Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:08:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grocery shopping

Started by peanutbutter, March 17, 2020, 01:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 04, 2020, 10:53:55 AM
Overheard in the co-op last night that a one-way Ikea-style system is being introduced with 'reversing' discouraged.  This is really going to focus the minds of grocery ditherers (we've all seen them) and in my opinion should be enforced by snipers.  Coming before Easter.

Co ops are always tiny and cramped. People will get to the tills then realise they forgot the cherry bakewells then excuse me their way the wrong way around the shop to the cake bit at the beginning.

imitationleather

The Tesco we go to has the one-way markings on the floor now. Makes being in there feel very urgent.

olliebean

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 05, 2020, 10:36:42 AMa lot of chains have invested in those plastic screens: aldi, lidl, tesco at least. I guess they're here to stay?

My local Tesco didn't have a screen at the checkout I went through, but it did have one on the adjacent one that wasn't in use. So that seems a bit pointless.

I didn't notice any one-way markings but then I was halfway round before I noticed the strips of tape spaced 2m apart all over the floor, so I might have missed them. People were going every which way, anyway.

buttgammon

My local Tesco is now making you load the conveyor belt from the very end; there's a green line taped on the floor and if you accidentally cross it because it wasn't installed last time you went there and you didn't see it, you will get shouted at.

idunnosomename

a lot of the tape markings are improv'd, aldi has had some social distance queue stickers printed and distributed, but you can see some supermarkets have basically succumbed to one crazy person who has enforced martial law on this sorta regime

Buelligan

Quote from: buttgammon on April 05, 2020, 08:48:25 PM
My local Tesco is now making you load the conveyor belt from the very end; there's a green line taped on the floor and if you accidentally cross it because it wasn't installed last time you went there and you didn't see it, you will get shouted at.

Pshahh.  We've been doing that for aaages here.   Some of our taped lines are so old now they only stick to the floor at the ends, presenting an interesting tripping hazard for all those not nimble on their toes, especially people short in the arm.  All adds to the excitement of an authorised shopping excursion.

greencalx

Timed to time my visit yesterday so I would get to the booze aisle at exactly 10am which is when it opens in Scotland. Got there 8 minutes early and felt that this law, which is ridiculous in normal times, was doing nothing other than preventing people in the queue from getting into the shop, and making it harder for us lushes to stick to the 2m rule.

Captain Crunch

That 'one person one trolley' bit almost fits this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7CDRBKS4tI

Needs work.

Norton Canes

Quote from: imitationleather on April 05, 2020, 01:34:38 PM
The Tesco we go to has the one-way markings on the floor now. Makes being in there feel very urgent

I had this idea a couple of weeks ago. One in, and the next one doesn't get in until that one has reached the end of the first aisle. You get max 10 seconds to stop at a shelf and decide what to put in your trolley. Anyone going back against the arrows is booted out the shop.

dissolute ocelot

Is anyone disinfecting their shopping when they get it home? I've seen a lot of stuff on socials about how you need to remove all covering and spray everything with antibacterials and keep a dirty zone by your front door and god knows what else. I've taken the bread and fruit out of its wrappers but there's no way I'm soaking my Alpen in bleach. If you leave a cardboard box 12-24 hours all the COVID will die anyhow, plastic takes a bit longer.

Asda at 9am today had everything except soap, hand wash, and flour. NOBODY except me was following the arrows though.

Cloud

I wipe down (with alcohol) anything like bottles, cans, solid surface outer packaging etc.  Supposedly it's overkill as not a lot of the virus sits on hard surfaces and it seems to be mostly spread through droplets, but the way I see it the cost in time and material is minimal so might as well.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 06, 2020, 05:54:12 PM
Is anyone disinfecting their shopping when they get it home? I've seen a lot of stuff on socials about how you need to remove all covering and spray everything with antibacterials and keep a dirty zone by your front door and god knows what else. I've taken the bread and fruit out of its wrappers but there's no way I'm soaking my Alpen in bleach. If you leave a cardboard box 12-24 hours all the COVID will die anyhow, plastic takes a bit longer.

