Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:22:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grocery shopping

Started by peanutbutter, March 17, 2020, 01:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

Did my shopping in Booths. It's right near my house, so somewhere I'm used to nipping to whenever I'm missing something.

Did a weeks shopping there today and fuck is it expensive. You're paying premium price for everything. What cost me £100 today would cost about £70 in Sainsburys.

On the plus side, 2 people in a queue and once you're in, you've virtually got the place to yourself.

I still move round like I'm in a nuclear fallout zone. It fucking terrifies me being near people now. Out into the carpark, splat, loads of sanitizer, home, wash hands in nearly boiling water.

idunnosomename

booths has some nice things (and some very fancy new builds for stores) but they havent a fucking clue. im pretty sure they dont make any money and they only keep going by dipping into their endowment every year.

it's worth going to town centre marks and sparks atm. absolutely loads of good stuff slashed to fuck because no one is in town

massive bereavement

Quote from: olliebean on March 27, 2020, 08:21:43 PM
Along similar lines, what time of day is the best? I went at lunchtime, thinking people would be at home having lunch instead of at work and going shopping in their lunch break, but I still balked at the queue outside Tesco. Would after dark be a better bet, or would there be no point going that late because they'll have sold out of everything?

I'd guess 3-4pm weekday would be good, before those still working away from home start to roll up to clear the shelves but after most of those at home have been and gone.

I'd find it hard to break my early morning routine though, I don't want to be stressing about going down into town all morning, I want to get it over with and get on with the rest of my day.

idunnosomename

i actually find like half six pm best. but aldi is always the best choice because people don't spend long inside and the staff and management are superb at keeping everything stocked best they can under the stress.

at least its not fucking december, thats what i keep thinking

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Had to get home after the pharmacy as I was in agony after the walk there[nb]boo hoo[/nb] so skipped a quick supermarket run for veg. Fast forward to tonight and Ireland's now on proper lockdown so tomorrow morning all that aldi's going to have left is a packet of lebkuchen and a couple of paddling pools.

Jittlebags

Are Lidl/Aldi still doing the Aisle of Doom, ie shite seasonal wank that isn't fit for purpose? eg circular saws, compressors, and battery powered porch cleaners with as much water pressure as a senile bat having a piss.

Cloud

Also went to Booths.  Don't judge there were a few things I forgot when topping up at the corner shop.  Ours was excellent to be fair, they had a good layout for herding people in a queue around the car park (and everyone was keeping a good 2-4m), one out one in and not too many in at once. All well stocked.

Compared to the corner shop it was way safer due to the herding and space available inside, but the criticism I have is there wasn't much protection for checkout staff. The corner shop have put up massive perspex screens now.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jittlebags on March 28, 2020, 12:28:55 AM
Are Lidl/Aldi still doing the Aisle of Doom, ie shite seasonal wank that isn't fit for purpose? eg circular saws, compressors, and battery powered porch cleaners with as much water pressure as a senile bat having a piss.
yeah because they dont take much effort to restock. Theyve probably stopped pulling in products for it though

massive bereavement

Had to queue for 45 minutes this morning, some woman with a booming voice louder than Brian Blessed using a megaphone was going up and down the line fast tracking the OAP's, NHS, pregnant women, first responders and the vulnerable into the "blue" line (No idea what colour our line was supposed to be). Got most of the things I needed but the vegetarian range is becoming a real problem now, especially Quorn, really wish I hadn't put back that extra bag of Sausages a week or so go when the "shop responsibly" message came over the PA just as I was picking two bags up.

gib

Quote from: massive bereavement on March 28, 2020, 10:50:28 AM
Had to queue for 45 minutes this morning, some woman with a booming voice louder than Brian Blessed using a megaphone was going up and down the line fast tracking the OAP's, NHS, pregnant women, first responders and the vulnerable into the "blue" line (No idea what colour our line was supposed to be). Got most of the things I needed but the vegetarian range is becoming a real problem now, especially Quorn, really wish I hadn't put back that extra bag of Sausages a week or so go when the "shop responsibly" message came over the PA just as I was picking two bags up.

