Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:21:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grocery shopping

Started by peanutbutter, March 17, 2020, 01:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

It's food, snap is a word for food.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 20, 2020, 05:27:38 PM
Get your booze in NOW.

That bottle of Cointreau is now fair game. After the virus itself my biggest threat has been alcoholism. I've had to force myself to not drink since Thursday as I was drinking most days and starting in the morning. Empty vodka bottles materialising beside the kitchen bin. Drunk in underpants at 11.00am on Tuesday listening to house music on the smart TV.

My aim is to stay off the sauce until next Wednesday.

Buelligan

And try to keep going after that if you can.  Not stressing at all about whether or not I can get some booze lifts a huge amount off.  I remember the days when I'd feel the absolute imperative to have a reliable supply, dreadful.  Not to mention the advantages of tip-top liver function when entering this particular ring.  Knock the booze (and cigs for those that smoke) on the head, if you possibly can, you'll be glad you did.

checkoutgirl

Don't smoke but booze kills boredom and it's something to look forward to. I think getting sloshed twice a week strikes the right balance between health and not going crazy with boredom.

timebug

We have an Aldi which opened two years back, two minutes from my place. Usually, its great for nipping over to get a few bits and bobs.Because of the panic mentality created by Covid-19, I had to go last week for some stuff and it was like a bear garden.
The queues at the checkout went almost to the back of the shop. Shelves stripped of bogroll, tins, fresh meat and fresh veg.
I got what I needed,except for one item.I also went to the local Tesco,which is a ten minute walk away, and found empty shelves, but amazingly, did get the things I had gone in for! Otherwise, I am trying to self isolate, but living alone makes this tricky. I have a young cousin who offered to shop for me, but twice I have texted her to ask, and she has been 'too busy'.
Mental times, but hey, I examined my birth certificate, and even in the small print, there are no guarantees about anything!

greencalx

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on March 22, 2020, 08:56:04 AM
Walked around Sainsber's last night and genuinely thought I was going to start crying for a second. I'm a generally stoic sort and can count on one hand the times I've cried as an adult, but there was something about the sparsity on the shelves that made me feel pretty helpless. Strange times.

I had the same reaction on Thursday night. Returning in the morning helped a lot to calm me down.

Word on the street is that smaller stores are generally doing ok. Look for places that have no parking.

Buelligan

For those going crazy with isolated boredom, do use CaB. 

I've been alone for years.  Hardly interacting with a living soul.  I've been completely alone (apart from emails and here) for the last month or so, talking with people here can be a great help.  In fact, it can entirely overcome those feelings of disconnection.  So stick around, it's a marvelous resource. 

On the drinking thing, I'd also add that, as with most drugs, alcohol has a nasty depressing come-down.  Not ideal when you're alone and feeling a bit like it's the end of the world anyway.  But we must all choose for ourselves, obvs.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Buelligan on March 22, 2020, 09:51:27 AM
For those going crazy with isolated boredom, do use CaB. 

I've found CaB inpenetrable for the last 10 days or so. Whenever a social phenomenon happens CaB just gets swamped by the order of the day. Current one being the virus. I give up on CaB in those times.

Playstation 2, Youtube, Netflix and my collection of films and TV should keep me in good stead. Just started on 1986 TV serial Crime Story and it's decent.

Christ at this rate I'll be reading books and exercising by the end of next week!!

Buelligan

There are other boards here, remember that.  They're all still functioning and virus-free, use them if you need them.  That's my advice. 

H-O-W-L

I'm out of bourbon now, and I'm probably gonna try and snag another bottle when I'm back at work, but otherwise I'm topped up with beans and other shite.

I have accrued a load of books that sit unread in a pile. One of them is 'how to survive the end of the world (when it's all in your head)'. The ship has sailed on that one, right?

Back to shopping, I did eventually get a reasonable haul with some improvisation. And that included a trip to my old corner shop haunt from my last house. The fucker short-changed me until I said I would be trying to give small businesses my money from now on in idle chit chat. Thrust another 10p in my hand from nowhere. But he was still a penny short. Faintly amusing at least.

I don't think going early doors will do me any favours. I went late to avoid people so not to see the worst of humanity in close quarters. I guess my little observation felt a little like walking in on a scene after something bad had happened. Lots of people doing the best they can in the face of adversity, but it still being out of their hands.

