Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaBers with Corona? [Merged]

Started by Sin Agog, March 18, 2020, 12:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Anyone here actually been Corona'd yet?  Heard a few people self-diagnose, but I'm not sure if they're just being glib.  What's it like?  Any unreported side-effects, like your hair suddenly growing back?

Buelligan

I wasn't pissing about when I said

Quote from: Buelligan on March 12, 2020, 12:54:01 PM
I know I shouldn't talk about my own experience because it may irritate some, nevertheless, I think it's worth mentioning, the lung problem was an issue for me but nothing as dramatic as that.  I was just aware that they were filling up and it was getting hard to breathe.  I realised (I think my dissolute life of dilettante drug-taking may be thanked for this) that my brain (Me) needed to hang on to the reins here and not allow my emotions to override my well-being.  In this instance, meaning, slow calm breathing - no hyperventilation, no panic, trusting my machine to keep the levels just like I like 'em.

So if it happens to you, don't panic.  You can get through it.  I made a little ramp to sleep on and spent a lot of time sitting up when I didn't have to sleep.  I also made sure that I took in plenty of water - because my body was making all that gunk out of something and my liver and kidneys still needed washing out.  So that's something to keep in mind.

I'm sorry for mentioning it.  But DO NOT PANIC, DON'T BE AFRAID really is good advice.

I have not been tested, nor has the person I'm sure gave it to me or the people, I know the people, who gave it to him.  All of them appear to be recovering fine.  I still feel extremely weak, a little bit feverish, am still coughing (but much less than before) and my lungs aren't whistling any more.

I would add to my advice above, you'll know the difference between having the fear and genuinely not being able to breathe.  If you think for you're getting in that deep, for christ's sweet sake, call help immediately.

massive bereavement

Genuinely thought I was coming down with it yesterday, but unless it was a case of brief mild symptoms, I was just being paranoid. Difficult to make the decision whether or not to go to the shops though. I have dependants, so not going to the shops for 7 days is out of the question.

As I type this I've just spotted an old guy walking past the window carrying two massive packs of loo rolls.

Cuellar

I reckon I've got (had?) it - started with a sore throat around Wednesday last week, then I've had a tickly cough since about Friday and a high-ish temperature. It was a pretty consistent 38 yesterday, down to 37.7 as of this morning.

The only thing is the cough isn't dry, so it could well be just a cold.

Anyway I'm feeling better today so hopefully whatever it is is on the wane.

selectivememory

Have had some breathing difficulties in the last few days and some pretty bad headaches, although this morning there's been a definite improvement. Didn't really develop enough of a cough to be too concerned, and no fever at all.

I'm leaning more towards it being something else now, though about 24 hours ago I was convinced I was going down with it.

Buelligan

Quote from: Cuellar on March 18, 2020, 10:08:48 AM
I reckon I've got (had?) it - started with a sore throat around Wednesday last week, then I've had a tickly cough since about Friday and a high-ish temperature. It was a pretty consistent 38 yesterday, down to 37.7 as of this morning.

The only thing is the cough isn't dry, so it could well be just a cold.

Anyway I'm feeling better today so hopefully whatever it is is on the wane.

Being slightly serious, I'm pretty certain a sore throat is not a symptom.  If you're genuinely worried, it's sensible to isolate but don't be too worried if you've got a sore throat.

gib

Quote from: Buelligan on March 18, 2020, 10:11:49 AM
Being slightly serious, I'm pretty certain a sore throat is not a symptom.  If you're genuinely worried, it's sensible to isolate but don't be too worried if you've got a sore throat.

QuoteSome patients may have "aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea", the WHO adds. "These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don't develop any symptoms and don't feel unwell".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-symptoms-what-covid-19-first-signs-when-self-isolate/

Buelligan

I stand corrected.  Worry Cuellar.  Glad you're feeling a bit better anyway.

gib

Seems to be a recent thing that they are including sore throats. I only found out when i did a search cos i have a sore throat this morning.

ZoyzaSorris

I had the worst virus illness I've ever had with two weeks of coughing and under the weatherness followed by extreme dizziness in the street and four days in bed so extremely fatigued from head to toe that speaking was a huge effort and even breathing took constant work. Really thought I could be dying for a bit, but as I hadn't been anywhere or in contact with a confirmed case 111 weren't interested. Another two weeks of general (if less severe) illness and coughing followed and I only started to feel vaguely normal over the last few days (in the mean time developed an agonising bad back which was a nice touch. Obviously this could just have been a coincidentally bad flu but I feel that I must at least be able to entertain the possibility it was the 'vid. I do have a history of delusions of grandeur and extreme hypochondria though.

monkfromhavana

Has anyone on here got IT, and what's it been like.

