Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:33:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grocery shopping

Started by peanutbutter, March 17, 2020, 01:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Ray Travez on June 25, 2020, 01:06:22 AM
Did pretty well, spent about £30. Should make that back reselling a few items, then the rest of the stuff is paid for by that.

Cool story bro.

Ray Travez

it's hardly a story. I suppose the last 11 words are somewhat extraneous, but I didn't have time to run it past my editor

dissolute ocelot

Hosannah! Finally got easy bake yeast after more than 3 months! Let the angels rest happy on their clouds. Their very fluffy clouds.

Cloud

Well, Tesco's given up.  No more queuing system outside, so presumably no limit on number of customers, no more pre-sanitisation of trolleys (which you wouldn't realise unless you're paying attention to the bottles they put in the entrance so you can DIY), no more one way system.  All pretty much normal.  I used the self scan system for the first time since the pandemic (might as well as I wear a mask so don't touch my face, and sanitise my hands afterwards anyway) and of course got selected to see if I'd nicked anything.  Back to normal.

Blue Jam

The Tescos here have ditched the one-way system too. Thank fuck, one-way systems make me omnicidal. Just got to deal with the utterly pointless one at my werkplace now.

Sebastian Cobb

The one-way really speeds up an express I find. Unless there's some slowcoach up front.

Blue Jam

There is always some slowcoach up front.

Cloud

Yeah to be fair, I'm not criticising the dropping of the one way system.  It seemed a good idea except for the fact that a) literally no fucker followed it anyway and b) if you did try to follow it, you inevitably came across someone who dawdles or manages to block the entire aisle with their trolley, and we're all trying to balance a desire to stay safe with the desire to exit the shop some time before losing the will to live.

Blue Jam

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 09, 2020, 02:45:34 PM
Hosannah! Finally got easy bake yeast after more than 3 months! Let the angels rest happy on their clouds. Their very fluffy clouds.

You really should check out the Homebrew Thread. Lots of yeast enthusiasm in there and  lots of discussion of baking as a side project.

I'm not a fan of easy bake yeast because it shoots its load on the first prove and isn't good for multiple proves or a slow rise, but it's fine for something like pizza dough or if you're just impatient and want some nice bread ASAP.

I was also struggling to find yeast and ended up buying some overpriced Mauripan yeast off eBay and have been having great results with it doing slow and lazy breads.

I have also been baking using the ale yeast left at the bottom of my fermenting vessel and made some lovely flavoursome breads with it. I've also been baking with bottle-conditioned ale and the yeast in that, and I made a starter with raisin yeast.

Right now I'm making a Brettanomyces starter with some beer containing that particular species of yeast, and I will see if that bread tastes nice, or if it even rises, in the next few days.

If you're not a nerd like me easy bake yeast is much less of a faff though, yes.

seepage

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 12, 2020, 11:16:15 AM
Brettanomyces

have you been at pancreas' wine fridge again?

Blue Jam

No, but the chances are you would find some Brettanomyces in there as it's used to make wine, as well as numerous Belgian beers.

I have never tried baking with yeast from wine sediment, mainly because I see wine sediment so rarely. I guess it is possible to bake with Champagne though, bottle-conditioned as it is, and Champagne yeast can be good for making beer...

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 12, 2020, 11:16:15 AM
You really should check out the Homebrew Thread. Lots of yeast enthusiasm in there and  lots of discussion of baking as a side project.
Thanks but I'm really just throwing things in the breadmaker rather than taking any care or craftsmanship, hence wanting the yeast that says "for breadmakers" on the packet, although I got mysterious yeast from the fill-your-own-jar store that works ok. I'll maybe have a look anyway and see if I'm inspired to actually knead my own bread rather than letting our robotic overlords handle it.

Blue Jam

Ah, fair enough! I enjoy kneading bread and I am a massive nerd, ignore me.

Don't those packets of bread mix made for breadmakers contain yeast? I guess they also contain preservatives and other things you might not want in there though. When I was struggling to find yeast I considered buying some of those bread mixes and just using the oven to bake them, but I caved in and got the eBay yeast.

There's a fill-your-own-jar store near me which is now open again, I may check them out, cheers for the tip!

olliebean

Definitely not going back to Tesco yet, then.

Chedney Honks

Been the supermarket on the way home today, actually an increase in masks from around 2% last week to probably 15%. That's a good sign albeit nowhere near enough. Pretty sad to see some old duffer being pushed round in his wheelchair by his wife, both of them wearing masks round their chin.

idunnosomename

this is like the blitz if everyone completely gave up carrying gas masks about and taping up their windows after like 3 months

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 13, 2020, 06:07:37 PM
this is like the blitz if everyone completely gave up carrying gas masks about and taping up their windows after like 3 months

We are all going to get bombed eventually which is why I'm going to set off an incendiary device in my living room this evening and get it over with.

idunnosomename

Cloud

Things might eventually happen the Gove way if the virus lingers enough (which it will) and increasing numbers of people wear masks until it's seen as "normal".  People are just afraid of being seen as the weirdo 15%er going around with a mask on.  We're a very self-conscious lot!  But eventually is the word...

Before my time but I think it was similar with seatbelts.  People were afraid of looking like Play It Safe Paul.  Took many years to get people to used to wearing them, and eventually legislation to get everyone doing it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Mask wearing has been quite prevalent around here, when it's come to shops, busier areas, public transport especially. Which is good. Were it not for the Leicester thing and a couple of rather extreme localised examples it's dwindling out in the UK. Not forever obviously but enough that people can expand their lives again.

Head Gardener

olliebean

Tesco seems to have changed all its delivery fees to a flat £5.50. I was getting £3 slots until now; not sure I can justify £5.50 on a £40-odd order. May have to try Asda, which still has slots from £1.50. Fucking Asda, though.

Blue Jam

Just checked the emergency rations I bought back in February. Now having some weird soup from Lidl* after I noted the sell by date was Nov. 2020. Fucking hell lads, I thought this would all be over by now.

* Lidl Deluxe Tomato and Chorizo. Just tastes like tomato with a bit of chilli. Quite nice as it happens.