Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:04:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sensible preperations within the home and avoiding panic buying [merged]

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 17, 2020, 08:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 18, 2020, 04:11:25 PM
I managed to stock up on white bread flour but I don't have much baker's yeast left. Bought some baking soda today so I can make soda bread if necessary. Soda bread might be a bit cakey in texture but you can toast it and it will soak up the bean juice a treat.

It's a piece of piss to make too. If you can't find buttermilk, fresh milk or UHT milk use oat milk or almond milk or some other vegan alternative, no-one seems to be panic-buying those.

You could also make sourdough, that'll work very well for you.

Barry Admin

Quote from: gib on March 17, 2020, 11:57:42 PM
In answer to the OP, just put all your money into bog roll. It stores indefinitely and can be exchanged for all sorts of goods and services in the new age.

I wonder if anyone is modding the Fallout games to replace all the bottle caps you have to collect as a form of post-apocalyptic currency.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Buelligan on March 18, 2020, 04:32:56 PM
You could also make sourdough, that'll work very well for you.

Ah yes, of course, I could get a starter going, cheers!

Barry Admin

You know Asda is limiting purchases to three items per person? My Mum reckons that goes for cat food too? Any ideas? I'm about to head down here and not relishing the prospect.

Edit: my mate replied: "tomorrow morning is better. Cat food isn't rationed but we ran out of most things by 6pm yesterday."

Dewt

Somebody in another thread (I think) said that hand sanitiser is 5 quid for one bottle but 125 quid for two. That's a great idea. Pricing that increases exponentially in multiples.

Impractical to implement (tracking splitting across repeat visits, implementing the logic at the cashier side) but it's an interesting thought. I know my software engineer friends are figuring out the bounded contexts already.

Buelligan

I buy two or three 5kg sacks of dry cat food every week (under normal circs), to feed the strays.  Luckily, I keep a stock here to ensure there will never be a dearth for those furry little guys.  Anyone tries to stop me buying two or three sacks will be threatened with an intervention from my 300kg pussy.

Dewt

I genuinely can't figure out what you mean by that, which makes it an excellent threat.

Buelligan

I just meant that a normal person would conclude that someone was feeding a large number of cats (or that they were panic buying) but another explanation would be one enormous cat (or even a lion).  And who could deny anyone the necessaries to feed their cat?

Dewt

A lion was where my logic took me too but I didn't think you had a cave lion

In my headcanon you've glued all of your cats together, you monster.

I am also concerned about buying cat food and litter.

Inspector Norse

They're rationing paracetamol at pharmacies here. I found two boxes of Lemsip in the bathroom cupboard. Back of the net!

Dewt

Does paracetamol have a non-palliative use for this? I guess it reduces fever... but again, does that just help the patient feel better?

Doesn't it seem like all of this panic buying should only last a week or two, after which point everyone who wants to hoard will have already hoarded? As far as I know the supply chains for stocking items have not been interrupted and are unlikely to be interrupted, even if we are all stuck inside for a while.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Dewt on March 18, 2020, 08:01:25 PM
Does paracetamol have a non-palliative use for this? I guess it reduces fever... but again, does that just help the patient feel better?

I guess so. It's just something to relieve the unpleasantness, and ibuprofen has been flagged as a bad idea.

I just want it for a sore throat to be honest, my symptoms are those of a regular winter cold rather than corona. But am I then being selfish in not giving my Lemsip to someone who needs it more?

Zetetic

Quote from: Dewt on March 18, 2020, 08:01:25 PM
I guess it reduces fever... but again, does that just help the patient feel better?
Which in turn allows the patient to get out of bed, feed and wash themselves, and monitor their other symptoms.

There's an argument that we over-medicate fever, but unless you've got someone looking after you (e.g. you're a child) then there are good reasons (other than not wanting to feel terrible[nb]I quite like a light fever, mind you, under the right circumstances.[/nb]) for trying to keep it somewhat under to control.

