Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:47:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The worst responses to the coronavirus

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 17, 2020, 11:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

It does annoy me how much I've paid out so I can actually see where I am going. Without glasses the world is a blur, yet I've got to pay through the nose for a pair of glasses and an optician's appointment. It feels like I'm being penalised for having bad eyesight.

My glasses are missing part of their arm but I don't feel comfortable going into an optician until things change COVID wise.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 08, 2020, 12:47:44 PM
One I saw on twitter that still astounds me is that even for kids eye-care isn't free, so if you're a poor kid who is short sighted, then tough shit. There's even stories of teachers funding glasses out of their own pockets.

Such an unnecessary way to ensure kids education and futures are ruined for no good reason.

I have a vague memory of a Victorian parable or something where it turns out the kid wasn't stupid after all but was too short-sighted to see the blackboard and too ashamed to mention it. Although it was probably actually just life under Thatcher's tories.

kittens

Quote from: olliebean on November 10, 2020, 04:45:08 PM
Are hearing aids available on the NHS? They seem to be the third thing, along with Dentists and Opticians, that have standalone high-street shops rather than just going to the doctor like every other health issue.

you can get em on the nhs if you have enough of a loss but they're mostly quite shit. if you go private you're spending at least 500 quid for the very cheapest pair of crap ones. can spend up to £4000 if you're rich or crazy

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: kittens on November 11, 2020, 07:57:39 AM
you can get em on the nhs if you have enough of a loss but they're mostly quite shit. if you go private you're spending at least 500 quid for the very cheapest pair of crap ones. can spend up to £4000 if you're rich or crazy

Fuck that shit, just write it down, write it all down no mate you aren't listening, listen to me. Listen to me! Write it all down put it all down, all down in writing, cheers.

steveh

My dad recently got told by his GP that he needed wax removed from an ear but the surgery isn't allowed to do that now so instead he was referred to the local Specsavers hearing aid dept, who turned out to be useless and made things worse so it then got escalated back at the GP and done by the nurse who always used to handle this. NHS privatisation is great...

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: steveh on November 11, 2020, 09:33:06 AM
My dad recently got told by his GP that he needed wax removed from an ear but the surgery isn't allowed to do that now so instead he was referred to the local Specsavers hearing aid dept, who turned out to be useless and made things worse so it then got escalated back at the GP and done by the nurse who always used to handle this. NHS privatisation is great...

I agree about how shit NHS privatisation is in general, but this is a bit different - ear wax removal is usually done at GPs by syringing which isn't allowed at the moment due to the possibility of water spray, and water droplets/aerosols being big sources of infection. Whereas, the ones done at Specsavers/Boots/etc, are usually done by microsuction so no water spray. I'm surprised that the GP surgery then did it anyway afterwards, where I work urgent ear wax removal should be referred to hospital for suction done there, but I'm not sure what the criteria would be. It's possible different CCGs have different working practices for this sort of thing I suppose. For anyone else reading this who is in a similar situation, the nurses here advice is that you use olive oil in the ear 2/3 times a day, but can take up to 6 weeks to be effective, and home irrigation kits can be bought online, but not sure how good they are.

Source: head nurse at the GP practice I work at. And to be fair, a few Gps and nurses have asked about us doing it again, so it's not as if we don't want to do them (which we get accused of a lot recently).

Sebastian Cobb

I thought a lot of gp's had replaced their syringes with suction things now anyway?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 11, 2020, 02:16:28 PM
I thought a lot of gp's had replaced their syringes with suction things now anyway?

That's prostitutes you're thinking of.

steveh

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on November 11, 2020, 01:42:57 PM
I agree about how shit NHS privatisation is in general, but this is a bit different - ear wax removal is usually done at GPs by syringing which isn't allowed at the moment due to the possibility of water spray, and water droplets/aerosols being big sources of infection.

Ah, he'd been left with the impression by the doctor that it was because of a general move of services rather than being pandemic related.

