm impatient, it's that I become super self conscious, I'll start scratching and messing with my hair etc. How am I supposed to do that for 10 minutes or more?
If I've got to go somewhere I want to get there as quickly as possible and get out as quickly as possible with no hanging about. What if some cunt from school comes up behind me and recognises me? I'd have to talk to them for ages with no way of excusing myself. What if the local TV or radio turns up to do a vox pops? I can't just swerve out of the way if I'm standing in the middle of a queue. As well as the grey hour, could the supermarkets not have a 15 minute window for neurotic nutters like me?

bgmnts

Lidl is the only big shop round my way not riddled with queues up the arse. Just four or five people outside.

Heron and Home Bargains are great too, but not big shop material.

olliebean

Fucking long queue outside Tesco today of people not really bothering to distance themselves from each other much at all. Didn't fancy it so I got some bread and pasta from the Sainsbury's Local instead. I think I'm going to have to brave Tesco by the end of next week, though.

massive bereavement

I'm wondering which days will be the quietist. Saturday is usually very busy but the reverse might be true now that most people are off work.

I can only deal with self-checkouts so smaller stores are a no-go. I did go to Wilkos last week for some stationary and had to use a manned till, the cashier asked me "How are you doing, are you alright?" I managed to mutter "yeah alright" under my breath but still spent the entire walk home going over and over it thinking I must have come across as a complete ignorant prick whilst having to resist the urge to slap myself across the face repeatedly in public.

I just hope I'll be able to take one of my kids in with me as I'm a lot calmer when I'm with them and if I have a mental block at the self checkout (which does happen from time to time) they can remind me what I'm supposed to be doing. Think it did or has got to the stage in France(?) where they're only allowing one member of a household to go to the shops though.

idunnosomename

there is no fucking way i am queuing to go in asda

Rich Uncle Skeleton

So glad to be spending longer in Ireland where cheap own brand paracetamol doesn't fucking exist.

shiftwork2

It's the final thing here too.  Everything else is in rude health but cheapo para is nowhere to be seen.  I think I spent £4.20 on some soluble stuff, which is of course absolutely rank to drink.  So there's that to look forward to in the next few weeks.

Head Gardener

Dewt

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 27, 2020, 02:38:32 PM
there is no fucking way i am queuing to go in asda
My mother reported queueing up at Morrisons as, directly quoting, "very responsible behaviour".

JamesTC

Had to queue up outside Lidl. One guy lumbered up and struggled to understand the concept of queues. Then as we were near the front he said he needs to go for a trolley rather than doing the fucking sensible thing and getting it before getting in the queue.

Had some dicks queuing right behind me at the till. Woman in front of me was buying about 10 packs of biscuits (around 5 packs of digestives which the cashier noted but let her buy), 30 eggs and 12 boxes of UHT milk. She looked shocked when the guy said she could only buy four boxes of UHT milk despite looking the other way at the rest.

buttgammon

Queuing for half an hour in Lidl today. About 25 minutes in, some arsehole (who was walking around eating a bread roll so slobbishly he almost had half of his hand in his mouth) tried to push in ahead of me. I wasn't having it, so he then tried to push in at the front of the next queue.

In short, we're fucked.

bgmnts

Quote from: JamesTC on March 27, 2020, 05:19:37 PM
Had to queue up outside Lidl. One guy lumbered up and struggled to understand the concept of queues. Then as we were near the front he said he needs to go for a trolley rather than doing the fucking sensible thing and getting it before getting in the queue.

Had some dicks queuing right behind me at the till. Woman in front of me was buying about 10 packs of biscuits (around 5 packs of digestives which the cashier noted but let her buy), 30 eggs and 12 boxes of UHT milk. She looked shocked when the guy said she could only buy four boxes of UHT milk despite looking the other way at the rest.

What the fuck?

imitationleather

Just scored some paracetamol from Sainsburys. Don't even need it. Just remembered this thread and went in to auto-pilot.

Jockice

I went to Waitrose last Friday and Spar yesterday. I suppose this means I'm truly classless.

Blue Jam

Got most of my shopping done at Saino's yesterday and just needed to get some kitchen cleaning wipes. Went to Tesco and joined the queue outside, dutifully standing two metres behind the person in front. Two beardy hipster twats who had blatantly just been to the cash machine said "Excuse me, I think you'll find this was our place in the queue, we were just isolating up there." I couldn't be arsed to argue so I just let them in front of me. They then proceeded to bunch up right behind the person who had been in front of me, with nary a care for the 'vid. All so they could get to the empty bog roll aisle 10 minutes before me.

I decided I couldn't be arsed queuing for just one item and muttered "the spirit of the Blitz lives on" before giving some change to the homeless woman the twats been ignoring and leaving without telling them the deserted Saino's up the road was well-stocked with food and positively heaving with bog roll.

Ha, that showed them. Maybe.

*sigh*

Sebastian Cobb

I couldn't be arsed going to morrisons to queue so got some stuff from the tesco garage, which I still had to queue for. Got to watch some jakie eat his takeaway in a bus shelter, shovelling curry and rice into his mouth with the corner of the plastic lid.

I'm also quite surprised the lad in the cornershop still looks fit and well given the amount of jakies he serves and his lackadaisical approach to cash handling.

Blue Jam

On the bright side, I went to the pharmacy next and while obeying their current one-in-one-out policy I had a nice socially-distanced chat with a friendly big old tattooed biker-looking guy, laughing about how ridiculous this all was. Walked home and saw one of our neighbours has got their kids writing a Joke Of The Day in crayon and putting it up in their window. Another neighbour whose dog sits in the window has a sign saying "Mac says stay at home!  ♥" and some other neighbours have put signs on everyone's doors with a QR code for the neighbourhood Whatsapp group they've started so we can all look out for each other.

Awww, people aren't all bad :)

olliebean

Quote from: massive bereavement on March 27, 2020, 02:16:36 PM
I'm wondering which days will be the quietist. Saturday is usually very busy but the reverse might be true now that most people are off work.

Along similar lines, what time of day is the best? I went at lunchtime, thinking people would be at home having lunch instead of at work and going shopping in their lunch break, but I still balked at the queue outside Tesco. Would after dark be a better bet, or would there be no point going that late because they'll have sold out of everything?

Neomod

Went to Morrisons just after 2 today and it was quiet with no queues. They had nearly everything but I did notice there had been a run on crisps, biscuits and sweets and those shelves were cleared.

Comfort eating no doubt in these trying times.