Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grocery shopping

Started by peanutbutter, March 17, 2020, 01:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

massive bereavement

No security on the doors now at either of the supermarkets I go to around 9am, you can just wander straight in. The barriers for the queue lane are still outside however and three men were stood close together chatting right at the entrance, practically blocking it, so every single person intent on entering the shop had to squeezer right past inbetween them whilst they were laughing and shouting at one another, you'd be showered in virus droplets if any of them had it and they were still there when I came out. One woman going in who'd just passed them looked furious. Regardless of safe distancing, what brain dead idiots would stand in front of an entrance where people are constantly coming and going? They could have stood anywhere, why there? And then they don't think to move after countless people have had to manoeuvre between them, right in their faces. Unreal.

Last week, there were two security men at the other store walking side by side towards me and my daughter along a fairly wide path, my daughter moved to walk behind me as I move right over to the edge. Bloke in the high-vis carries on heading straight for me and almost squashes me into the wall.  This is somebody who's presumably there to keep people apart when he isn't off on a fag break.

Bently Sheds

Morrisons was packed this morning. The security guard was waving everyone through, the one way entrance & exit system was completely ignored by a couple of people and the aisles were chock full of shoulder barging pensioners. Social distancing wasn't on anybody's mind. Only the checkouts were being policed.

It looks like people think the lockdown is over. The roads are back to normal, the garden centre is rammed, Homebase carpark is full. The second wave will hit hard...

timebug

Spotty sixteen year old 'security man' at the door of our local supermarket, texting and snapchatting away with his mates. Just walked in, did my shop, mostly okay in the scattered shoppers,aside from the usual idiots who imagine that the two metre zone exists in a straight line,forward and back;so it is okay in their book, to barge into people as they return down an aisle, to grab something they had forgotten. Most stuff available,with a couple of notable shortages, but nothing I can't live without!

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 13, 2020, 08:05:37 AM
I wore a mask today for the first time when at the supermarket. Felt daft really as none of the staff or security wore masks. Thankfully a few fellow NHS workers were masked as the store began to fill up a bit. One observation was that prices seemed higher this week.

Certain times of day seem to attract the mask wearers. The middle-aged and old folks in the mornings never bother, but the shifty-looking lads in the evening love the chance to look like a cowboy/ninja/Korean. And some people look like they're straight from dental nursing. I've still not figured how to keep a mask on my nose for the duration of the shopping trip so I may take my changes with the germs.

Captain Poodle Basher

Hadn't much of a workload yesterday so skived off for an hour to do grocery shopping.

I went into M&S as it's usually sparsely populated and everyone keeps their distance.

Unfortunately, I got my timing wrong so that myself, and the other dozen or so shoppers were an audience to a pair of tweedy Lesbian academics (that's what they looked like at any rate) having a passive-aggressive to-do about what should and what should not go in their shared trolley. Mostly it seemed to be that the 'Shouldn't' items were whatever the other chose for themselves. They did the same routine on each aisle they visited doing a reverse Supermarket Sweep as they yanked each other's choice of groceries out of the trolley and crammed it back on the shelves. Accompanied by hissed "Yes", "No and "Don't you even dare!"

As we waited for them to finally fuck off, I comforted myself with the thought of them spending an enjoyable evening pushing each other down a flight of stairs.

Cloud

Seeing more with masks on now (before it was usually just me and one other oddball) but by no means everyone.

Had to do a little Tesco run yesterday... mid afternoon Google said "less busy than usual" but the queue outside was a mile long. Went for a wander while the car sipped on a free charge, returned when there were only about 2 people in the queue expecting it to still be heaving inside (last time I went during a queue time they let too many in and it was manic).  It was blissfully sparse inside. I guess they might have had a word about the overcrowding.

Rammed in sainsburys this arvo. Totally different to the last 6 weeks. Hardly any queue aisle packed. Scarey

Icehaven

The two supermarkets we've been going to (massive Asda, small Co-op) still very much have a queuing system and limited numbers, with the Co-Op limiting it to about 5 or 6, which is great. I'm really surprised to hear so many places have given up on it completely already, although this area (West Midlands) is one of the worst hit so maybe some shops are actually trying to be vaguely responsible.

greencalx

In the last week, my local Sainsbury's has replaced rows of trolleys that were being used as makeshift queue barriers with actual barriers, and has installed more perspex screens at the self-checkouts. So in one sense it's moving towards increased protection. However, more people seem to be going in in pairs now, and a number of people seem to like to block the aisles for no reason, and make no effort to move to a safe distance to let people past.

olliebean

Never mind getting a delivery slot, you can't even get onto the Tesco website now.

Quote from: TescoYou're now in a queue to shop with us. Please keep this page open – it will refresh automatically.

No indication of how long the queue is or how long it will take. Had it open for 15 minutes already. You can't even use it to check prices or offers before physically going to the store.

Fr.Bigley

Imagine getting narked off about a virtual queue. The most British thing ever, go make a cup of tea love.

olliebean

Imagine getting narked off about someone posting about an issue related to grocery shopping in a thread about grocery shopping...

