Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:00:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The worst responses to the coronavirus

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 17, 2020, 11:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: king_tubby on June 03, 2020, 09:46:15 PM
Check out this dunce.

https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1268208511659491330
no.

and by which I mean, she knows she's playing up kneejerk instincts for an audience. it's mostly disingenuous rather than ignorant or stupid. it's all to sell papers.

There seems to be a lot of opportunism round my way.

First there was the "motivational" stuff in coloured chalk on the pavements and now this.

buzby

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on June 05, 2020, 12:35:24 PM
There seems to be a lot of opportunism round my way.

First there was the "motivational" stuff in coloured chalk on the pavements and now this.

At least they haven't set fire to it, thinking it's a 5G cell cabinet.

Give them a chance - it only appeared today and it's been raining and everything's wet.

phantom_power

Quote from: jobotic on June 03, 2020, 10:12:55 PM
The fucking replies under that complacent nonsense. Death cult.

There is a great one about how officials flaunted the rules, which they think means they know something we don't know, as opposed to them just thinking they are too important to catch the virus and not being clever enough to see that this means nothing

kalowski

The worst responses are any where a family do a stony faced dance, especially if the dad is in an older age bracket and therefore looks oh so out of place doing a choreographed dance.
Wacky!
No, I mean wankers.

Fambo Number Mive

Walked past a bus stop today which had a electronic advertisment board displaying an ad by the company that owns the board saying something like "This poster isn't trying to sell you anything. We're just glad you're back"

Imagine seeing that from the bus on your way to an 8 hour shift.

Keebleman

It's all ok because there actually isn't any coronavirus!  A footballer has said so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52959292

In fairness to him he does worry that his announcement might be seen as 'cheesy', though the word I would use is 'wrong'.

Sheffield Wednesday

It's obviously very complicated. Institutional racism is more deadly and damaging than corono, basically. Government already condemned thousands to death like it's nothing in the care sector and forced people to take unnecessary risks to turn the hamster wheel so this can't be less important. At the same time, it will lead to more deaths sooner. Yep.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteUkrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky says he has been fined for violating the country's lockdown rules.

Zelensky said this happened after he visited a cafe in the central city of Khmelnytsky on 3 June.

His office later released a photo of Zelensky sipping coffee in the cafe - although a ban on catering services indoors was still in effect at the time. The president was also without a face mask.

"They did the right thing," the president said, referring to the fine - but without revealing how much he had to pay.

Zelensky also said he had even considered at one point getting deliberately infected with Covid-19 to show Ukrainians that the danger was real.

Johnson levels of leadership

He admitted fault and accepted the penalty. That's about as far from Johnson as it is possible to be.

kalowski

Fucking i Newspaper
QuoteBut Labour must shoulder at least some of the blame for the failure to see more pupils returning to school.
"At least some..." Possibly all?

jobotic

Starmer should shoulder some of the blame for the fact that the children that have gone back have done so.

Blue Jam

This is by Alastair Campbell but it's good:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-boris-johnson-has-made-me-ashamed-of-my-country/

QuoteMr. Johnson rose to the top of his party by persuading them he was a winner, able to appeal to people other Tories could not. And true, he has won a lot. He became mayor of London, all my life a Labour city; he won the Brexit referendum, against the odds; he won the Tory leadership, winning support even from MPs who said they knew he would be a disaster; and he won a general election. However, the qualities that got him there – a casual regard for truth, the ability to laugh off scandal, the mastery of turning complex issues into snappy slogans – are the exact opposite of what is needed now.

chveik

I presume Campbell has already secured his place in the Starmer administration.

Head Gardener

visiting Nether Heyford village this afternoon I saw the roadside attraction, no doubt the tippers would do this even in normal times

Norton Canes

Fambo Number Mive

dissolute ocelot

A mad Russian priest who claims COVID-19 is a lie has seized control of a convent with a gang of Cossacks and says he won't come out without a fight. He had just been indicted in a church court for violating public health rules and cursing priests who obeyed them. A former cop, he earlier changed his last name to Romanov because he really really likes the late Russian royal family, and led an arson campaign against a film critical of them. Let's hope Putin has some of that poison gas left.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/18/russian-priest-who-called-coronavirus-a-pseudo-pandemic-seizes-convent

EDIT: Still not as big a cunt as Alan Sugar.

Fambo Number Mive

I have a lot of sympathy for the minority of people who struggle with wearing masks due to health reasons, I have no sympathy with Guardian columnists who want to make masks all about them.

