Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:44:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alternative Sources of Income

Started by drummersaredeaf, March 17, 2020, 12:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Quote from: Noonling on March 18, 2020, 10:27:24 PM
Alright mate, I said I'd take your word for it!
Before you kept going on about it FFS! People might actually find a lifeline in this if they're sat around all day broke.

It's boring and it pays shit to the point where you're being used, those things are true. But if you need a hundred quid and you can sacrifice a few hours, it's an option.

Noonling

Is it weird that I want to turn this into an ongoing argument?

Is that a symptom of coronovirus?

Love you 😘

purlieu

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 17, 2020, 12:51:43 PM
I've always fancied trying Amazon Mechanical Turk for a few extra quid (do menial online tasks for cash), but I've no idea what kind of hourly rate you'd get, especially these days.
Christ, I did this a long time ago and literally forgot about it until today. I have a feeling I was actually prepping something like Google Street View, because I had to do things like point out where things were on a photo clearly taken from a car. I wonder if I still have the credit from that, it was a long time ago.

Being a ludicrously fast typist, I wonder if I could actually do any of these transcription jobs. Boring they may be, but so is my life being stuck indoors.

Dewt

The other thing (as well as them apparently closing sign-ups now) is that a lot of the jobs are just impossible. Some kid in Africa introducing themselves on a  2001-era phone camera that eight people have already given up trying to transcribe, for example. So you have to snipe jobs, or transcribe enough so that you get to be "Revver+" level and get the priority queue. I suspect that's how people actually make $1000+.

Looks like it's even worse with so many people jobless and stuck at home.

Also if you're not a natural you'll get rated badly and not be able to level up. But I suspect most here would be fine.

I did it out curiosity. Was quite good at it, but the time suck was just not worth it for $200 or whatever extra a month.

Noonling

I reckon now would be a great time to develop one's defrauding skills.

Barry Admin

Fucking hell, some unexpectedly disturbing stuff in this thread folks, maybe we could do with some content warnings?

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 18, 2020, 10:25:26 PM
That's basically what this guy does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYd0vMa5vrw

It's not quite good enough imo.

CW: THIS HAS FUCKING ASHENS IN IT.

Dewt

Ugh, imagine having to caption Ashens. I wouldn't use words, it would just be a big stream of

- [Ashens] (guffaws like a sub-90s TV irony prick)

Sebastian Cobb

The other wally's equally bad. He tried to make his own pot noodles in flimsy plastic cups without really understanding how freeze drying works.

Dewt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 18, 2020, 10:53:16 PM
The other wally's equally bad. He tried to make his own pot noodles in flimsy plastic cups without really understanding how freeze drying works.
I only watched about fifteen seconds of this, but when I did I caught that other guy "spontaneously" laughing in a way that was very self-consciously Michael Jackson's trademark "hee hee!", and you could just sense that he does that once in a while so that somebody calls him out on it and he can pretend it was a natural laugh and there would be bants.

Malcy

Also give Takepartinresearch.co.uk a look. Good payouts for an hr or two of your time. I reckon the focus groups won't be going ahead at the minute but there's usually online projects on the go all over the country.

Last one I did was £50 for 90 mins.

olliebean

Quote from: Bence Fekete on March 18, 2020, 08:20:30 PMNeevo is my favourite. Crowd sourced artificial intelligence training. Get a good gig on this and you can make a couple hundred dollars in a week or so. But work is patchy.

Signed up, spent about an hour clicking "yes" or "no" depending whether short audio clips were accurately transcribed or not, did about £10-worth of decent work, now on my work history page it says "Work didn't meet Quality Standards." Does that mean I've done an hour's work for no pay? There was nothing wrong with the work I did. Is this a scam?

Noonling

Quote from: olliebean on March 19, 2020, 10:21:11 PM
Signed up, spent about an hour clicking "yes" or "no" depending whether short audio clips were accurately transcribed or not, did about £10-worth of decent work, now on my work history page it says "Work didn't meet Quality Standards." Does that mean I've done an hour's work for no pay? There was nothing wrong with the work I did. Is this a scam?

If that's the one with 10 tasks then surely you didn't spend an hour on it, even if you redid it again. But I was kinda wondering that myself - I passed one (and then received no follow-up tasks) and apparently failed another.  Seemed a bit cheeky.

olliebean

Quote from: Noonling on March 19, 2020, 10:26:46 PM
If that's the one with 10 tasks then surely you didn't spend an hour on it, even if you redid it again. But I was kinda wondering that myself - I passed one (and then received no follow-up tasks) and apparently failed another.  Seemed a bit cheeky.

There were ten tasks in the test phase, those got accepted, then I did about 250 more for (supposedly) 4p each. Did them in bunches throughout the day, so an hour was a guess - most of them were under 15 seconds - but it was probably a bit more than an hour overall.

JarrowMonkey

I've read Morrison's are taking on thousands to help this shit fest of panic buying, good in one way I suppose, hideous in another, fuck the gig economy

JarrowMonkey

On a selfish note, I got a call back from a place I used to work to go back and help out
It's  not bad money and if I get 4-6 weeks it will make the money up from the wedge I lost in my ISA and working from home

It's the 2nd time I've been back, I was the department lead, but now I'll be back on the phones, but fuck it, hopefully working will keep my mind from this horrible time

Malcy

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on March 19, 2020, 10:40:06 PM
I've read Morrison's are taking on thousands to help this shit fest of panic buying, good in one way I suppose, hideous in another, fuck the gig economy

Lots of supermarkets are. Unfortunately most of the ones I've spotted are zero hours contracts.