For what it's worth, I went in to my GP with wax plugs last summer and they said that the surgery doesn't offer ear cleaning any more and that I should either persevere with olive oil drops or get them done at Specsavers or another private hearing clinic.

ASFTSN

The earwax thing makes your life a living misery for weeks and even then doesn't seem to work that well. At least from personal experience.

PaulTMA

A very public drum cover of Ian Browny's already appalling covid conspiracy song.  Good god.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXFfqozao0&ab_channel=CambelMcLaughlin

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 11, 2020, 04:02:48 PM
For what it's worth, I went in to my GP with wax plugs last summer and they said that the surgery doesn't offer ear cleaning any more and that I should either persevere with olive oil drops or get them done at Specsavers or another private hearing clinic.

i got mine syringed about 18 months ago. could be different in scotland though.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 11, 2020, 06:53:41 PM
A very public drum cover of Ian Browny's already appalling covid conspiracy song.  Good god.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXFfqozao0&ab_channel=CambelMcLaughlin

Christ. That's a long 5 minutes, even if you skip through it.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 11, 2020, 08:44:50 PM
fucking hell

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/11/staff-who-work-from-home-after-pandemic-should-pay-more-tax?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1605121991

Quote"Working from home will be part of the 'new normal' well after the pandemic has passed," said Jim Reid, global head of fundamental credit strategy and thematic research at Deutsche Bank. "Our calculations suggest the amounts raised could fund material income subsidies for low-income earners who are unable to work remotely and thus assume more 'old economy' and health risks," Reid said.

He should stick to writing songs with loads of guitar feedback in them, the twat.

Sebastian Cobb

haha I thought 'jamc cunt' when I was reading it as well.

The language in the last couple of paragraphs in this is horrific. The kind of cunt who'd keep suicide illegal for the sole reason you might be depriving the economy of its deserved value.

BlodwynPig

In your SOARAWAY The Guardian Tomorrow: "State sanction genocide should be the norm says Head of Corporate Credit Assets at Truffles For Breakfast".

While The Guardian has no opinion either way on the matter, we hope more articles like this immunise our liberal readers to extremist opinions masquerading as Neo-liberal think-pieces vomited on to your beige slacks for the greater good of your four bedroom 1930s house in leafy suburbia.

king_tubby

To be fair, I haven't bought any new clothes all year and am wearing t-shirts with holes in and only put socks on when leaving the house.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote"A big chunk of people have disconnected themselves from the face-to-face world yet are still leading a full economic life. That means remote workers are contributing less to the infrastructure of the economy whilst still receiving its benefits. That is a big problem for the economy."
fucking what

QuoteA daily 5% working from home tax would cost an employee earning £35,000 just under £7 a day, according to Templeman's calculations. He suggests the £6.9bn raised in the UK by taxing remote workers could provide a grant of £2,000 to the 12% of people aged over 25 who earn the minimum wage.

Under Deutsche Bank's proposals, the new tax could also support people who have lost their jobs or been forced to take on lower-paid roles while they retrain.
yeah heaven forbid rich bastards pay more tax

king_tubby

BlodwynPig

The dreams of a greener, happier future DASHED by Deutsche Freiheit

evilcommiedictator

People famously not needing to heat, power or have internet in their homes when working from home, whilst the office is entirely turned off, yep

Fambo Number Mive

Also, surely people buy the same amount of food whether they work from home or in an office?

Whether people work from home is  the choice of the company as well as the employee. You might get some companies telling workers in one location to all work from home to save on office rents, its not like the company is going to pay the working from home tax.

JamesTC

When I am ruler, my first tax would be a cunt tax levied at 20% for lower income cunts, 40% at middle income cunts and 50% for higher income cunts. Deutsche Bank would be the first bunch of cunts to receive a demand.

Fambo Number Mive

What next, people being taxed for not going shopping enough?

JamesTC

People being taxed for not being patriotic enough or having a big enough poppy.

dissolute ocelot

It's both evil and nonsensical. I go to shops more now that I don't have to travel to a business park in the middle of nowhere every day. Plus there's all the online shopping deliveries. Tax people who write reports for a living.