Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:31:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sensible preperations within the home and avoiding panic buying [merged]

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 17, 2020, 08:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Apologies if one of the other threads is already focused on this, but I thought it would be good to talk about how to ensure you have enough food/cleaning stuff in without panic buying.

Whilst I have enough tinned food to last for 2 weeks (I brought it a couple of tins at a time to avoid panic buying and to make sure other people have enough) if I didn't eat that much each day and a few bottles of hand soap, I only have one small bottle of hand santisier. I don't know where I can get hand sanitiser from and am hoping that the supply chains will produce more. I haven't seen any hand santisier on sale for weeks.

I have some Dettol style spray and antibactieral wipes.

Running out of books but there isn't much I can do about that.

Zetetic

Do you need hand sanitizer in the home?

14x 500mg paracetamol per person would be a good start.

Buelligan

Some soft stuff to wipe the nose with.  When the gunk comes out, it really comes out, my nose got so sore it was bleeding a little.  Also, to that end, some nice soothing cream for nose and upper lip (I always have a tube of Weleda Calendula cream by me because it's grand stuff for these sorts of things) and maybe some lip balm.

I agree about the books, nice soft books too, nothing too grim or difficult.  I lay in bed at my worst and thought about colours.  Colours can be very cheering.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Zetetic on March 17, 2020, 08:13:58 AM
Do you need hand sanitizer in the home?

I need hand sanitzer whenever I get on or off a bus.

Buelligan

If you can't get hand sanitiser, if you leave the house with clean hands, touch as little as possible and then wash them thoroughly when you arrive at your destination, you will be doing your best to protect others and yourself. 

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Buelligan on March 17, 2020, 08:36:06 AM
(I always have a tube of Weleda Calendula cream by me because it's grand stuff for these sorts of things)

I bet you do you dirty old etc.

Dewt

70% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle is hand sanitiser and a useful mist for spraying on door handles, phones, keyboards etc.

You probably can't get hold of it but a few of you should have it around. I did. I put it in the bottle that used to contain my glasses cleaning solution. Here's a visual guide if you need one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsX7tEM6gFA

Sprout mung beans if you can get 'em on Amazon. Sprout lentils that you have. This turns a small amount of food into a constant supply of nutritious bulk.

Buelligan

purlieu

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 17, 2020, 08:10:45 AM
Running out of books but there isn't much I can do about that.
There are eReader apps for Android and iOS. Loses some of the joy of holding a physical book, but should satisfy the desire to read.

Dewt

Quote from: Buelligan on March 17, 2020, 07:22:27 PM
Always be careful when sprouting pulses to eat, mind.  Good hygiene is essential. 

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/sprouted-seeds-safety-advice/
You can usually blanche them in boiling water and then plunge them into cool water and they will remain crispy and nice.

Blue Jam

I managed to get some hand sanitiser from my local independent b@rgain store. They were taking the piss a bit with the prices but I can't say I blame them.

Corner shops tend to have more bog roll in stock- all those weird brands like "Nikky" and "Festival" and that inexplicably scented stuff but the option is there.

Gregory Torso

sweet baked beans, will i never gnash your starched innards again

Gregory Torso

Wife in China is sending me a care package of hand sanitiser, soap and pasta. oh how the tables have turned!!!

gib

Quote from: Buelligan on March 17, 2020, 07:22:27 PM
Always be careful when sprouting pulses to eat, mind.  Good hygiene is essential. 

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/sprouted-seeds-safety-advice/

As if anyone cares about bacteria these days.

In answer to the OP, just put all your money into bog roll. It stores indefinitely and can be exchanged for all sorts of goods and services in the new age.

Dewt

Quote from: gib on March 17, 2020, 11:57:42 PM
As if anyone cares about bacteria these days.
I actually really do at the moment. Last thing I need is to do is get pancreatitis and have to go to a fucking hospital. Watch what you eat, folks.

gib

pigamus

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 17, 2020, 09:48:46 PM
I managed to get some hand sanitiser from my local independent b@rgain store. They were taking the piss a bit with the prices but I can't say I blame them.

Really? I think I can say I blame them.

For meat, bread, veg or bakery goods use local produce instead of supermarkets where possible. This will obviously be dependent on where you live, but they may be closer to you then supermarkets anyway.

Dewt

Quote from: gib on March 18, 2020, 12:09:17 AM
sorry, thought it was obvious i was pissing around
It was, I was just carrying on the conversation anyway

gib

kittens

i haven't stocked up on anything and have bare cupboards. am i going to die?

Sin Agog

Quote from: kittens on March 18, 2020, 09:05:17 AM
i haven't stocked up on anything and have bare cupboards. am i going to die?

Have you tried nibbling the cupboards to see if they're made of chocolate, like in that Japanese game show? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gWB-kuyxe3M

GMTV

We bought one extra pasta and one extra rice, and a few tins of soup. Working on the basis of both of us being self isolated for 14 days and eating what we have in. So it'll be sardine pasta for a few days at the end of the fortnight.

Also not panic buying any loo roll as a matter of principle so I'll be washing my arse after a jobby.... We all have our own personal war.

Leaned this lesson the hard way a couple of years back when me and the missus were struck down with flu, but make sure you've got enough tins of soup, beans, etc to keep you going for at least a week. Pasta and rice won't mean shit if you actually get the virus and end up with heavy flu symptoms. You'll want something you can bung in the microwave for a couple of minutes and easily digest. If you're getting soups, try and get ones with lots of veg in so you can get the fibre and vitamins you need.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Zetetic on March 17, 2020, 08:13:58 AM

Sounds like your advocating people just end it all.

Not very trendy but vitamin tablets are an obvious one. Simple and cheap way to avoid lots of the problems a limited diet can cause.

olliebean

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 17, 2020, 10:45:52 PM
sweet baked beans, will i never gnash your starched innards again

Baked beans are one thing I'm not short of. As luck would have it, before anyone started stockpiling Tesco were selling off their plastic-wrapped multipacks cheap because they're cutting down on single-use plastic. At the time, hardly anyone seemed to be interested in buying a load of cut-price baked beans, so I've got stacks of them. Trouble is, I can't get a loaf of bread to make toast to put them on.

Sin Agog

Quote from: olliebean on March 18, 2020, 11:59:50 AM
Baked beans are one thing I'm not short of. As luck would have it, before anyone started stockpiling Tesco were selling off their plastic-wrapped multipacks cheap because they're cutting down on single-use plastic. At the time, hardly anyone seemed to be interested in buying a load of cut-price baked beans, so I've got stacks of them. Trouble is, I can't get a loaf of bread to make toast to put them on.

You should have had as much foresight as me and bought a load of breadmakers.  They do seem a little upset about having to share the same toilet, though.

Blue Jam

Quote from: olliebean on March 18, 2020, 11:59:50 AM

I managed to stock up on white bread flour but I don't have much baker's yeast left. Bought some baking soda today so I can make soda bread if necessary. Soda bread might be a bit cakey in texture but you can toast it and it will soak up the bean juice a treat.

It's a piece of piss to make too. If you can't find buttermilk, fresh milk or UHT milk use oat milk or almond milk or some other vegan alternative, no-one seems to be panic-buying those.

Dewt