Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,398
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:36:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alternative Sources of Income

Started by drummersaredeaf, March 17, 2020, 12:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Related to the 'how scared are you?' thread, I was thinking that my biggest fear is not being able to work, and being in a particularly odd sit of circumstances where I can't really claim benefit either. My big fear as a result is the economy tanking.

What alternative ways are there to make a few quid on the side under your own steam? I'm too hideous for webcam botty tugs but I suppose I could do birthday messages on Fiverr.

Sebastian Cobb

Install one of those glove things they have for handling radioactive material in nuclear power plants in your front door and give handjobs through it.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 17, 2020, 12:02:07 PM
Install one of those glove things they have in nuclear power plants in your front door and give handjobs through it.

Will I have to flip the spy hole?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on March 17, 2020, 12:03:15 PM
Will I have to flip the spy hole?

Maybe you could flip it but attach a device for placing slides into so the customer can view an image of their choosing.

massive bereavement

Before the time comes where we have no money left to buy food, I suspect that anybody who can still blink one eye unaided will be compelled to take a job with the NHS.

Sheffield Wednesday

bgmnts

Are they still offering cash for test patients?

Zero Gravitas

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on March 17, 2020, 12:14:06 PM
Are they still offering cash for test patients?

My employers have just suspended the recruitment of patients to clinical trials.

Blue Jam

1. Put some rats on sticks
2. Flame-grill them over a burning oil drum
3. Profit. Or scabies.

kittens

already be very rich and live off the interest. it's a no brainer

dissolute ocelot

I've always fancied trying Amazon Mechanical Turk for a few extra quid (do menial online tasks for cash), but I've no idea what kind of hourly rate you'd get, especially these days.

Noonling

alan nagsworth

Set up a Twitch profile and get all your mates to subscribe via Amazon Prime. Apparently Amazon pays you £10 a month for each subscriber.

Your feed could be a humorous ironic-boring review channel of all the everyday household crap knocking about in your house.

Actually I'm gonna do that, no one steal my idea please

Malcy

Opinionoutpost.co.uk

I'll be clearing about £60 from it this month. Survey site which means it can be boring as fuck but even if you do a few a day you could make around £30 a month.

I was lucky that I got one that was an invite to an hour long online discussion which was a shambles but it still paid £20. And as a bonus I got a cat food trial one which paid a few quid and saved me money on buying food.

There are loads of these sites but I feel just sticking to one is enough. You can cash out at £2.50 to paypal or let it build up.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: kittens on March 17, 2020, 12:41:07 PM
already be very rich and live off the interest. it's a no brainer

People laughed at you when you said your plan was to win the lottery, bet they're not laughing now huh!

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Malcy on March 18, 2020, 01:03:09 PM
Opinionoutpost.co.uk

I'll be clearing about £60 from it this month. Survey site which means it can be boring as fuck but even if you do a few a day you could make around £30 a month.

I was lucky that I got one that was an invite to an hour long online discussion which was a shambles but it still paid £20. And as a bonus I got a cat food trial one which paid a few quid and saved me money on buying food.

There are loads of these sites but I feel just sticking to one is enough. You can cash out at £2.50 to paypal or let it build up.

I was gonna say, yougov surveys, just 300 hours of form filling and a tenner could be yours which will get you a second hand roll of toilet paper!

Bence Fekete

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 17, 2020, 12:51:43 PM
I've always fancied trying Amazon Mechanical Turk for a few extra quid (do menial online tasks for cash), but I've no idea what kind of hourly rate you'd get, especially these days.

Unfortunately they only pay out in US Amazon gift vouchers and if you get caught exchanging them it's an insta-ban. Haven't figured out a way round this yet without risking hours of work for nothing. 

I've had some experience with barrel scraping clicky jobs this year already:

Clickworker is a European based alternative to mTurk but the money and job availability is pretty shit unti you do one of their tests for UHRS, and even then it's a nightmare trying to figure out what non-native English speakers *think* is fluent English. The people who've cracked it though are able to consistenly make somewhere around £6/hour+, so it is possible I'm told.

Neevo is my favourite. Crowd sourced artificial intelligence training. Get a good gig on this and you can make a couple hundred dollars in a week or so. But work is patchy.