Half an hour now, still not in.

Fr.Bigley

Have you tried tutting? Love ya really.

Gulftastic

Missing all of this. Four weeks since I left my flat now. I know because I've run out of me pills.

Cloud

Got a collection organised last night for this evening.  Result!  Saves dodging the Tesco hordes.  This was so much easier and safer.

There were absolute fucktons of people at 5:30pm

Suprised you lot haven't bought this up yet. Forgive me of it's up thread, I'm new. Have we all noticed the demise of any supermarket offers. No half prices no bogof all disappeared when the horders showed up and haven't returned. In a time of national emergency and huge record profits all.round for our supermarkets, I'm suprised you lot aren't all over ths. Too busy threatening little old men.

Shame on you.

Quote from: Cloud on May 21, 2020, 07:59:57 PM
Got a collection organised last night for this evening.  Result!  Saves dodging the Tesco hordes.  This was so much easier and safer.

There were absolute fucktons of people at 5:30pm

/Tony Blair

massive bereavement

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 21, 2020, 08:15:32 PM
Suprised you lot haven't bought this up yet. Forgive me of it's up thread, I'm new. Have we all noticed the demise of any supermarket offers. No half prices no bogof all disappeared when the horders showed up and haven't returned. In a time of national emergency and huge record profits all.round for our supermarkets, I'm suprised you lot aren't all over ths. Too busy threatening little old men.

Shame on you.

Have bought pizzas half-price the last few weeks, but there does appear to be fewer items on offer than usual. I've always been able to buy things like HP sauce and crisps on offer at one store or another but not recently.

Cloud

Mate, bottled ales in Tesco have gone from their usual 3 for £5 (£1.70 individually, so a whopping saving of 10p) to 4 for £6 (a saving of 80p).  The supermarkets are looking out for those in need.

Sebastian Cobb

The flipside of this is that supply-chain problems and unpredictable demand mean that there's some offers to be had in the 'about to go out of date' section. Also means you could turn up and there's fuck all staples left in the shop, mind.

Jittlebags

Got a cosignment of (mixed flavour) Hi Chews delivered from Amazon this morning.

Sebastian Cobb

I went to the tesco garage because I've been too lazy to do a much-needed proper shop and it's the worst I've encountered. I was waiting for a dawdling lady in the fruit aisle and someone was waiting for me, I think we were both a bit fidgety but had committed, some grubby fucker basically steamrollered me without saying excuse me and there were enough spengs flouting the one-way markings that I had to check it wasn't me being the dickhead.

On the plus side they seem to have a £5 meal-deal tie in with 'The Pizza Company' which gets you a big pizza, side (2 pack garlic pizza things, chicken stuff or a pudding) and a 3 pack of garlic dip. The branding and the sides all look like a dominoes rip off as well. A nice bit of familiar junk food.

imitationleather

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 22, 2020, 07:40:19 PM
On the plus side they seem to have a £5 meal-deal tie in with 'The Pizza Company' which gets you a big pizza, side (2 pack garlic pizza things, chicken stuff or a pudding) and a 3 pack of garlic dip. The branding and the sides all look like a dominoes rip off as well. A nice bit of familiar junk food.

Pretty certain 'The Pizza Company' is just a fake Tesco brand but that doesn't stop it from being fine eating.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There was an article on BBC about a guy who sold 20 dollar pizzas who could use a delivery app and actually make money by buying it from there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/technology-52724062

The only thing I was thinking while reading was: fucking 20 fucking dollars for a fucking pizza, why not just cunt it up your swamp thing you absolute rectal watercolour.

Sebastian Cobb

That's probably about right, if you're stupid enough to pay full price at Dominoes aren't they about £20 here?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 22, 2020, 08:23:35 PM
That's probably about right, if you're stupid enough to pay full price at Dominoes aren't they about £20 here?

What's 'about right' about that?

Sebastian Cobb

Well, yes fair enough. It's the unfair market rate.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on May 22, 2020, 08:13:20 PM
Pretty certain 'The Pizza Company' is just a fake Tesco brand but that doesn't stop it from being fine eating.

It was decent enough. My parents phoned and I ended up chatting a while and it was quite late when I went to cook my dinner. I needed to eat but wasn't starving. In the end I realised (given there were 2) a garlic bread and half the pizza would've been the perfect amount and I could have the rest tomorrow. So I got out my kitchen scissors and cut the uncooked pizza in half, which felt like I was doing something really naughty. Like acting out a Peter's mad thought.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 22, 2020, 08:19:21 PM
There was an article on BBC about a guy who sold 20 dollar pizzas who could use a delivery app and actually make money by buying it from there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/technology-52724062

Actual story is linked from that article:
https://themargins.substack.com/p/doordash-and-pizza-arbitrage

Blue Jam

Was buying a lot of reduced ready meals from Tesco but it's always cottage pie and now I never want to see another cottage pie ever again.