Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:20:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grocery shopping

Started by peanutbutter, March 17, 2020, 01:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Bit wasteful.

New page profligate

weekender

Generally hate the 'New Page' thing, but this was good.

Buelligan

Quote from: Buelligan on March 22, 2020, 08:59:53 AM
I'm hoping to go grocery shopping, my first out of cave experience in nearly a month, tomorrow.  Keep imagining what it'll be like, and reasons that it might not happen, hope they have plenty of cat beads (we call them croquettes here, that dried stuff whatever it's call in English, can't remember, even tried googling it but google just sends me the French).  Hope they have that stuff.

Looks like no groceries for me.  My lift is worried about going, so I got up at 05.15 for nothing.  No food either.  I shall pursue alternatives. 

timebug

Had to go to Tesco this morning for bread. No bread. But they did allow me in,as I am officially an 'O.A.P.' and they are only allowing us oldies in prior to ten o clock! Went elsewhere and scored a loaf, no problem. But it looks like our local 'corner shop' is going to reap the benefits of this supermarket madness for the duration.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 23, 2020, 10:09:59 AM
Corona shop more like, eh lads?!

We don't care bout no Gov't warnings

holyzombiejesus

Is anybody questioning the wisdom of these special OAP shopping hours? Surely shops should be telling old people to fuck off out of their shops and to stay at home, maybe offer free small deliveries and shit like that?

massive bereavement

Decided to go to the supermarket this morning. Having looked at the newspaper headlines of lockdown warnings, I was expecting it to be packed with another wave of panic buyers and felt an increasing sense of dread as I got nearer. It was OK though, busier than usual for that time of morning but not crazy. Couldn't get any ketchup, still no eggs, tins of tomato or Heinz spaghetti (but I did get hoops) other shelves were low in places but not as bad as late last week. Self checkouts either side of me were empty. Hopefully things are beginning to settle down on the food shopping front.
I'm seeing a few people wearing face masks now, one chap (or woman) was completely covered from head to toe in what looked like arctic expedition clothing complete with big dark glasses.

imitationleather

Our entire Tesco delivery arrived apart from one thing (spaghetti)!

Jasha

Quote from: massive bereavement on March 23, 2020, 11:56:43 AM
I'm seeing a few people wearing face masks now, one chap (or woman) was completely covered from head to toe in what looked like arctic expedition clothing complete with big dark glasses.

More and more maskers, a big scarf wrapped tightly upto the eyeballs seems to be the more casual show of paranoia

Dewt

https://www.chinandchoo.com/shop

I don't know if this helps anybody but via the Patreon they just announced they have lots of noodles and rice in stock. If getting some bulk-sized noodles and rice delivered would help you out then I'd get right on that. Like right now.

Sorry if this looks promotional, it's not, I'm not affiliated with them and they will definitely sell out 100% anyway. I just want to help you find rice while rice is available.

weekender

Quotehttps://www.chinandchoo.com/product-page/monosodium-glutamate-msg-150g

Quote99.99% of all Chinese and Thai Takeaways use this in there cooking.

Can't decide whether to panic-buy this or not for future economic and capitalist reasons, or to leave well alone.

Dewt

MSG is no worse than salt, and it makes food delicious. Anything that encourages you to eat a bowl of vegetables is a healthy choice, IMO.

They released an excellent book written by their son where all of the recipes are wrong because he's severely dyslexic. Highly recommend.

weekender

Quote from: Dewt on March 23, 2020, 06:20:42 PMThey released an excellent book written by their son where all of the recipes are wrong because he's severely dyslexic. Highly recommend.

That does actually sound quite interesting.

Puce Moment

Went to my local co-op and it was ok - the toiletries section was fucked but I got bread, tinned fish and Suma vegan beans and sausages, plus they had loads of fruit.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I find myself ambivalent about the CoOp. I assume that it would be less rammed than the big supermarketsand thus a more sensible place to shop. Plus it's just around the corner. On the other hand, it doesn't have self-serve checkouts, so I fell like the cashiers are at greater risk.

I ran out of bread yesterday and spent a good chunk of today wondering whether I should go out just for that. In the end, I got too hungry and ate a big handful of raisins.

idunnosomename

aldi are handling this better than the government. mine was pretty healthy this morning. also customers being really sensible and the queues all spread out 2 metres apart. put me in a good mood all day about this shit

Cloud

Getting more and more uncomfortable about the idea of going grocery shopping but so much for the idea of just getting stuff delivered, as Tesco has no slots.  We're alright for now, but... yeah, booze - frankly the only thing keeping me 'sane' at the moment.  The worry and misery are crushing.

Dewt

greencalx

Was planning to top up in the morning (because I'm responsibly not stockpiling) but now we're locking down I'm guessing the supermarket is going to be rammed in the morning.

massive bereavement

Probably best to leave home delivery slots to the very old and those unable to physically make it to the supermarkets.

No reason to start panic buying again if we know the supermarkets will stay open no matter what but obviously pressure will increase now that Greggs. McDonalds etc. are all closing.

Emma Raducanu

I'm getting too nervous to go to the supermarket for fear of being near anyone with the virus. But we go through 12 liters of milk a week in my house, so I've got to go every time we run out of milk. I'll have to go tomorrow. Might enquire about getting the milk man to deliver.

imitationleather

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 23, 2020, 09:28:21 PM
we go through 12 liters of milk a week in my house

The mind boggles.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: massive bereavement on March 23, 2020, 11:56:43 AMone chap (or woman) was completely covered from head to toe in what looked like arctic expedition clothing complete with big dark glasses.

He'd just stopped by to pick up milk and bread on his way home from Bangface.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteBut we go through 12 liters of milk a week in my house

Are you a walrus?

Alberon

The last time I was allowed out on Friday I had to go to the Post Office to get a parcel.

Ahead of me was a woman done up like a stereotypical trying-not-to-be-recognised celebrity. Dark glasses, black gloves and a headscarf over her hair and held over the lower face. She opened the door with her knee and then went and stood in a corner until it was her turn. Maybe she was a famous film star?

I've seen several with scarves over their mouths. People that is, not necessarily film stars. Ridiculous.

Emma Raducanu

It's what happens when you have young children. They drink about 250ml 3 times a day plus cereal plus my porridge plus I'm having around 5 coffees a day. Some times it even shocks me how much we get through.

Dewt

I reckon some of you drink more milk in a day than I do in a year

ollyboro

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 23, 2020, 10:08:48 PM
It's what happens when you have young children. They drink about 250ml 3 times a day plus cereal plus my porridge plus I'm having around 5 coffees a day. Some times it even shocks me how much we get through.

Have you considered getting a goat?  You'd save a fortune. If you do, make sure you get a Nanny goat. I've witnessed the physical and legal ramifications of attempting to milk a Billy goat.

imitationleather

Quote from: ollyboro on March 23, 2020, 10:48:58 PM
Have you considered getting a goat?  You'd save a fortune. If you do, make sure you get a Nanny goat. I've witnessed the physical and legal ramifications of attempting to milk a Billy goat.

Yeah goats barely drink any milk. Trade your stupid kids for one.