Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:32:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Carers: What the fuck do we do here?

Started by Rev+, March 17, 2020, 03:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

I've an hour round trip walk to the person I care for, who won't be able to cope for more than a couple of days if I don't head over.  She doesn't have a bedroom or access to a bathroom, and has to sleep in a communal area.

How do either of us self-isolate?  I'm not expecting answers, just suggestions of approaches.  I have to keep going over because there's no alternative.

If there's no alternative there's no alternative, but don't feel stressed just because the two of you literally can't self-isolate. The point of the current "social distancing" directives and business closures is just to slow down the spread of the virus by minimizing public gatherings of 10+ people. I fear too many people are panicking as if Covid-19 is anthrax and everyone will drop dead if exposed to it. The threat to any given individual remains extremely low.

Is the person you care for particularly vulnerable (elderly, other conditions)?

Rev+

It's more that I was worried about getting sick before all this kicked off, as there's no contingency plan.  I've not had a day off in about 18 months and have been dreading getting a proper bugger of a cold or something that means I just can't do the walk, or risk spreading it.  You're completely right in saying that if there's no alternative there's no alternative.

She's not elderly, but is type 1 diabetic, which isn't great in general but isn't great with this.  The stuff that I haul my carcass over to help with (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and a few other bits and bobs) make daily living sort of impossible without a bit of a hand.  I just worry about failing, really.

Kryton

Been asking this question for days. Genuinely dunno. Official response is 'we'll be closely monitoring the Governments statements' as though fucking Boris Johnson is anything to be trusted.