Galeee

You can freeze eggs if you beat them and freeze the goo in something like a cupcake baking tray, then bag it up.

Buelligan

If I'm honest, the day I'll want to eat frozen egg goo will be sometime, quite a long time I'm guessing, after there is no electricity for freezers.

Dex Sawash

Could just make cupcakes and freeze them for futuregg

idunnosomename

i like potatoes

cause they aint got no bones

massive bereavement

As somebody with sensory issues, I really do want to limit my trips to the supermarket from now on. I'm used to going when there's barely anybody about. I'd like to be able to take one of my kids with me so they can help me carry stuff and to generally feel less of a weirdo, but I'm worried they're going to limit it to one person only.

Also worrying about the prospect of police/army stopping people to ask where they are going, I'm prepared for the basic question or two but I can become very confused if they throw in a curveball or some small talk, I'll look as guilty as hell and they'll suspect I'm going to sell drugs or something. It's all very nice that people are coming together, community spirit and all that, but being on the spectrum it's ramping up my anxiety levels.

wooders1978

I can't risk being a crowd due my mother who is bang in the vulnerable side - got enough here now to last me a week at least, very probably more - I am now getting concerned they will be forced to close the supermarkets as people keep showing up there in big herds - they shopping issue needs to be addressed ASAP

Butchers Blind

I bought some eggs!  Actual eggs.  I felt like Tom Waits in that Buster Scruggs film when he finds gold.

Sebastian Cobb

Eggs last a lot longer than their sell-by dates suggest tbf. Just float test 'em innit.

Buelligan

idunnosomename

Ive never had an egg go rotten

bgmnts

Noticed booze is still tapped out.

Is alcohol genuinely that important? I've always seen it as a big waste of time where the negatives far outweigh the positives but people seem to be unable to function without it.

Might start drinking.

Pseudopath

Yeah...left in their shells, eggs are usually good as gold.

Whisked into a big jug and left for on a Moroccan breakfast bar swarming with flies for four hours = one manky omelette, a 5-day case of gastroenteritis and one unforgettable holiday (although YMMV).

idunnosomename

i put this in the main thread but moved it here. i think its interesting to consider that it's not the result of loads of people being selfish greedy cunts. yes some people are (though I havent seen any videos of English people fighting, only American ones) but that it's a phenomenon that's come from a spike in demand that the trade just wasn't prepared for

https://twitter.com/Greg_Callus/status/1241507154030473216

although i see one of glinner's terf army is in there being a cunt about it. because that's the way you deal with reasoned arguments about people not being inherently malicious

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Still shopping almost exclusively at my local corner shop. They've got everything, even hand sanitiser. Completely off the radar for the high street dafties.

wooders1978

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on March 22, 2020, 01:52:25 PM
Still shopping almost exclusively at my local corner shop. They've got everything, even hand sanitiser. Completely off the radar for the high street dafties.

Thankfully the village shop near me is an undiscovered gem to a certain extent, farm shops and butchers were also relatively quiet until the facebook idiots started with "go to the butchers!! They've got loads!!!" And the cat was very much let out the bag

gib

It's stressful as fuck working in a shop right now so when you use your local shop please:

don't pick stuff up and then put it back on the shelf

let the person on the till see the price tickets on the things you're buying so they don't have to touch them

try to pay contactless

don't lean in over the counter you fucking cunt

if you do pay cash, don't expect the change to be placed in your hand

don't hang around for a chat, just fuck off please

Pseudopath

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 22, 2020, 02:02:19 PM
And the cat was very much let out the bag

It'll probably have to be put back in there if these food shortages continue. ;_;

Brian Freeze

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 22, 2020, 02:02:19 PM
Thankfully the village shop near me is an undiscovered gem to a certain extent, farm shops and butchers were also relatively quiet until the facebook idiots started with "go to the butchers!! They've got loads!!!" And the cat was very much let out the bag

Our butcher was wondering if people would remember where his shop was after all this was over. With a smile on his face. Joked about maybe finally being able to retire too.

ollyboro

Town centre's empty by all accounts. I assume every fucker's at home auditing their toilet paper. "Audrey, if we've both had four shits, at four wipes a shite, and 2 sheets a shite....there should be 283 toilet rolls left!! I can only see 282!!"
"Don't forget your 2 wanks, Henry dear".