Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:57:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaBers with Corona? [Merged]

Started by Sin Agog, March 18, 2020, 12:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

The thing is, I knew it was a bad idea at the time. I knew this would happen and I only went because I thought it would be cancelled and I reckoned being stranded on the other side of the country would give me some original post content ideas.

steveh

Pretty sure from the symptoms now that what I first thought was just a cold is is the virus with milder symptoms. Still have the breathlessness and chest tightness, especially in the evening, but mostly now just feel immensely tired all the time.

If you're going to stock up on anything, make it chilli powder as you need something that will cut through to your depleted tastebuds.

Alberon

My wife has been battling fatigue with this virus she has, so maybe it is THE virus. If so, that means I'll get it next week, or I gave it to her from a symptomless infection last week.

ZoyzaSorris

My dad came down with a fever and cough towards end of last week, we obviously all considered C-19 to be a serious possibility, now says he has lost his sense of smell too which I gather is a warning sign. Slightly worrying! He's quite a robust fella but does have Type II diabetes.

I had serious fatigue 2 weeks back that lasted from the weekend until maybe midweek. A week on from that I've had a tight chest that has mostly persisted until now and has required some inhaler pumps. Odd blast of night sweats here and there. But barely a single cough that couldn't be attributed to eating chilli or something. Nothing in the way of fever.

Probably ok, but I'm genuinely shitting it as an asthmatic who has had suspected pneumonia as an adult, that this is it waiting to get worse, or that it's around the corner when there aren't enough hospital beds. I think I'm young and (otherwise) healthy enough to likely survive it, but if I get it any worse than a mild case, I'm pretty certain it will require a hospital stay.

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on March 24, 2020, 02:21:44 PM
My dad came down with a fever and cough towards end of last week, we obviously all considered C-19 to be a serious possibility, now says he has lost his sense of smell too which I gather is a warning sign. Slightly worrying! He's quite a robust fella but does have Type II diabetes.

With a cough, fever and lost sense of smell, I'd be pretty certain I had it to be honest. Here's hoping it's mild.

BlodwynPig

So a lot of CaB people/relatives have the following symptoms:

1. Chest tightness
2. Symptoms vacillating depending on time of day (worse in evenings)
3. Fatigue or malaise

Not so much

1. Persistent Cough
2. Fever

I reckon there is a secondary virus going around, as I mentioned - the Piggyback Virus

steveh

What made me feel it was the virus was that it was a sore throat first with a high temperature at times and some coughing and then after several days it moved down to the chest resulting in breathlessness, which seems consistent with the information that it attacks first the upper and then the lower respiratory system. There were also two days earlier on of an upset stomach and the loss of taste, which have also been reported as symptoms. The tiredness has only kicked 10 days after the sore throat started.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on March 24, 2020, 02:36:14 PM
With a cough, fever and lost sense of smell, I'd be pretty certain I had it to be honest. Here's hoping it's mild.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's it. Nice extra stress to the situation! Here's hoping indeed. Lost my mum to an awful illness just over three years ago, could do with out making up the set in short order.

Ferris

Quote from: steveh on March 24, 2020, 03:07:03 PM
What made me feel it was the virus was that it was a sore throat first with a high temperature at times and some coughing and then after several days it moved down to the chest resulting in breathlessness, which seems consistent with the information that it attacks first the upper and then the lower respiratory system. There were also two days earlier on of an upset stomach and the loss of taste, which have also been reported as symptoms. The tiredness has only kicked 10 days after the sore throat started.

This sounds like what I had, albeit I had a very mild version. Haven't noticed the tiredness, but I have a 14month old son so I'm always exhausted.

H-O-W-L

Worried now my chest infection may have been the 'vid.

Uncle TechTip

Surely any past infection being covid is good, as your are still alive.

It can't be that many people had this virus in the last couple of months though - else why are deaths only ramping up in March? I suppose there's the potential that the current killer is a mutated strain? Are all the covid cases today of the exact same virus? No can't be, as it would get a new name. It doesn't make sense that we've all already had it.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Loss of sense of smell and/or taste appears to (anecdotally) be quite specific for COVID-19.

hamfist

On Sunday my neighbour asked over the fence whether our daughter could come round to her place and play with her daughter. I said no. Moments later she asked if her daughter could walk to the village shop with my daughter to buy sweets, again I said no - no shopping unless essential - thought she was a bit weird asking.

Today, I learned that last week her daughter had been taken to her grandparents, where she stayed overnight, and had come down with a fever during the night. The grandparents had phoned my neighbour at 3am to tell them, and the kid's dad - who is an NHS doctor - subsequently went into self isolation at home from the middle of last week. As in - before these two attempts to get my daughter to go round to their house / go to the shops. She's been chucking stuff over our fence the last two days for my kids to pick up - bubble blowing thingies, some paper flowers she'd made.

The mother runs a "sharing life" helping the old folk community in our village, and they organise cups of tea and chats with penshies, and she's been doing that this week too.

Anyway : the kid is going for a 'vid test today because they suspect she's got it. FML.

I almost suspect they are deliberately trying to infect us. This is most bizarre. Either that or they are totally FUCKING STUPID. I'm really pissed off with the stupid cunts TBH.

tldr; #DEADSOON

massive bereavement

Quote from: hamfist on March 24, 2020, 05:01:26 PM
On Sunday my neighbour asked over the fence whether our daughter could come round to her place and play with her daughter. I said no. Moments later she asked if her daughter could walk to the village shop with my daughter to buy sweets, again I said no - no shopping unless essential - thought she was a bit weird asking.

