Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:38:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grocery shopping

Started by peanutbutter, March 17, 2020, 01:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attila

Quote from: pigamus on May 07, 2020, 08:07:58 PM
But why the fuck would you go to a major supermarket if that's all you want?

Especially as there is a McColls in the same shopping precinct about 100 meters away, with no queue.

Sebastian Cobb

Prefer farmfoods to iceland, where people look at you like you're trying to steal the frozen onions.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 07, 2020, 10:34:18 PM
one bloke in a golf jumper today in Aldi, pissing about choosing Shiraz, blocking the aisle (which has a bunch of stock trolleys on the other side), blocking the way for someone else, who had to wait, then when he'd finished, just walked right past her

utter cuntery

Going to need a sketch of this event I think

Dewt

I really miss the suspiciously cheap but intensely delicious duck spring rolls you can get from the likes of Iceland and Farm Foods. I don't care what you say, those were good.

Jasha

Quote from: Tombola on May 07, 2020, 11:29:40 PM
This is in Royal Tunbridge Wells, a place where people vote for the worst things but are polite in Iceland.

Can't get my head around the presence of an Iceland in Royal Tonbridge Wells

Gulftastic

The Government has finally told Sainsburys I am on the vulnerable list, so I can book with them now. Got a slot for this Sunday evening.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Dewt on May 08, 2020, 01:00:43 AM
I really miss the suspiciously cheap but intensely delicious duck spring rolls you can get from the likes of Iceland and Farm Foods. I don't care what you say, those were good.

Iceland are still doing them - I got a couple of packs in my Iceland delivery this week. (Did someone mention upthread that Iceland delivery slots are gettable at the moment? They release them at 11.00 every morning, and you have to wait in a queue for a while, but I got one for a couple of days later.Freezer now full of fish fingers, waffles and peas. They're good for Vimto too, Iceland.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on May 08, 2020, 01:00:43 AM

I used to live near a chinese supermarket/wholesalers, the stuff in there was next level. Often the packaging was just a plain white box but it's full of mini samosa like things with green curry like paste in it. Great stuff.

Tombola

Quote from: Jasha on May 08, 2020, 05:44:37 AM
Can't get my head around the presence of an Iceland in Royal Tonbridge Wells

Well I live in the 'projects' bit of RTW.

Cloud

Definitely quite tired of it. You don't realise when someone else usually does the household shopping just how much 3 people can eat and drink in 4 or 5 days.

Another Tesco trip last night when people were too busy being at home doing the happy clappy (which has worn a bit thin now).  It wasn't crowded (no queue at all as not many in) but it was pretty arduous still. Having to get in close quarters with the trolley sanitising guy so I can get one of the decent sized trolleys instead of the silly shallow ones. Wanting a cauliflower and waiting fucking ages while some oldish bloke stands there staring at them and studying them all like his life depends on it (maybe some of them are booby trapped?). Giving up, going down the bread aisle, jumping to one side to let a tailgater charge past, squeezing at close range past the staff who've decided the end of the aisle is a.good place to mess with the big cart things, going back to the veg aisle to see cauli bloke is still umming and ahhing about which one looks the best, avoiding more trolley dashers for a bit, finally getting access to a cauliflower, getting in pincer attacks from people who don't give two shits about the one way system...

The checkouts are well organised though. They shout at you if you so much as have the wheel on your trolley sticking out too far.

Dewt

Gurke: I live in a place that culturally fears duck and anything that could potentially be considered exotic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2020, 12:01:24 PM
I used to live near a chinese supermarket/wholesalers, the stuff in there was next level. Often the packaging was just a plain white box but it's full of mini samosa like things with green curry like paste in it. Great stuff.
Me too. The big breaded surumi crab claws embedded in a real claw shell were a favourite.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2020, 12:01:24 PM

There was a similar grocery store/wholesalers that closed a few months ago. Sold live jellyfish and all sorts.

They had really good frozen steamed buns, 2 mins in the microwave and they were the absolute business.

We shall not see their like again.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on May 08, 2020, 01:55:09 PM
Gurke: I live in a place that culturally fears duck and anything that could potentially be considered exotic

Every time I've had duck not from a Chinese takeaway it has invariably disappointed.

Fr.Bigley

Waitrose is particularly pleasant at the minute, that's not me saying I'm a Waitrose shopper but it's my closest supermarket. They've employed some nice touches, cleaning stations every 5 meters, a radio sporting doorman that politely tells you it's all alright and I can now go in safely. The essentials artichoke hearts are in plentiful supply and the self checkout assumes I don't need the receipt because a patron of such an establishment would never steal chivas regal with no tag on.

I can see why people shop here. A bit like Booths but with only marginally less range rovers and pink cheeked Aryan future rulers.

8/10

"Would prefer a wider range of findus crispy owl"

Bently Sheds

The "one person per household only" rule that the doorman of Morrisons told me about earlier in the week seems to have been abandoned. Mrs Sheds said the place was heaving with couples this afternoon.

