Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:17:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

An ostrich running to Chariots of Fire theme.

Started by Glebe, March 17, 2020, 03:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Kryton

pancreas

Replies From View

Quote from: pancreas on March 17, 2020, 10:55:49 PM
Make us a video of it and we will remember it well

If he does, and it doesn't match my cherished memory of it, I will be suing you.

Cerys

Glebe

I'm pretty sure it was actually the video for Talk Talk's 'Its My Life' but I don't want to believe that.

wosl

Please try and remember which it was!  An ostrich's legs are lot more prominent than those of a video cassette, it shouldn't be that difficult.

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on March 18, 2020, 05:05:24 AM
I'm pretty sure it was actually the video for Talk Talk's 'Its My Life' but I don't want to believe that.

When I saw the video for Talk Talk's 'It's My Life' a few years ago, I immediately made the connection; the beak angle and the running speed and the desert landscapes all matched what I remembered of the sequence.

But a big part of me is certain that the same footage of the ostrich must have been used with Chariots of Fire at some point in the 80s, perhaps in short adverts for the Olympics.  I don't think 'It's My Life' would have been on telly with the kind of regularity to sink into my childhood brain in the same way as a recurring trailer or advert would have done.  Also in the music video there is a squiggly animation of a worm or something overlaid which I'm sure I would remember being there as it's really distracting.

Replies From View

I've just rewatched 'It's My Life' and there isn't enough ostrich footage there.  There were additional angles of the ostrich running accompanying the Chariots of Fire music, including one wider shot from behind the ostrich at a higher angle, looking down.

Why is this even in HS Art?  This topic deserves its own sub forum.

Glebe

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on March 18, 2020, 10:49:14 AM
Was it a BT ad or summit?

Olympics is my sense, or some other sports thing.  I could even venture that at some point there was a cut from a sprinter at the starting blocks to the ostrich doing its thing to Chariots of Fire.  Then further editing back and forth between them.

Glebe

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on March 18, 2020, 11:39:17 AM
Maybe it was directed by Ridley Scott.

I've already said I don't think it's a BT advert.  Are you deaf?

Replies From View

Glebe

Quote from: Replies From View on March 18, 2020, 12:58:29 PMI've already said I don't think it's a BT advert.  Are you deaf?

There's no need to be a rude, ostrich-obsessed cunt about it!

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Glebe on March 18, 2020, 02:59:59 PM
There's no need to be a rude, ostrich-obsessed cunt about it!

This phrase really made me laugh.

Replies From View

Well it has annoyed me because I do need to be a rude, ostrich-obsessed cunt.  WHY DO PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT ME TO CHANGE WHAT I AM

Replies From View

He thinks everything was "maybe" directed by Ridley Scott because he is obsessed with BT adverts.

Sometimes you just have to put your foot down.

Glebe

Does anyone remember the classic Hovis ad with the ostrich going up the hill with a bike?

Cerys

non capisco

I have time enough at last now to finally watch all those YouTube channels of hours of TV continuity uploaded off old VHS tapes, it'll be on one of those. Race you to find it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Cerys on March 18, 2020, 10:00:17 PM
Could it possibly have been an emu?

Hmm; interesting.  I wonder if they saw the same ostrich thing I saw, and they made that video to scratch the same itch.

Sheffield Wednesday

This thread is the funniest thing on the forum this month.

Glebe

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on March 19, 2020, 06:12:29 AMThis thread is the funniest thing on the forum this month.

It's no laughing matter SW. If we don't identify this ostrich soon it could mean ructions in Parliament.

Cerys

Quote from: Replies From View on March 18, 2020, 10:17:32 PM
Hmm; interesting.  I wonder if they saw the same ostrich thing I saw, and they made that video to scratch the same itch.

Stranger things have been known to happen.

Kryton

Quote from: Cerys on March 21, 2020, 12:05:22 AM
Stranger things have been known to happen.

Stranger things have been known to not happen.

Dex Sawash

Replies From View

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 22, 2020, 01:24:25 PM

YES.  Check out how the very specific angle of that fucking open beak.

That must be the same footage used in the "It's My Life" video but lacking that weird squiggly line animation that I reckon I never saw as a child.

Is there more ostrich running footage available from that source?

Glebe

Quote from: Replies From View on March 22, 2020, 01:53:46 PMIs there more ostrich running footage available from that source?

This has become a lifetime preoccupation for you, hasn't it?