Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:23:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The worst responses to the coronavirus

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 17, 2020, 11:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I think that Virgin Atlantic requiring staff will to take eight weeks unpaid leave during the next three months, given that Branson could afford to pay all staff for the next three months and not even notice it, is one of the worst responses.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1239531409951375363

Buelligan

I had something similar where my boss phoned me whilst I was properly ill and kept going on about how I could work off time spent out of work now by working extra unpaid shifts in the height of the season.  I was too fucked to argue at the time.  I just told him that, in case he hadn't already realised, I am not immortal and then coughed a lot.  Now, I'm thinking there probably won't be a height of the season or even a job, so it's pointless worrying.

Wonderful Butternut

There's a guy where I work who has Type 1 Diabetes and Asthma. It's basically public knowledge within the organisation.

He asked could he be allowed work from home last week, with the support of his Department head, and got a reply from HR that amounted to: Well I don't disbelieve you necessarily, but can you produce current doctor's certs because a lot of other people are making shit up. Sort of stubborn, dogmatic bureaucracy that's par for the course where I work.

And then his doctor apparently wouldn't give him a cert since he hasn't needed direct medical intervention in the past few years. Which to me makes no sense. You don't stop having Diabetes.

Now it's ultimately proved irrelevant long-term because we were basically told yesterday we can take whatever 'remote working' arrangements our Dept heads will allow.

Shaky

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on March 17, 2020, 11:46:52 AM
And then his doctor apparently wouldn't give him a cert since he hasn't needed direct medical intervention in the past few years. Which to me makes no sense. You don't stop having Diabetes.

That's mental - surely even a quick letter saying, "This bloke has had diabetes since XXXX," would've been fine, especially from his regular GP?

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteWorkers at Amazon's UK warehouses are being told to work overtime to tackle huge demand due to the coronavirus pandemic, despite government calls to restrict social contact.

The GMB union says that workers across at least four different sites were informed that they had to work "compulsory overtime" from Monday.

National officer Mick Rix said Amazon had put "profit before safety".

Amazon said it was working to ensure it can continue to deliver to customers...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51921916

bgmnts

Just another thing to back up the idea that British people are some of the worst people on the planet.

Oh yeah and Branson is one of the biggest piece of shits going. Can you believe he has written books about ethical business?

dissolute ocelot

Just got an email from Majestic Wine offering 25% off all champagne. Unsure if this should go in the worst or best thread.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe Prime Minister's father has indicated he would ignore his son's advice to tackle the spread of coronavirus and still go to the pub.

Boris Johnson yesterday urged everyone to "avoid pubs, clubs, theatres and other such social venues", saying it was particularly important for people over 70.

But Stanley Johnson, 79, said: "Of course I'll go to a pub if I need to go to a pub." Speaking on ITV's This Morning, he said landlords "don't want people to be not in the pub at all".

Wonderful Butternut

idunnosomename

That spot on his arm looks dodgy dead soon

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 17, 2020, 11:57:29 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51921916

Anyone using Amazon at this time needs to ask themselves if it's really necessary. They don't pop onto the conveyor by magic, your Three Wolf tee can wait. Need essentials? Queue up like the rest of us.

Buelligan

In fairness there are people who live remotely, without transport and alone, who may be ill and self-isolating[nb]I'm in that category although I'm not using Amazon.[/nb].  For some of them I'm sure Amazon is a lifeline. 

Artie Fufkin

My boss has just gone into 12 week isolation with his wife, wishing us all 'good luck' as he skipped out the office, laughing maniacally

Inspector Norse

QuoteColdplay frontman Chris Martin took to Instagram Live yesterday to perform his band's songs as well as a cover of David Bowie's Life on Mars. "Maybe 9/11 was the last time I felt like we were all together," he said.

Buelligan

He smells of Goop candles I understand.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A friend of mine posted a petition on Facebook earlier - calling on the government to enforce a mandatory closure of businesses, to ensure the workers get paid while we're all off. Some pillock piped up to ask why they were "helping Boris". Apparently, this firebrand revolutionary would prefer the crisis to be as bad as possible, just so that none of the survivors think anything even mildly positive about BoJo in the future.

Barry Admin

Loved this dippy airhead actress, like, totally like getting it, yeah?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-51941986

Just a great clip.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Inspector Norse on March 17, 2020, 05:12:34 PM
Coldplay frontman Chris Martin took to Instagram Live yesterday to perform his band's songs as well as a cover of David Bowie's Life on Mars. "Maybe 9/11 was the last time I felt like we were all together," he said.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Zetetic

Puce Moment

Quote"Maybe 9/11 was the last time I felt like we were all together," he said.

fucking hell

steveh

This is hard to beat:

QuoteThe firm that basically created the mess that is WeWork by dumping billions of dollars into the company, also owns a patent troll that bought up the patents from the sham medical testing firm Theranos, and is now using those patents to sue one of the few diagnostics companies that is actually making a Covid-19 test... in the middle of a pandemic. And, demanding the use of those tests be blocked.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200316/14584244111/softbank-owned-patent-troll-using-monkey-selfie-law-firm-sues-to-block-covid-19-testing-using-theranos-patents.shtml

keir

Bono's written a song, surely that is an unbeatable worst response?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: keir on March 18, 2020, 06:38:34 PM
Bono's written a song, surely that is an unbeatable worst response?

Hear the words I sing
War Corona's a horrible thing
So I sing sing sing
Ding a ling a ling

All is quiet on New Year's Day
Grandmother's dead, cat's run away

QDRPHNC

Dewt

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 18, 2020, 06:48:53 PM
Hear the words I sing
War Corona's a horrible thing