Dex Sawash

Wife loves crab dip, subbed in surimi "crab" from Lidl last week and got away with it. $2 for 10z

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 08, 2020, 08:02:45 PM
Wife loves crab dip, subbed in surimi "crab" from Lidl last week and got away with it. $2 for 10z

what in gods name is $2 and further more what in sweet hell is 10z

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 08, 2020, 08:25:38 PM
what in gods name is $2 and further more what in sweet hell is 10z

Both are fractions of a pound

Polymorphia

Noticed from doing my shops that in the past 2-3 weeks (though seems to have properly come into force now) that the one-way system in the shops has become deliberately more convoluted, trying to make people walk around almost the whole shop to try and buy milk, with subtle signs directing them into specific aisles, as opposed to just making the shop like a bunch of dual-way carriages. Tbh, it's no bother, given the circumstances... I still see people just ignore the whole system entirely, walking the opposite way down aisles, and my talking to the odd member of staff in checkout (following guidelines, naturally) has revealed they're constantly dealing with that kind of shit

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Dewt on May 08, 2020, 01:55:09 PM

Oh aye, yeah. The American thing about duck is a bit weird given that half the country seems to be hunting them at any given time.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Bently Sheds on May 08, 2020, 04:31:01 PM
The "one person per household only" rule that the doorman of Morrisons told me about earlier in the week seems to have been abandoned. Mrs Sheds said the place was heaving with couples this afternoon.

That's because they've all got the 'vid and they all had "orgy" on their bucket list.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Tombola on May 08, 2020, 12:14:02 PM
Well I live in the 'projects' bit of RTW.

Sounds like we've got one of those Sherwood estate undesirables. Surprised you're even allowed in Iceland TBH.

Pranet

Anyone been shopping today? I was wondering if the recent "advice" to wear masks in "some" shops had had any effect. I'm sort of neutral on how useful they will actually be but if everyone has decided to wear them I don't want to shamed on the local facebook group.

Captain Crunch

I went to ALDI and B&M at about half six yesterday.  Really quiet, loads of stock, clean, well managed, lovely.  Didn't see many people and no one in a mask, I'm sure you'll be fine. 

Jockice

Quote from: Pranet on May 12, 2020, 06:04:17 PM
Anyone been shopping today? I was wondering if the recent "advice" to wear masks in "some" shops had had any effect. I'm sort of neutral on how useful they will actually be but if everyone has decided to wear them I don't want to shamed on the local facebook group.

I've been today. Waitrose first thing this morning. There were a few people wearing masks but by no means all.

Anyway, I bought too much (I have actually managed to get a delivery from Tesco but it's not for a week's time) so separated the two bags into fridge stuff and non-fridge stuff. Now to get into my flat I have to get out of the wheelchair, open the main door and lift the chair up a step. No problem. I've done it loads of times. Only this time the bag - which I'd put on the seat - tilted over and everything fell out. Which meant I had to go onto my hands and knees to pick it up.

What happened next? Exactly the same as last time it happened - in fact the only time it's happened before. The bloke from the flat upstairs, suddenly appears, sees me on the ground and assumes I've fallen over. And then makes a big fuss about helping me up, while actually making it more difficult for me to get up.

I mean he's lovely and all that but he obviously thinks I'm incapable of looking after myself. Which I might be, but I've brought stuff in from the car that way probably over a hundred times and he appears the only two times the bag falls off. An absolute masterpiece of timing.

He did insist on bringing  my non-fridge stuff in from my car by himself. Fine by me. Probably thought I'd drop the six-pack of baked beans on my own head of something.

olliebean

Surely the correct response would be to ask you if you need any help first. This reminds me of an ancient sketch about a boy scout who helps an old lady across the road, and it turns out she didn't want to cross.

Jockice

Quote from: olliebean on May 12, 2020, 07:42:47 PM
Surely the correct response would be to ask you if you need any help first. This reminds me of an ancient sketch about a boy scout who helps an old lady across the road, and it turns out she didn't want to cross.

Yeah, but I'm not holding it against him. We've been neighbours for around a quarter of a century. He knows what I'm like now compared to what I was then, and he couldn't have got past anyway as my chair was in the way. Just an awkward situation. I suppose I could have asked him to go back to his flat for a few minutes while I did it myself, but that would have just sounded weird. Plus he does help me sometimes. For instance when I go away I usually have a schoolmate come round and feed my cat but he does it if this if my friend's not available. He really is a genuinely nice guy. He's just got uncanny timing. Honestly, I see him more often than my other four neighbours put together. It's like nuns having periods at the same time. It's become a standing joke between us.

It's true though (and I'm sure Cerys will back me up on this) that some people just see wheelchairs as big prams. and the people in them as being huge babies. I have had total strangers come up behind me and start pushing. Lots of times

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jockice on May 12, 2020, 08:20:07 PM
It's true though (and I'm sure Cerys will back me up on this) that some people just see wheelchairs as big prams. and the people in them as being huge babies. I have had total strangers come up behind me and start pushing. Lots of times

Time to get medieval on their asses:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-49584591

Jockice

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 12, 2020, 11:49:04 PM
Time to get medieval on their asses:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-49584591

Oh yeah. I know Bronwyn and Amy on Twitter and they're perfectly right. I've had many of these interactions. There are some bloody weird people about. How I react depends totally on how I'm feeling on that day. so I've had a few hurt 'I was only trying to help's which I just usually smile and shake my head at. Yeah, whatever. But (and I said this recently if not on this site another one) if someone rolls their eyes or calls me 'stubborn' (or even worse 'proud and stubborn' I want to brutally murder them on the spot.

As for yesterday's grocery spill incident my first thought wasn't: "Great, now I'm going to have to get onto the ground to pick these up." It was: "Great, now I'm going to have to get onto the ground to pick these up and while I'm doing so Ian will appear." I knew it was going to happen. It always does.

Quote from: Pranet on May 12, 2020, 06:04:17 PM

I wore a mask today for the first time when at the supermarket. Felt daft really as none of the staff or security wore masks. Thankfully a few fellow NHS workers were masked as the store began to fill up a bit. One observation was that prices seemed higher this week.