I'm not aware of anyone that I know who has it, or even of people they might know who has it.

Thomas

dissolute ocelot

They were online earlier mate, helped me set up my remote desktop connection, have you tried ringing the helpdesk?

imitationleather

Surely transporting myself to somewhere I can get tested is just going make me feel loads worse.

I'll just stay at home annoying my girlfriend with endless coughing if you don't mind! If I start being proper unable to breathe I'll go to hospital. I mean, I'll probably die on the way but at least the intention will be there.

By the way if any raves are happening in the Newcastle upon Tyne area this weekend please let me know.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on March 18, 2020, 04:03:10 PM
Surely transporting myself to somewhere I can get tested is just going make me feel loads worse.

I'll just stay at home annoying my girlfriend with endless coughing if you don't mind! If I start being proper unable to breathe I'll go to hospital. I mean, I'll probably die on the way but at least the intention will be there.

By the way if any raves are happening in the Newcastle upon Tyne area this weekend please let me know.

Used to have them in the buttresses of the Tyne Bridge... you can nip downstairs and check

Nowhere Man

I had a stem cell transplant last November following my leukaemia so would be a higher priority case if I were to get it becuase of my still recovering immune system. I got tested last week because two weeks ago I was one of a handful of people at King's College's haematology ward that came in close contact (within 2 metres) of a patient later confirmed as having Covid-19. I tested negative both times I was tested, although it was a hairy few days where I didn't know if I had it or not.

I've been self-isolating for most the last two weeks although sometimes it's impossible, and i've been very careful with hand sanitiser and using face masks ect. Although tbh i'm a bit desensitised to it all just because I essentially had to isolate myself for the majority of six months last year when I was having my treatment. My bigger concern is for my Mum who is over 60 and has diabetes.

Ferris

Same boat as Imi - I can feel myself coming down with something (temperature and dry cough), but I'm isolating at home. Unless I'm really unwell I'm staying put because what is the test going to tell me? And I'll be infecting people along the way.

Better off staying in here for 2 weeks and getting time off work to play PlayStation and post feverish shite on CaB.

Or I might be overreacting. Too soon to tell.

Noonling

QuoteSome patients may have "aches and pains

My hip keeps hurting when I lie down. I also coughed yesterday.

Zetetic

Quote from: imitationleather on March 18, 2020, 04:03:10 PM
They've mostly ended testing outside of the hospitalised in England and elsewhere in the UK now anyway.

(That might change. Welsh Government put out a hideously mangled press release at 1730 today about health worker testing. That doesn't quite match what I've heard elsewhere.)

Zetetic

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 18, 2020, 09:56:48 PM
Unless I'm really unwell I'm staying put because what is the test going to tell me?
That's a very good question.

The best answers I've heard is:
- For some people, it'll make them take self-isolation more seriously, and let us (or the public themselves) identify places of contagion or contacts more usefully (see South Korea).
- For frontline care workers, it can be used to get them back in work.

Ferris

Dry cough, mild fever, dead soon.

Dex Sawash

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Buelligan on March 18, 2020, 08:23:29 AM
I wasn't pissing about when I said

I have not been tested, nor has the person I'm sure gave it to me or the people, I know the people, who gave it to him.  All of them appear to be recovering fine.  I still feel extremely weak, a little bit feverish, am still coughing (but much less than before) and my lungs aren't whistling any more.

I would add to my advice above, you'll know the difference between having the fear and genuinely not being able to breathe.  If you think for you're getting in that deep, for christ's sweet sake, call help immediately.

You're very resourceful and resilient Buelligan, I have to admit. Get well soon.

idunnosomename

thread titles you can't stop reading to the knack's one hit

katzenjammer

A family of four I know are all confirmed positive. Three of them are ok and the fourth is still a bit feverish. At least one of them had chest x rays and all was fine.  A fifth woman, sister of a friend, is another confirmed case. Had fever for a week and is now in hospital with pneumonia but last I heard was not in any danger. Apparently she most likely caught it at a party a couple of weeks ago.  A lot of people who were at the party have now come down with it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 19, 2020, 11:52:11 AM
thread titles you can't stop reading to the knack's one hit

Doesn't scan.

buttgammon

My girlfriend and her dad have got tested, and her mum is waiting for a test. If they have it it's mild thankfully. We're expecting a bit of a wait for the results and if any of them are positive, I'm going to be waiting ages to get tested.

batwings

[tag]I know, I know it's serious.[/tag]

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 19, 2020, 12:01:23 PM
Doesn't scan.

Whenever I see this thread I'm internally singing the Kinks Lola with the Las replaced with "Cab-bers with Coroooo-na"...that works way better

Stoneage Dinosaurs

CaBers with Corona getting Coffee