Dewt

Sure, I get the knock-on effects of relief, I just wanted to be absolutely sure there's no directly curative application.

Zetetic

Dewt

shiftwork2

I haven't heard anyone mention milk.  I've been buying an extra bottle for a few days and freezing it.  I think it'll keep for three months at least.  With a few boxes of cereal I am alright with the apocalypse.

I now have an impressive selection of tinned fruit.  Tinned fucking strawberries, sounds awful but then I have never tried them before.  I will save this up as a Covid 19 treat when the day comes.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

The best bit about COVID-19 is the anorexia, meaning you won't really want to eat anything for 4-5 days anyway! WIN WIN situation.

Poobum

Got a jar of marmite, for the vitamins. Have I gone too far?

Harry Badger

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on March 18, 2020, 08:48:41 PM
The best bit about COVID-19 is the anorexia, meaning you won't really want to eat anything for 4-5 days anyway! WIN WIN situation.

I have been dieting for about two months now and have lost a stone and a half. That's either likely to sharply rise through lack of physical activity (though I could redeploy my exercise bike from its current clotheshorse role) and drop even further. Still carrying a stone too much so I've got some reserves to fall back on.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 18, 2020, 08:28:01 PM

I now have an impressive selection of tinned fruit.  Tinned fucking strawberries, sounds awful but then I have never tried them before.  I will save this up as a Covid 19 treat when the day comes.

Mother always kept the frozen in syrup tinned ones that came in a spam-like can.
Just open up still frozen and scrape away at it with a spoon for a nice granita when she isn't home.
Don't touch the baking chocolate while she's out, she wasn't lying about that not being good.

Dewt

Quote from: Harry Badger on March 18, 2020, 10:30:35 PM
I have been dieting for about two months now and have lost a stone and a half. That's either likely to sharply rise through lack of physical activity (though I could redeploy my exercise bike from its current clotheshorse role) and drop even further. Still carrying a stone too much so I've got some reserves to fall back on.
I've lost five pounds[nb]Yes I know this is the same as currency please do not make the joke[/nb] since this virus became a big deal

Brian Freeze

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 18, 2020, 08:28:01 PM

My gran use to make a decent strawberry crumble with the tinned ones. She'd have the crumble mix bagged up in the freezer and a couple of tins of strawbs in the cupboard for emergency pudding situations.

And if this isnt an emergency, it might not be far off. In a couple of weeks. Or months.

Sheffield Wednesday

- Hand cream. I didn't realise how thin and dry the skin wa on the back of my hands until I started washing them eight times a day. Hand cream has really saved me from developing fucked up cornflake hands. They are normally very soft because I never worked hard in my life.

- Ryvita. Takes up fuck all space and a very good substitute for toast. I have peanut butter on toast for breakfast and I've now run out of fresh bread. Got a couple of loaf in the freezer but I'm conscious that they're future food. Ryvita is actually nicer than toast with peanut butter slathered on it.

- Peanut Butter. Unless you have a peanut allergy. Full of protein, will keep you full, you can whisk some into UHT milk to make it taste palatable. You can use it as a dip for carrots, celery, peppers because it goes very well with savoury, too.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Even without the panic buying Tesco (ireland) hasn't had their own brand peanut butter in for fucking weeks. I mean that nice one that's nothing but peanuts yet still pretty cheap.   Someone over there sort it out

Zetetic

Buelligan

I really hate tinned strawberries probably more than tinned tomatoes (and that's saying something).  Neither bear the slightest resemblance to their delicious living selves.  Zombie food.

Brian Freeze

Can't argue with that opinion.

Things we bought that were in plentiful supply. A couple of one litre cartons of that V8 tomato and veg drink. Might be good for a dose of the old vitamins. I also have vodka for after all this is done with.
The Alpro soya puddings taste half decent, dont need to be kept in the fridge, the kids eat them and theyve got a long date on them.