Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:16:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The worst responses to the coronavirus

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 17, 2020, 11:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Banlon

Zetetic

I thought the resemblance was quite uncanny.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 05, 2021, 08:15:07 PM
horrible - hope we don't go down the US route of street stuff flooding the populace.
The NHSs absorb the cost, of course. Maybe starts an argument with the generic manufacturers (who don't care) or starts trying to encourage GPs to switch people (which takes a decade).

I've never once seen these "shortages" actually convert into actual problems obtaining this or that major generic from a community pharmacy.[nb]And it's not like there aren't good enough short-term substitutes for
Spoiler alert
sertraline
[close]
in the absolute worst case.[/nb].

I'm sure it does happen, and I and the people around me have just been extremely lucky. (But... I am on an antidepressant probably taken by fewer than 20k people in the UK, with only two manufacturers left and whose price has spiked "unexpectedly" a couple of times over the years - and I've never had any issue obtaining it.)

Fambo Number Mive

In Texas, a man who had tested positive for coronavirus was allowed to leave his cell and attend court. The district judge was informed after the trial's first phase, but jurors weren't told until they had finish deliberating the next morning

Quote...The defendant had been unaware of his test result, but Brazos County jail officials knew. Pratt should never have been allowed to leave an isolated cell, let alone been taken to the courthouse in a county vehicle while seated next to another defendant who then sat in another courtroom all day.

The sheriff blamed a lack of communication between detention and transport staff, a problem he later said was remedied with better signage in isolation wards and updated lists of inmates who've tested positive...

The next morning, Smith let the jury finish deliberating while Pratt stayed in isolation at the jail. When jurors reached a verdict, Smith told them they'd all potentially been exposed to the coronavirus and the case would be recessed for at least two weeks while everyone went into quarantine.

The jury wasn't allowed to announce if it found Pratt guilty or innocent because the defendant wasn't present.

In the courtroom next door, where the trial for Pratt's earlier car companion, Charles Raines, was still ongoing, the judge declared a mistrial after telling the jurors they had been potentially exposed to the virus. Raines tested positive for the coronavirus soon after...

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/01/05/texas-jury-trials-coronavirus/

shiftwork2

Perhaps all things considered not amongst the 'worst responses' but I object to Deliveroo's email bollocks titling itself "Important message on Covid-19" when it's about delivering sandwiches.

dissolute ocelot

Vaccine company Moderna has just been "awarded" the Shkreli prize for profiteering, given by a US health think tank in "honour" of Martin Shkreli, "the most hated man in America". In the US Moderna is selling its vaccine for far more than anybody else despite receiving US$1bn research funding from the government (while many other companies got nothing). Also:
QuoteJudges noted that Dr. Elizabeth Nabel, CEO of Brigham and Women's Hospital and a member of Moderna's board, penned an op-ed in February defending high drug prices. Nabel did not disclose her role at Moderna in the op-ed. She also faced questions of conflicts-of-interest after Brigham and Women's Hospital was selected as a trial site for Moderna's vaccine. Award judges noted that Nabel had received $487,500 in Moderna stock options and other payments in 2019 and sold $8.5 million worth of Moderna stock in 2020 after the company's stock nearly quadrupled amid fanfare around its COVID-19 vaccine.

evilcommiedictator

I thought Blods might like this, but here in Australia there's a bit of a thing going on, with techbros in Sydney rather happy with their state getting rid of the Rona after 4 months without using any population-wide legislation. There's been another small outbreak and the local government has mandated masks, which has lead to these techbros giving takes like this:

and from the same person, talking about countries stopping people flying from the UK

BlodwynPig

thanks evil. I'm not so clued up on things outside of Government at the moment. Somewhat detached from public life. I see it as all hot air babbling. We're battling internally with our own techbros.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA property investment company has offered GP surgeries £5,000 for unused coronavirus vaccine doses.

The Hacking Trust's medical division approached surgeries in Bristol and Worthing offering to pay the money to charity "or the staff member directly".

Robyn Clark, from the Institute of General Practice Management, said it was "just appalling".

The company, based in London, has apologised, saying its "good intentions" were "misinterpreted".

NHS England said people "will rightly take a dim view of anyone who tries to jump the queue".

"The NHS is free at the point of access for everyone who needs it," said Ms Clark.

"What we felt this company was trying to do was jump the queue."

The Bristol-based manager said she worried it could "create more health inequality"...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55593210

Meanwhile a Hackney gym has been fined £1,000 for remaining opening during lockdown. Personally I think that, given how bad COVID is in London at the moment, the Stean Street gym got off very lightly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55601293

phes

Walked past a McDonalds franchise yesterday and they had kids staffing the streams of gridlocked cars trying to filter into the drive through. Walked back past an hour or two later. Same kids. Paying kids a few £ an hour to stand outside breathing gridlock emissions to keep your tills going is a pretty shit response imo

Dex Sawash

A few places here have gone drive through only so I'm stuck with it. Often I will see a car ahead that has the automatic engine stop while idling feature shut down, the driver lifts foot off brake momentarily to force it to restart.

BlodwynPig

sirhenry

Handcock, caught in a lie, simply repeats the lie, even after having his own scientific data disproving his point read to him: insane BBC link, see if this works.