This is making me think that the big supermarkets are going to blow their own trumpets about employing thousands to make themselves look good when in fact they are giving workers a handful of hours a week.

Captain Crunch

State of the art recruitment systems at ADSA:

Sebastian Cobb

Somewhere for all the laid off bar/hotel/etc people to go I suppose.

Head Gardener

As long as the post offices stay open I'll eBay my unwanted vinyl, it'll keep me in packet rice and pies

Bence Fekete

Quote from: olliebean on March 19, 2020, 10:21:11 PM

To be honest I haven't used them for a few weeks and it looks like they've changed the work history page. I've done tasks like speech samples before and because I didn't read the instructions correctly I got more wrong than I'd thought. And some of the other tasks have broken on me and jammed. But the support seem excellent and genuinely not bothered if you have any queries. 

There is a very dodgy and infuriating grey area of interpretation with all these sites where you will often feel hard done by for following their instructions to the letter and yet still get booted. You get used to it.

But in general I've found Neevo to be the fairest of the bunch. They definitely pay. My first payment took a few weeks to come through but the jobs after that have paid much quicker. 

olliebean

Quote from: Bence Fekete on March 21, 2020, 01:40:48 AM
To be honest I haven't used them for a few weeks and it looks like they've changed the work history page. I've done tasks like speech samples before and because I didn't read the instructions correctly I got more wrong than I'd thought. And some of the other tasks have broken on me and jammed. But the support seem excellent and genuinely not bothered if you have any queries. 

There is a very dodgy and infuriating grey area of interpretation with all these sites where you will often feel hard done by for following their instructions to the letter and yet still get booted. You get used to it.

But in general I've found Neevo to be the fairest of the bunch. They definitely pay. My first payment took a few weeks to come through but the jobs after that have paid much quicker.

I think what possibly might have happened is I was clicking "No" as soon as I spotted a mistake, without waiting for the clip to finish playing. Maybe they interpreted this as low quality work, although "No" was the correct response to any mistake regardless of whether the rest of the transcription was correct. Anyway I've Googled and seen some people posting that they've been paid for jobs in the past even though it said "Work didn't meet Quality Standards," so I'm holding out some hope.

Meanwhile I seem to have another similar job stuck on my dashboard in "Active" status, even though it invariably says "No more tasks available" when I try to do it.

Sebastian Cobb

I was made aware yesterday (via a source I don't distrust) of a rather brazen website that will post cannabis and hash to people in exchange for payment via Amazon gift vouchers. They've seemingly been made available for a while, but I think they stand to do well out of this.

Given the pubs are shut and people are cooped up, the police having a lot on their plate enforcing this corona shit, it wouldn't surprise me if a blind eye is turned for now.

Bence Fekete

Quote from: olliebean on March 21, 2020, 03:00:16 PMMeanwhile I seem to have another similar job stuck on my dashboard in "Active" status, even though it invariably says "No more tasks available" when I try to do it.

Yeah these things flip back and forth constantly. Some jobs keep coming back and some seem to never end (but you still get paid). I spent the first dozen jobs religiously tracking hours and pay but after they were 100% every time I don't feel the need to double-check them as much now.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 21, 2020, 03:53:16 PM
I was made aware yesterday...

Well now I'm aroused... is that US Amazon vouchers?

Sebastian Cobb

Nah, UK only I'm afraid.

It's probably dodgier than ordering by bitcoin really.

Theremin

Hi folks, any more recommendations or advice in this area?

I've signed up for some surveys and captioning, which has been decent.

Any recommendations for good copywriting stuff outside of Copify?

Thanks!

Mr_Simnock

all the local glory holes are shut so that my first alternate income down the pan :(

olliebean

Quote from: Dewt on March 18, 2020, 08:23:07 PM
Everyone here can type and grammar, so rev.com is superior to all of those. Yes, they underpay, but you can still at least comfortably make $1000+ a month[nb]in money that gets Paypal-ed to you regularly[/nb] if you've got nothing else going on.

Bugger - signed up to Rev but there's currently a 3-6 week waiting list, due to loads of people signing up because they're stuck at home. Oh well.

olliebean

Quote from: olliebean on March 31, 2020, 07:19:49 PM
Bugger - signed up to Rev but there's currently a 3-6 week waiting list, due to loads of people signing up because they're stuck at home. Oh well.

...and I've been rejected, despite taking extra special care to make sure my test transcription was correct according to their style guide. I suspect they have some extra head-canon guidelines that they just haven't thought to include.

Rev+

Dewt

Quote from: olliebean on March 31, 2020, 11:20:28 PM
...and I've been rejected, despite taking extra special care to make sure my test transcription was correct according to their style guide. I suspect they have some extra head-canon guidelines that they just haven't thought to include.
Did they give any specifics? I'm surprised. You can retake the test. Maybe I should give you my account that I don't use.

Quote from: Rev+ on March 31, 2020, 11:32:36 PM
No, it was entirely personal.
I think it's funny that their top tier of transcriber is "Revver+".