Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:21:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The worst responses to the coronavirus

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 17, 2020, 11:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 02, 2021, 07:58:05 AM
So if Orr thinks he can ignore laws he deems "unjust", what's to stop someone filling his soft play centre with horseradish and then claiming that they can't be prosecuted because any relevant laws are "unjust"?

I ignore some laws I consider to be unjust, such as the one that criminalises cannabis users. However, I would not try and use this as a defence if I got busted, cos I'm not that stupid.

buttgammon

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 02, 2021, 07:34:20 AM
Magna Carta update from ex-footballer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-57322352

Ahh, the British equivalent of what 'The Constitution' for people in America and Ireland (the latter largely by Freemen of the Land whose only understanding of law comes from American libertarians talking about why it's their right to shoot people and who don't seem to realise that the Irish and American constitutions are very different instruments).

Ian Watkins working at the soft play because Magna Carta trumps DBS checks.

Zetetic

Another two hours spent this morning in a meeting with people saying things like "What we achieved with information flows was really phenomenal".  Best not to mention all the fucking deaths.

BlodwynPig

Had to cancel my meeting with Welsh government as I felt unwell. They seem like decent guys and know their biscuits.

Zetetic

Not WG in this case, but health service.

The couple of WG people for your bit of things are indeed alright in my experience. (I've sacked that off, to be honest, because, you know, everyone's already fucking dead and I don't really give a shit about undertesting any more.)

BlodwynPig

Just code-drones now, shuffling algorithms between the 4 nations

Dex Sawash

Quote from: jobotic on June 02, 2021, 08:06:56 AM
Cirque D-Play

Should have fined him for that too.

Cirque du softplay was just beyond grasp

kalowski

Quote from: Zetetic on June 02, 2021, 11:19:05 AM
Not WG in this case, but health service.

The couple of WG people for your bit of things are indeed alright in my experience. (I've sacked that off, to be honest, because, you know, everyone's already fucking dead and I don't really give a shit about undertesting any more.)
WG = working girls?

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA MAN from Oxford, who organised a party at a Tesco petrol station during lockdown, has been fined thousands of pounds.

Nothing says "party" like a petrol station. Good thing Robocop didn't turn up.

BlodwynPig

imitationleather

Quote from: Drygate on June 04, 2021, 06:58:56 PM
Did Gove(id) and Son really need to go to Portugal?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/04/nhs-covid-app-alerted-michael-gove-four-days-after-portugal-return

Dunno about Gove but Son definitely has no excuse. Spurs weren't even in the Champions League this year.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 07, 2021, 11:55:26 PM
lol some wally's fallen asleep with their mask on:
https://twitter.com/t0nit0ne/status/1401876684371021830

It's makeup. a) no-one wears a mask to sunbath, b) even if he was wearing one, he'd not 'forget' as its virtually impossible to not realise, c) his natural skin tone is hardly likely to be Geisha powdery white. d) its tik Tok, home of the narcissist.

Consignia

It's not even make up, it's clearly a video effect. There's a solid oval area on the face, and the straps don't move naturally either.

Urgh, twice I've accidently came across that video. Even without sound it's annoying.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 12, 2021, 01:27:33 AM
Van Morrison is a deranged, self-absorbed prick https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57443478

Rave on, Rave on, Rave on, Rave on, Rave on, Rave on...
Rave on You're Done.

Sebastian Cobb

Was going to post this in the infantilisation thread until I saw how long it has been dormant.

Fambo Number Mive

Johnson thinks the British public are all idiots. I mean a lot of them are to be fair.

Fambo Number Mive

The photos of the G7 leaders meeting indoors maskless are unhelpful, some people are using them as an excuse not to wear a mask. I know all the leaders will be double vaccinated and testing daily, but they need to set an example.

Drygate

This is a light hearted look at the West's anti mask stance in the first few months of the pando

https://lessonsfromthecrisis.substack.com/p/what-on-earth-happened-with-covid

Fambo Number Mive

That's fascinating and disturbing reading, especially the bit with about the Jeremy Vine show.

https://twitter.com/DrSarahJarvis/status/1239573057519353858 - this aged well.

It also shows that people in the UK were calling for a similar approach to South Korea back in early March 2020, but the government ignored them, as well as ignoring the scientific consensus in Asia.

Wonder if Dr Jarvis, the Jeremy Vine show or the people tweeting in support of Jarvis have apologised to Caprice. It's ironic that had Caprice been Prime Minister instead of Johnson we'd be much better off now.

jobotic

QuotePhilip Davies (Con) says deaths are running below the five-year average. So why, instead of trusting the common sense of the British people, he instead trusts experts like Susan Michie, a long-standing member of the Communist party, who wants restrictions to last for ever.

Johnson says no one wants restrictions to last for ever.

Davies has always been a piece of shit, mind.

buttgammon

Aside from the death and misery, one of the worst aspects of this pandemic is the trashing of scientific expertise. We shouldn't be surprised consider the bad rep 'experts' have been getting for years, but the constant bullying of medical and public health academics from the right is awful. Not many things have made me angrier than seeing Leo Varadkar, until recently the Taoiseach and a former doctor himself, trashing the most senior public health doctor in the country on live TV last autumn. Needless to say, Varadkar was proven wrong and his government had to impose a lockdown shortly afterwards, but his lines of attack have been repeated time and time again by people who have ulterior motives for disregarding public health guidance. He's not a conspiracy nut, but someone who likes to paint himself as one of the adults of the room, and yet he was very happy launching a personal attack on a respected scientist for political gain.

jobotic

QuoteWilliam Wragg (Con) asks when Sage members will start giving media performances again to depress morale.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: jobotic on June 16, 2021, 12:35:13 PM
Davies has always been a piece of shit, mind.

The last fifteen months have made me much less trusting in the common sense of the British people, which I already had little trust in anyway. Maybe Philip Davies doesn't get on buses and see people with their masks round their chins stuffing their faces, or somehow hasn't read about all the parties that took place during lockdown.

Re buttgammon - I quite agree, there is a cartoonist for the Telegraph who keeps drawing cartoons with scientists in white coats being unreasonable. Scientists gave us the vaccines, while much of the media has done nothing but undermine the science and deflect criticism of those in charge. It's easy for cartoonists (who mostly work from home) to call for restrictions to be lifted, I imagine those who draw for newspapers on a regular basis (your Blowers, Pauls etc) earn a lot of money.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteBoris Johnson told MPs: "Captain hindsight needs to adjust his retrospectocope"

It's all one big giggle to him, isn't it? Do you think after he finishes conferences he goes into a room and has a good laugh?