Blue Jam

Just had an email from Now TV with the subject: "Blue Jam, let's have a look at your 2020". Within are my "stats", telling me how many shows I've watched, how many episodes in a row etc.

Quite relieved that my longest binge-watch was "only" four episodes of a show and that I watched a whopping zero of the top ten shows, but fucksake Now TV, no-one wants concrete proof that they're a couch potato shoved in their face. What next, will Deliveroo send me an email telling me how many takeaways I've ordered and how many calories I've consumed and how DEAD SOON I am?

BlodwynPig

Blue Jam here are your stats for 2021

Your screen time is up 10% from 2020 (26 hours per day)

jobotic

https://blisty.cz/art/102411-obscennost-covidiotu.html?fbclid=IwAR3nwgBhw31DKi5_1HYH-A0M53bwfStlVETmOoAk-oj5HOLnWe9vDSJ4Ens

QuoteAt today's pro-Trump protest in Prague, some demonstrators wore a six-pointed star badge with the word "Neočkovaný" (Unvaccinated), to express disagreement with the vaccination plan.
Jews of the Reich and the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia were forced to wear the distinctive yellow badge on their clothing by order of the German authorities.

dissolute ocelot

Just got a hand-written letter (via postman, address but no name) from a Jehovah's Witness saying that Jesus wanted world government, which is apparently what the Lord's Prayer is about when it says "let your kingdom come". Unsure whether to put this in best or worst responses, to be honest.

hamfist

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 13, 2021, 11:15:20 AM
Just got a hand-written letter (via postman, address but no name) from a Jehovah's Witness saying that Jesus wanted world government, which is apparently what the Lord's Prayer is about when it says "let your kingdom come". Unsure whether to put this in best or worst responses, to be honest.

kingDOM CUMMINGS

woah

Dusty Substance

This may not be the very worst response to the Coronavirus but it is, by far, the least funny COVID related attempt at humour. Utter utter dogshit from a completely out of touch BAFTA nominated comedy writer.

https://twitter.com/MerylORourke/status/1347512926761086977

jobotic

seven seas of Ry
@rystarRussell
·
8 Jan
Replying to
@MerylORourke
and
@Sara_Rose_G
The working class still have to go to work.. the middle class get to stay safe in there homes, how has she not worked that out yet
Sara Gibbs
@Sara_Rose_G
·
8 Jan
You're yelling at a sketch

Fuck off

frajer

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 13, 2021, 04:29:40 PM
This may not be the very worst response to the Coronavirus but it is, by far, the least funny COVID related attempt at humour. Utter utter dogshit from a completely out of touch BAFTA nominated comedy writer.

https://twitter.com/MerylORourke/status/1347512926761086977

Not even sure who she's targeting here. Is she genuinely saying people shouldn't be out driving, or parodying how ridiculous it is to expect people not to drive when they have to work? Still, glad she could pop out the house without a mask on to spray her droplets everywhere. Well worth it.

Fambo Number Mive

Is "filming a comedy sketch" an approved reason to leave your house?

Dusty Substance

Quote from: frajer on January 13, 2021, 11:59:37 PM
Not even sure who she's targeting here. Is she genuinely saying people shouldn't be out driving, or parodying how ridiculous it is to expect people not to drive when they have to work? Still, glad she could pop out the house without a mask on to spray her droplets everywhere. Well worth it.
Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 14, 2021, 08:31:23 AM
Is "filming a comedy sketch" an approved reason to leave your house?

I assume she believes herself to be charming, twee and endearing. Like that comedy fad from 2010. She probably defintiely owns a ukulele.

dissolute ocelot

At least she's not standing in front of people's cars demanding to know the purpose of their journey, or playing the ukelele at traffic lights while singing a satirical song. Hospitals are already full.

shiftwork2

Just had our third 'stop being cunts to each other' email.  Includes canteen staff being verbally abused when enforcing social distancing and vaccination centre staff (working from 7am to 8pm, usually in addition to a normal working week) being verbally abused if they can't magically create slots from thin air.

I do hope nobody believed that NHS Hero bollocks.

frajer

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 14, 2021, 03:38:46 PM
I do hope nobody believed that NHS Hero bollocks.

Wonder how many times the phrase "I clapped for you and this is what I get in return?" has been deployed.

Fambo Number Mive

Local paper reports on a group stopped after police saw a car driving at 80mph in a 50mph zone on the motorway

Quote...The driver, who only had a provisional licence and was driving without any learner plates or supervisor, was also high behind the wheel...

PC Payne, from the Roads Policing Unit, said that they couldn't find any drugs in the car but wrote on Facebook: "All three occupants also found to be in breach of Covid-19 rules as they had driven well over 150 miles from their homes in Bristol to go and see various friends in and around London that night.

"All three were also from different households and were on their way back home from their 'epic' night out...

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19017864.three-people-bristol-fined-driving-lockdown/

I imagine driving while high isn't the safest thing to do - they could have ended up taking up several beds in an already overcrowded hospital.

In other news, a man was fined £200 for driving over 100 miles, he claimed he was going to visit McDonalds.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteDeborah(stage 4 bowel cancer) Lord Sumption, I'm the person that you say whose life is not valuable.

Lord Sumption - "I didn't say it wasn't valuable, I said it was less valuable

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1350762750327271424