Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:52:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grocery shopping

Started by peanutbutter, March 17, 2020, 01:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: olliebean on March 19, 2020, 10:27:19 PM
Dip the fuckers in oil, then. Oiled-up eggs keep for ages, apparently.

Only if you slip them up a trainee vicar's rectum.

Dewt

Quote from: Buelligan on March 19, 2020, 09:13:24 PM
You should never keep eggs in the fridge.  Only a barbarian would propose such a thing.
In the US they have to wash the eggs (by law) before they sell them

Which removes the protective coating

Which means they will perish at room temperature.

America is very frustrating

purlieu

Quote from: batwings on March 19, 2020, 07:49:06 PM
Had my Tesco delivery as usual today. Only a couple of substitutions, which is pretty typical.
That's pretty good going. It's not possible to get a supermarket delivery within the next two weeks here, and tried a click & collect from Asda, the day before it was due I got an email telling me of ten items out of stock; by the time I'd clicked on the link to amend my cart a couple of hours later, there were more than twenty items unavailable. Eventually gave up and actually went to Morrisons. Bought enough to keep us going for about three weeks, other than fresh veg (normally do a two-week shop, so this isn't dramatically above the normal level) and will be getting veg from either our corner shop or the nearby Tesco Express in the meantime.

olliebean

My housemate said she'd looked at Tesco's local delivery a couple of days ago and there were no slots available until June, so at two weeks you're doing well.

Blue Jam

Quote from: icehaven on March 18, 2020, 10:12:59 AM
We've been benefitting from people's apparent lack of imagination as while the shelves of the local Lidl were completely devoid of toilet roll, pasta, most tins, meat and various other things yesterday the Polish supermarket a few hundred yards down the road, and directly opposite our flat, still has everything in abundance.

The Halal section in Saino's had been raided but still had more meat left than the non-Halal aisles. Racists all gonna die.

Sebastian Cobb

People had already hit the leb place near me when I went in so things like red lentils and basmati/brown rice were gone but plenty of more esoteric stuff. They had half a pallet of chopped tomatoes that I was first in on.

Pretty sure some old lady came in and asked for 20 rothmans when when I was looking for stuff.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

There's a homebrew supplies shop very near me. Got some free time, might be the perfect time to get into homebrewing...

batwings

Quote from: olliebean on March 20, 2020, 04:54:35 PM
My housemate said she'd looked at Tesco's local delivery a couple of days ago and there were no slots available until June, so at two weeks you're doing well.

You can only book up to 4 weeks ahead, I think. None of which are now open at our local Tesco. I have orders already booked luckily, but fuck knows what we'll get. We're trying to help our elderly neighbour by adding extra items for her on our orders so I hope the system can cope.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

This week is the first I've ever heard of it being called Saino's. And by three different people, when did I become so dreadfully out of touch?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 20, 2020, 05:31:03 PM
There's a homebrew supplies shop very near me. Got some free time, might be the perfect time to get into homebrewing...

I've got the gear for this and a kit that is over a year out of date, so I'll need to buy new yeast. But I think the free time has put me in the mood for something monotonous like meticulously cleaning a bucket and bottles. Might order some through the post.

Got 8 tins of tennants and 2 bottles of Campo Viejo when I was getting my messages earlier.

Captain Z

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on March 20, 2020, 06:03:02 PM
This week is the first I've ever heard of it being called Saino's. And by three different people, when did I become so dreadfully out of touch?

I'm just a girl who can't Saino's, I'm in a terrible fix.

bgmnts

Hardly anything in Morrisons.

Scum humans.

imitationleather

Just managed to book a Tesco delivery slot in three weeks and already got one coming on Monday.

Apparently we're on some lame priority delivery slot subscription service so that might be why we're getting earlier dates than the weekend Glastonbury was supposed to be on.

Blue Jam

You're not out of touch, you're just not Scouse.

Dewt

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 20, 2020, 06:37:45 PM
You're not out of touch, you're just not Scouse.
But I'm out of my head when you're not around

Surely no actual, real, sane person has ever called it that, and if they have, then they will suffer my wrath.*

* wrath variable.

olliebean

Quote from: batwings on March 20, 2020, 05:40:04 PM
You can only book up to 4 weeks ahead, I think. None of which are now open at our local Tesco. I have orders already booked luckily, but fuck knows what we'll get. We're trying to help our elderly neighbour by adding extra items for her on our orders so I hope the system can cope.