Holland & Barrett are doing deliveries.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jittlebags on March 28, 2020, 12:28:55 AM

Lidl Lidl
Smells of piddle
Food round the outside
Shit in the middle

(my nearest Lidl doesn't have a Random Aisle in the middle, it's too small. My nearest Aldi is bigger and does have one though. Lots of slippers and vests and pet beds last time I was in)

Pseudopath

Tried to buy four bottles of wine earlier[nb]Buying for parents as well, honest.[/nb] (two white, two red, each one a different brand) and was told I had to put one back. I thought the limit was three of each item, not just "three things containing alcohol". Fucksakes.

Icehaven

Still massive queues outside Aldi but virtually none outside the Iceland directly opposite it yesterday, and plenty of hard to find stuff in Iceland too, eggs, toilet roll, bleach, tinned stuff etc. Dunno what the appeal of Aldi is other than having a car park and being on the other side of the road so I hope the masses continue to not realise.

Cuntbeaks

The shops ive been to, near Glasgow, have all been pretty much fully stocked. Short queue to get into Asda last night but nothing crazy.

Not sure if the folk in Scotland are just taking the whole 'shop responsibly' thing more seriously than folk in England. Or if England is just chock full of selfish cunts.

MrMrs

We're just legends, is all.

olliebean

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 28, 2020, 02:43:28 PM
Tried to buy four bottles of wine earlier[nb]Buying for parents as well, honest.[/nb] (two white, two red, each one a different brand) and was told I had to put one back. I thought the limit was three of each item, not just "three things containing alcohol". Fucksakes.

Was it just wine, though? i.e., would they have let you have 3 bottles of wine and a bottle of rum, for example?

Head Gardener

idunnosomename

ive bought two of like three types of beer when it says two per customer

god i wont be able to survive if im only allowed to buy two bottles of alcohol at a time

CHAOS!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT HAVE THOU WROUGHT!!!!!!!!!

Beagle 2

Pretty sobering going out tonight with a shopping list of a few random things, none of which were there, and people in masks queuing two meters apart to get in the shop. This is the shop that's normally full, too.

Gulftastic

Had to queue for about ten minutes to get into Aldi, then got everything I wanted. This was about 11am.

JarrowMonkey

When I was in Morrisons yesterday, some bloke started pouring domestos over the fresh fruit

He was arrested for bleach of the peach

pigamus

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 27, 2020, 02:38:32 PM
there is no fucking way i am queuing to go in asda

It was actually fine when I did it. The queue only looks massive because of the spacing. It moves fairly quickly.

idunnosomename

i dont like asda at the best of times, i just like they have bottles of Bass for a quid

MrMrs

Scenes on toast, Emilio

Mr_Simnock

Went to Sainsbury's and Booths last night at 7pm, bought food for three weeks. No ques and lots of stock, easy peasy

Sherringford Hovis

Am about to go to Aldi - first time in a week I've been into town.

The word "trepidatious" was invented for this morning.

bgmnts

Nah you'll be fine, just maybe a quick stop at Mountain Warehouse to get some camping gear.

Jasha

None of this queuing lark at Iceland, but then the range of fresh anything is rather limited so filled the freezer with Flake ice creams and Bird's eye chicken

Rev+

A quiet queue at about 7PM outside SAINBANGERS this evening, got in within about 10 minutes.  Got about half of the basics I went in for, but fuck me we need to start shooting people who were always arseholes in supermarkets.

Supermarkets are generally designed in a way that lets you know where to find particular products.  Don't walk slightly into an aisle, realise it's not what you're looking for, then turn around and walk straight into to me you arsehole.  Drunk Pacman ghosts alll over the place.

timebug

Local Aldi is nice and quiet after about six pm every night.Shelves well stocked and people (mostly) behaving sensibly.You will always get a few arseholes, thats a generic thing regardless of the virus,they are programmed that way from birth! Otherwise, a couple of local shops which also seem to be following the 'rules' and generally with only about three shoppers in. No major shortages of anything now he bogroll panic seems to be over. If it were not for milk and bread, I could limit myself to a once a month trip for supplies. Hey ho, remember the more innocent times when all we had to do was laugh at Trump/Boris/whoever
and despise politicvians in general?