Prolific are the best survey site imo. You need the chrome browser extension mind or you'll miss 'em cos they're so popular. It's used by academics so the tests are often interesting enough and pay very well but like all of these it's inconsistent and you have to jump on jobs quick.

If you can type and transcribe there's plenty of sites for that for something approaching minimum wage and upwards. And if you're prepared to put in a bit more effort there are sites like Appen and Lionbridge which are more like real jobs where you need a CV to apply and have to turn up and be reliable etc. But I haven't got that far yet.

Oh and one more: matched betting. Penty of guides out there for this and it is a verified and pretty straightforward way to make up to £500+ just by doing all the free-bet offers from online bookies. 

Dewt

Everyone here can type and grammar, so rev.com is superior to all of those. Yes, they underpay, but you can still at least comfortably make $1000+ a month[nb]in money that gets Paypal-ed to you regularly[/nb] if you've got nothing else going on.

Bence Fekete

Yeah I agree.

I personally have a wrist wanking injury and am thus unable to transcribe for long hours.

pancreas

chveik

Quote from: Dewt on March 18, 2020, 08:23:07 PM
Everyone here can type and grammar, so rev.com is superior to all of those. Yes, they underpay, but you can still at least comfortably make $1000+ a month[nb]in money that gets Paypal-ed to you regularly[/nb] if you've got nothing else going on.

dunno if this article is trustworthy but it seems a bit worrying

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/25/20979249/rev-recordings-transcriptions-low-pay-complaints-freelance-transcribers

Dewt

It is not a stream of terror. I think they've made an article out of a few sensitive people's specific complaints.

Noonling

Quote from: chveik on March 18, 2020, 10:11:28 PM
dunno if this article is trustworthy but it seems a bit worrying

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/25/20979249/rev-recordings-transcriptions-low-pay-complaints-freelance-transcribers

Christ. I know someone who used to transcribe police interviews and apparently the company were pretty shitty, but at least going in you knew you might be faced with disturbing content.

Anyway, I already tried to sign up and (for the UK at least) it says signups are currently disabled.

Quote from: Dewt on March 18, 2020, 10:16:04 PM
It is not a stream of terror. I think they've made an article out of a few sensitive people's specific complaints.

I think its pretty reasonable to be distressed if you spend a couple of hours transcribing boring corporate meetings or something and then got this: (999 call)

QuoteIf the transcriber chooses to not finish a job after the hour-long grace period, they risk receiving a lowered "commitment ratio score" in addition to giving up any money they would have made. If a transcriber's standing goes below a certain threshold, their account can be terminated. "Sometimes you'll get part way through a file and realize, 'Oh, this involves some child abuse,'" says another Revver. "And if it's past the unclaimed time, you can't [abandon] it."

Dewt

You can get a gist of what you're captioning before you choose a project. You're not just subjected to stuff. The article is stupid, you could write the same thing about how awful it was you watched a man being kicked to death on YouTube.

That's a shit example Noonling, should I go and write an article about how you shouldn't use online forums because you've posted that image that nobody was expecting?

Noonling

Ah OK, I'll take your word for it.  The article makes it sound like it isn't always clear beyond a general category.

QuoteThat's a shit example Noonling, should I go and write an article about how you shouldn't use online forums because you've posted that image that nobody was expecting?

Personally I feel there's something quite different about reading a transcript and listening to the actual call.

Dewt

It's misleading journalism nonsense. If anything it's safer than reading a thread on reddit or Twitter or a forum, because you could easily decide to just caption old black and white movies and have a mountain of jobs to work. You could 100% definitely avoid even the slightest chance of seeing something disturbing.

You're just wrong, you're talking about something you have no experience on based on information implanted by some clickbait journo cunts trying to make a few dollars.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 17, 2020, 09:16:24 PM
Set up a Twitch profile and get all your mates to subscribe via Amazon Prime. Apparently Amazon pays you £10 a month for each subscriber.

Your feed could be a humorous ironic-boring review channel of all the everyday household crap knocking about in your house.

Actually I'm gonna do that, no one steal my idea please

That's basically what this guy does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYd0vMa5vrw

It's not quite good enough imo.

Noonling

Quote from: Dewt on March 18, 2020, 10:23:34 PM
You're just wrong, you're talking about something you have no experience on based on some clickbait journo cunts trying to make a few dollars.

Alright mate, I said I'd take your word for it!

My experience of transcription in a proper job is that it is 100% boring.