Asda at 9am today had everything except soap, hand wash, and flour. NOBODY except me was following the arrows though.

Oh fuck no. I'm unpacking then timing my daily showering for after exercise and shopping anyway. Then trying not to touch what I bought for 24hrs (ish, I'm not being that exact about it)

Part of me wants to acquire immortality immunity if it's going.

ollyboro

Quote from: Cloud on April 06, 2020, 05:58:21 PM
I wipe down (with alcohol) anything like bottles, cans, solid surface outer packaging etc.  Supposedly it's overkill as not a lot of the virus sits on hard surfaces and it seems to be mostly spread through droplets, but the way I see it the cost in time and material is minimal so might as well.

Waste of good cider, mate

Cloud

greencalx

I think If you've already been to the supermarket in person then the additional gain of scrubbing your shopping when you get home is likely to be marginal.

Abnormal Palm

My mate in Wuhan would clean all packages outside the house (when delivered) with 70% alcohol type stuff. She managed ten weeks of isolation without getting the vid so I'm gonna do similar. Their government told them to do that.

I take everything out and put it on a table (we don't eat at that table). I then bin the carrier bag and wash my hands. Then I spray each item with rubbing alcohol and wipe it down with lens wipes which also contain isopropyl. Once complete, I wash my hands again and put the stuff away. I don't go back to any item for 24 hours. Then I put my clothes straight in the washing machine and go straight to the shower, keeping aware of my hands and minimising contact with any surfaces. Then I wipe those surfaces and taps etc down with rubbing alcohol and lens wipes.

Might seem excessive but it's better to be safe for now, without being too inane.

massive bereavement

Quote from: greencalx on April 06, 2020, 06:54:52 PM
I think If you've already been to the supermarket in person then the additional gain of scrubbing your shopping when you get home is likely to be marginal.

Yeah, seems logical for a virus that spreads this quickly to infect the vast majority of people via droplets hanging in the air 0-10 minutes after a carrier has breathed them out before you got there. Hard to imagine Covid is fannying about with fomites.

With no transport, I've got no choice but to make at least two trips a week. The local rag has been reporting confirmed cases in my town for a while now, so it's here and I know it's almost certainly been floating around in the shops I visit. Unless I've already had it, I'm going to catch it soon enough and if I'm dying out of my own arse with it, I won't be regretting not wiping things down, I'll have caught it through not holding my breath for a full 10 minutes whilst chucking stuff into the basket.

Dewt

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on April 06, 2020, 08:11:29 PM
I take everything out and put it on a table (we don't eat at that table). I then bin the carrier bag and wash my hands. Then I spray each item with rubbing alcohol and wipe it down with lens wipes which also contain isopropyl. Once complete, I wash my hands again and put the stuff away. I don't go back to any item for 24 hours. Then I put my clothes straight in the washing machine and go straight to the shower, keeping aware of my hands and minimising contact with any surfaces. Then I wipe those surfaces and taps etc down with rubbing alcohol and lens wipes.
I do this but without the wiping. I just quarantine everything in a room for a full week before it goes into the pantry. When I run out of refrigerated/frozen stuff and have to get more I'll wipe that down (although to be honest I'm just going to buy dry stuff, it's not going to do me too much harm during this).

batwings

I've been following the advice in this video on making  food shopping and take aways safer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKx-F4AKteE

Takes a bit of time but it's worth it, I feel. (the beard is optional)

Emma Raducanu

The problem with being that thorough, is after 5 minutes, no matter how well intentioned, I'd lose interest and just chuck everything in the fridge, then just rip into the pack of biscuits and watch an episode of curb.

Kryton

Just had a hearty meal of mexican rice and a tin of sardines. Not bad at all.
Might round it off with a banana.