Yeah, I think she must have got the wrong end of the stick. Just looked and it only goes 3 weeks ahead. No slots available.

Icehaven

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 20, 2020, 04:57:38 PM
The Halal section in Saino's had been raided but still had more meat left than the non-Halal aisles. Racists all gonna die.

The giant Asda near us is in an area with a high Muslim population, and there was plenty of pork, bacon and sausages left this morning. I'm going to be more likely to die of a heart attack than Coronavirus at this rate.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much of most stuff there was, there were empty shelves of course but there were plenty of not empty shelves as well. The fresh fruit and veg section looked virtually normal as well and this was at midday so not first thing.

greencalx

This https://twitter.com/andywightman/status/1241061850537754628?s=21 isn't my local supermarket, but it might as well have been when I went in on Thursday night. Since I'd been away dealing with my mother kicking the bucket, we were out of all fresh stuff. It was a very depressing experience going around a supermarket with nothing on the shelves. I also started to fret about being able to adequately feed my child, but the freezer section calmed my nerves.

Went again first thing this morning and was able to do pretty much a normal week's shop. Pulses and frozen peas were a no-no, but my local convenience store was able to sort me out with those. The only things that are on my critical list at the moment are tins of tomatoes and junior paracetamol. So can't complain at the moment, and hopefully things will get better as all the wankers who are currently eating their own body weight in toilet roll will run out of things to panic buy.

Noodle Lizard

I did my first "shelter-in-place" shop yesterday. They're having you line up outside and letting in 5 people every 10 minutes or so. Ironically, it seems like standing still for so long next to so many people would increase risk of exposure rather than wandering the aisles freely. Everywhere is relatively well-stocked though, except for a shortage of obvious items and potatoes, bizarrely. Some surreal rationing rules too: "Limit of two potatoes per household, or one large potato if it weighs over 1lb".

Chicken was also virtually gone, which is odd because it keeps far less well than almost any other meat. Plenty of beef and pork and fish to go around.

Dewt

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 21, 2020, 10:58:25 PMSome surreal rationing rules too: "Limit of two potatoes per household, or one large potato if it weighs over 1lb".
now you truly understand value of potato

you line up for potato yes, because it bring soup and nourish and hope

imitationleather

At the end of the day you will pay the price if you're a fussy eater.

Dewt

Honestly, we really need to step back for a second and think about THE WEST LINING UP FOR POTATOES.

chocky909

Anyone else pointed this out yet?

I agree it's a good idea to give OAPs and the immunocompromised an hour to shop in the morning without crowds. I also think it's good they are doing it for NHS staff but letting them shop together at the same time? Isn't putting the most vulnerable and potentially the most exposed people together in the same place a really bad idea?

greencalx

Apparently Sainsbury's have now realised this and are entertaining them separately.

Walked around Sainsber's last night and genuinely thought I was going to start crying for a second. I'm a generally stoic sort and can count on one hand the times I've cried as an adult, but there was something about the sparsity on the shelves that made me feel pretty helpless. Strange times.

olliebean

Quote from: chocky909 on March 22, 2020, 03:11:52 AM
I agree it's a good idea to give OAPs and the immunocompromised an hour to shop in the morning without crowds.

A friend's father went to one of those OAP-only morning shopping hours and found it more crowded and savage than when he just went in the afternoon with everybody else.

Buelligan

I'm hoping to go grocery shopping, my first out of cave experience in nearly a month, tomorrow.  Keep imagining what it'll be like, and reasons that it might not happen, hope they have plenty of cat beads (we call them croquettes here, that dried stuff whatever it's call in English, can't remember, even tried googling it but google just sends me the French).  Hope they have that stuff.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Buelligan on March 18, 2020, 10:54:24 AM
Potatoes keep for ages (as long as they're somewhere cool, dry and dark) so I can understand the run on potatoes - you can make great snap with them and very little else.  The egg thing, though, I agree, unless they're all making their own pasta and freezing it I suppose.

Snap? What's that?