Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:13:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Soundtrack for self-isolation and/or the apocalypse [merged]

Started by monkfromhavana, March 17, 2020, 07:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

I haven't listened to any music for over a week. Can't do it.

However my three year old daughter listens to the Frozen 2 soundtrack over and over again. Those songs will for ever bring the good times flooding back. And they would be brilliant with her singing along if things were normal.
Ugh gonna cry again.

grassbath

Sufjan Stevens - The Seer's Tower

In the tower above the earth,
There is a view that reaches far
Where we see the universe,
I see the fire, I see the end

alan nagsworth

somewhere else

I made this Spotify playlist today with all my favourite transportive (mostly ambient) music, including a lot of early Oneohtrix Point Never stuff as well as some Brian Eno, Aphex Twin, Burial, Mogwai, etc.

The playlist is mainly for my own pleasure as this is the music which helps me the most with my anxiety (I always listen to OPN's "Rifts" compilation on flights) and so I feel like if this whole thing gets too much for me and I want to shut my eyes and be somewhere else for a little while, I can put this thing on shuffle. Maybe you might enjoy it as well.

buttgammon

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 22, 2020, 09:36:07 PM
somewhere else

I made this Spotify playlist today with all my favourite transportive (mostly ambient) music, including a lot of early Oneohtrix Point Never stuff as well as some Brian Eno, Aphex Twin, Burial, Mogwai, etc.

The playlist is mainly for my own pleasure as this is the music which helps me the most with my anxiety (I always listen to OPN's "Rifts" compilation on flights) and so I feel like if this whole thing gets too much for me and I want to shut my eyes and be somewhere else for a little while, I can put this thing on shuffle. Maybe you might enjoy it as well.

That sounds terrific!

I'd recommend Lyra Pramuk's new album for something that's often quite otherworldly sounding. It only came out a few days ago but I've been playing it lots over the weekend.

BlodwynPig

I saw that but didnt know if it would be to my tastes, but otherworldly hits the spot, cheers

Dewt

alan nagsworth

Quote from: buttgammon on March 22, 2020, 10:06:31 PM
That sounds terrific!

I'd recommend Lyra Pramuk's new album for something that's often quite otherworldly sounding. It only came out a few days ago but I've been playing it lots over the weekend.

Lovely, I'm gonna check that out. Cheers butts!

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

The Rolling Stones ~ Ventilator Blues

When your spine is cracking and your hands, they shake
Heart is bursting and your butt's gonna break
Woman's cussing, you can hear her scream
Feel like murder in the first degree

Ain't nobody slowing down no way
Everybody's stepping on their accelerator
Don't matter where you are
Everybody's gonna need a ventilator

JesusAndYourBush

Yesterday Toyah posted an ad for a gig on June 20th.  Firstly I admire her optimism, then I saw the support act was CHINA CRISIS.  I lol'd.

bakabaka

Good thing no-one's angry about the current state of affairs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VTr1_Qejn0

Though the obvious choice would be Breathe by The Cure/The Deadbeats/The Cinematic Orchestra/Pink Floyd/Depeche Mode/Dohl Foundation/Mary Fahl/The Prodigy/Ron Geesin & Roger Waters/Sir Henry/Vitamin String Quartet/Alexi Murdoch/Abney Park/Phish/Stardeath and The White Dwarves (and those are just the ones on this hard drive).

Whereas this is always the best track to play, regardless of pandemics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ2P4DKQ5ZI

Head Gardener

my lockdown plan for the next few weeks involves recording mixes of my 7" singles, all pretty random with well known tunes alongside the odd stuff
and then broadcast them on Friday nights. I have already started mixing and can tell you that the first one will feature Nick Nicely, Banana Splits and Chas & Dave, amongst other hits.

Head Gardener

Phil_A

Time to dig up the old Sounds Of The Apocalypse podcast, which has an appropriate mix for every kind of global catastrophe.

I had to really hunt around to find this again as even though the site is still up, it no longer appears in google search results for some reason.

https://soundsoftheapocalypse.blogspot.com/

Here's episode 8, "The Infected" - http://www.archive.org/download/JustinSmithSoundsOfTheApocalypse82007317TheInfected_0/SOTA008.mp3

Gregory Torso

The Moles - Breathe Me In

Zip Code Revue - Doctors Are Spreading Disease

Coughs - Fright Makes Right

US Maple - Stupid Deep Indoors

Butthole Surfers - Strangers Die Every Day

Unfortunately couldn't find a link for China Pig's "Everyone Wears A Mask"

Sin Agog

Had about eight or nine different apocalyptic songs earworming their way through my head since the start of this.  Thinking Fellers' Noble Experiment is the latest one.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FvFrSG37idM

If the sadness of life makes you tired
And the failures of man make you sigh
You can look to the time soon arriving
When this noble experiment winds down and calls it a day

Time has come now to stop being human
Time to find a new creature to be
Be a fish or a weed or a sparrow
For the earth has grown tired and all of your time has expired

All the gardens are sprouting with flowers
All the treetops are bursting with birds
And the people all know that it's over
They lay down all their airs and they hang up their tiresome words

NoSleep

I've known people who were unable to make it through to the end of this track. Turn the lights off or draw the curtains (i.e. try to do this in the dark). Lie flat on your back, on a bed or the floor and listen to the track on headphones for maximum effect (it's a holophonic recording; 3D sound):

Psychic TV - Proof On Survival - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PFlc3VeQds

(R.I.P. Genesis P. Orridge)

Definitely worth experiencing the entire album with headphones as the entire thing is holophonic.