Zoe Williams:

Quote...
I feel the same scepticism about face masks: sure, the World Health Organization has come out in favour, medics have stopped fighting on Twitter and respectable opinion is coalescing on the matter, but I still feel as if I am being played – that this is more about the message than the virus. "I'm trying not to infect you." "I'm also engaging in other healthy practices, such as hand-washing." "I probably won't wander unthinkingly into your body buffer zone."

I want to be the kind of citizen who sends that kind of vibe to my compatriots, particularly the ones who don't have a choice about being near me – people at checkouts, other passengers on buses. Plus, it is mandatory on buses in England (and, from tomorrow, Scotland) and I definitely don't want to be the kind of citizen fighting a fine with a pedantic point about how large a virus particle is, or some lie about having a breathing problem.

However, no RFr do I want to be the kind of citizen who lives credulously by an orthodoxy they are more or less certain has an ulterior purpose. So, there is one path left, which is to go about in a face mask while signalling my ironic detachment, using only my eyes and the upper portion of my nose. On the upside, it has always been in the eyes, has it not? Noses have never been any good at signalling ironic detachment...

Subheadline is "I can't help being sceptical about government rules, but I will cover up when I'm told to. Over to you, eyes"

People only wearing masks when they are told to is why so many people working in retail are currently at risk. Zoe might not have chosen the subheadline though. Is it called subheadline? I used to know this.

Head Gardener

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 21, 2020, 06:46:00 PM
I have a lot of sympathy for the minority of people who struggle with wearing masks due to health reasons, I have no sympathy with Guardian columnists who want to make masks all about them.

Zoe Williams:

Subheadline is "I can't help being sceptical about government rules, but I will cover up when I'm told to. Over to you, eyes"

People only wearing masks when they are told to is why so many people working in retail are currently at risk. Zoe might not have chosen the subheadline though. Is it called subheadline? I used to know this.

I think she's being a bit stupid, but there are a lot of people who're overly obsessed with masks and think wearing a shitty square of t-shirt they cut out themselves means that they're a good person and they don't need to do much else. Staying at home is still much more effective at preventing infection, and even if you don't do that you should avoid crowded/badly ventilated indoor spaces, and properly social distance (nobody seems to bother with 2m, even mask nazis), not think "my mask means I'm not spreading infection" as you put your sticky fingers over everything. All the research shows there are grades of mask, and the evidence for professional 12-layer masks is much stronger than for a random bandana, no matter how cool the design is. And you need to wash them and use them properly, which I'm not convinced many people do: otherwise their efficacy is much lower (not helped by poor/contradictory advice from government and media). But all this is lost when just owning a mask is a sign of superior personal morality.

There's also a whole thing where people think "I'm able to afford 10 different masks in floral designs that cost £20 a time and I'm going to berate people who actually don't have money or can't easily clean a family's worth of masks every day." Which is an argument for the government issuing plentiful good-quality masks, not an argument for non-mask-wearing, but mask fundamentalists seem so driven by personal morality and the desire to be superior to others that they don't think that maybe other people don't have sewing machines or otherwise need help with protective equipment.

Gurke and Hare

Terminal fucking gobshite Simon Jordan:

QuoteOh look our delightful #msm are of and running with their latest brand of uplifting sentiment ...

After scaring everyone rigid, they'll now double down on economic figures and job losses .

Rather than focus on a positive challenge it will be revel in the doom

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0701/1150676-us-remdesivir/
QuoteThe US government has bought virtually the entire production of the Covid-19 drug Remdesivir for the next three months.

The US Department of Health & Human Services has reached an agreement with the drug's manufacturer, Gilead Sciences, to purchase all its projected production for this month and 90% of production in August and September.

This will make the drug unavailable to Europe and most of the rest of the world.
Bastards.

phantom_power

Henning Wehn is being a bit of a sort of a prick over this whole thing on Twitter. Typical tweet - https://twitter.com/henningwehn/status/1278771794409918466

Sebastian Cobb

Head Gardener

phantom_power

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 03, 2020, 03:42:58 PM
^ deleted by the looks of it.

He was making out like the lockdown was some self-imposed thing. His whole thing has been to say that Covid is massively exaggerated and people should carry on as usual

Psmith

He's too old to be a" I'm young it won't effect me much so I don't give a fuck about anyone else."He'll probably get away with it though.