Cold Meat Platter

Was confused by my booze being authorised remotely while at the self scan checkouts today. Was standing about like a tosser for a bit while the staff member 20ft away kept giving me 'there you go' nods.  No security tags on the bottles now either.

timebug

Local Aldi seems to have settled on a 'one out, one in' policy. Large bouncer type security geezer letting one shopper inside as one shopper exits. About ten people inside,and it is a fairly huge place; get your stuff, then queue at the checkout,where the tapes on the floor indicate two metres, for those too thick to calculate how far that is. Quite painless,and only had to wait outside for about two minutes, before the friendly giant let me in. Also managed to get everything I needed, the panic buying/shelf stripping seems to have abated!

massive bereavement

There were cones everywhere outside my local this morning, they've turned it into an assault course, couldn't see where the hell I was supposed to be going in because there was no queue. Finally got my bearings, just about to enter through the doors, guy stops me and says "one adult only", somehow mistaking my daughter for an adult, so I start arguing with him and then a female security guard comes over and says to him "She's fine to go in, she's a little girl" which pissed my daughter off no end. Inside it was very busy, impossible to keep a safe distance, still no Quorn products.

Glyn

Quote from: timebug on April 07, 2020, 09:27:12 AM
Local Aldi seems to have settled on a 'one out, one in' policy. Large bouncer type security geezer letting one shopper inside as one shopper exits. About ten people inside,and it is a fairly huge place; get your stuff, then queue at the checkout,where the tapes on the floor indicate two metres, for those too thick to calculate how far that is. Quite painless,and only had to wait outside for about two minutes, before the friendly giant let me in. Also managed to get everything I needed, the panic buying/shelf stripping seems to have abated!
Possibly coincidence but the Aldi near us has been a pleasure everytime I've been there the last few weeks.  Very organised, clean and well stocked. The local Lidl though still feels like Mad Max (what's changed etc.) Didn't used to think there was much difference between the two but clearly Aldi are a lot more organised (around here at least).

C_Larence

Today I went shopping by myself for the first time since this all started (the one other time I'd been out was with my Dad a week or two ago). Got about £40 worth of stuff from the local Waitrose, but accidentally pressed call for assistance on the self checkout machine instead of finish and pay, then once that had been sorted I pressed the right button, but I think I just left without actually paying... No money's been taken out of my account, and when I was almost home I felt my card in my pocket and knew that was the first time I'd touched it since I left the house. I think it's been so long, and everything is so distracting now, that I forgot how paying for things works.

It's annoying because it was only the second time (the first was the aforementioned trip with my Dad) I've been to that Waitrose since I got fired from there a couple of years ago. I'd been a bit embarrassed about it because they'd offered me a job at another location and I effectively ghosted them. Now I probably won't be able to go ever again.

I'll be honest, I've wanted to get into shoplifting for a long time, but I'm not sure if this is an opportunity or a risky time to do so. The scan as you shop apps are surely a godsend for pilferage. Self checkouts meanwhile become higher risk with less punters per sqft to distract the person correcting your 'mistakes'.

Any tips (including those regarding Catholic guilt) gratefully received.

C_Larence

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on April 07, 2020, 11:05:50 PM
I'll be honest, I've wanted to get into shoplifting for a long time, but I'm not sure if this is an opportunity or a risky time to do so. The scan as you shop apps are surely a godsend for pilferage. Self checkouts meanwhile become higher risk with less punters per sqft to distract the person correcting your 'mistakes'.

Any tips (including those regarding Catholic guilt) gratefully received.

My advice would be don't know you're doing it.

idunnosomename

having bouncers at tesco who get to quote government orders at you that no more than one per household is allowed in store at a time is kinda well intimidating

There's a nice lady guard outside our local Tescos. I mean she's tuff but she's nice. Sometimes I think about if we were married and she dressed up like Xena warrior princess and punched me into the mattress each night.