Today, I learned that last week her daughter had been taken to her grandparents, where she stayed overnight, and had come down with a fever during the night. The grandparents had phoned my neighbour at 3am to tell them, and the kid's dad - who is an NHS doctor - subsequently went into self isolation at home from the middle of last week. As in - before these two attempts to get my daughter to go round to their house / go to the shops. She's been chucking stuff over our fence the last two days for my kids to pick up - bubble blowing thingies, some paper flowers she'd made.

The mother runs a "sharing life" helping the old folk community in our village, and they organise cups of tea and chats with penshies, and she's been doing that this week too.

Anyway : the kid is going for a 'vid test today because they suspect she's got it. FML.

I almost suspect they are deliberately trying to infect us. This is most bizarre. Either that or they are totally FUCKING STUPID. I'm really pissed off with the stupid cunts TBH.

tldr; #DEADSOON

Suspect everyone is going to have a similar story or know somebody who has a similar story in the coming weeks.

Uncle TechTip

You don't just "go" for a 'rona test unless you are in hospital or super rich, surely? Is this what they told you?

hamfist

It is what they said, I guess because the dad is an NHS doc perhaps. They are a strange bunch of fruits.

massive bereavement

Is there anybody out there who doesn't think they've had it, or at immediate risk of catching it because their partner/child/next door neighbour has it?

I really hope it's not going to be a case of "When you catch it, you'll know about it, this is no walk in the park matey".

Hopefully we have all had it, millions of us, then the death ratio is next to nothing, but seeing the figures from Italy today, I just don't know what to think anymore. I'm starting to believe the virus has taken over the media, or that we're all under a mass hallucination like that episode of Red Dwarf and its' using our bodies to experience the pleasures of wanking by making us all stay at home.

peanutbutter

Got a friend with a very bad cold atm and the coworker that sat beside them up until a few days ago was just diagnosed. Apparently not bad enough to bother getting tested but more or less knocked out the last couple of days. I wouldn't bother going to get tested if I felt like I was powering through it too, mind.

Cerys

Only just read this thread.  Dammit, why can't it happen to people I don't like?  I will be having strong words with this thing if it doesn't start behaving itself.

Zetetic

Quote from: peanutbutter on March 24, 2020, 06:02:37 PM
Got a friend with a very bad cold atm and the coworker that sat beside them up until a few days ago was just diagnosed. Apparently not bad enough to bother getting tested but more or less knocked out the last couple of days. I wouldn't bother going to get tested if I felt like I was powering through it too, mind.
You mostly can't "get tested".

Some places are testing relevant NHS workers or members of their households (to get them back to work faster if its negative), but keeping slightly quiet about it. Still waiting on enough testing capacity, for the most part.

steveh

For those who had this earlier, how long was it between your breathing stopping worsening and being able to breathe normally again? Or hasn't that happened yet?

Thought I had escaped with comparatively mild symptoms but yesterday evening was frankly a bit scary in how breathless I was. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have worsened any more.

idunnosomename

Sin Agog

If wonder if your bad breathing hits the perfect sweet spot whether it'll be possible to engage in auto-erotic asphyxiation without the need for all that unseemly hanging business.

garbed_attic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 24, 2020, 02:50:39 PM
So a lot of CaB people/relatives have the following symptoms:

1. Chest tightness
2. Symptoms vacillating depending on time of day (worse in evenings)
3. Fatigue or malaise

Not so much

1. Persistent Cough
2. Fever

I reckon there is a secondary virus going around, as I mentioned - the Piggyback Virus

I think I've got the Piggyback Virus (or, rather, have had it for a week and a half). Someone's trying to kill us Cabbers off!

garbed_attic

Quote from: steveh on March 26, 2020, 09:35:57 AM
For those who had this earlier, how long was it between your breathing stopping worsening and being able to breathe normally again? Or hasn't that happened yet?

Thought I had escaped with comparatively mild symptoms but yesterday evening was frankly a bit scary in how breathless I was. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have worsened any more.

I've had flu-y symptoms the last week and a half (also including itchy eyes) but not much of a cough... but today I'm a bit scared of how breathless I'm feeling. So... at least we're not suffering alone I guess.

:/

Best of luck to you, man.

steveh

Reading reports online, for those people where it progresses to the lungs the majority seem to have one or two scary days of breathlessness before it stops worsening. Today feel normal apart from the reduced ability to breathe - hope you're past the worst too gout_pony. Too early tell anywhere what effect this has on the lungs long-term.

Going through this with milder symptoms and being completely invisible to the NHS does not seem right.

greencalx

Are you not even able to report these symptoms to your GP (even if they can't actually do anything about them)?

garbed_attic

Quote from: steveh on March 27, 2020, 10:27:00 AM
Reading reports online, for those people where it progresses to the lungs the majority seem to have one or two scary days of breathlessness before it stops worsening. Today feel normal apart from the reduced ability to breathe - hope you're past the worst too gout_pony. Too early tell anywhere what effect this has on the lungs long-term.

Going through this with milder symptoms and being completely invisible to the NHS does not seem right.

Thanks - that's reassuring - you too mate :)

Corona or not, I've definitely had symptoms that I wouldn't normally get from a cold or flu. My eyes have been stinging and aching, for instance. Also, while I have generally only felt a bit fatigued, a small amount of exercise or exertion can knock me flat. About a week ago I tried using some exercise equipment (no, not in a gym!) and after about a minute my legs were wobbling as though I was about to collapse!

Quote from: greencalx on March 27, 2020, 10:29:53 AM
Are you not even able to report these symptoms to your GP (even if they can't actually do anything about them)?

You don't even get a dedicated GP at my surgery... and they are very stingy about given out appointments at the best of times.

If you phone 111 the help line basically chastises you and warns you away from wasting their time if you only have mild symptoms. While very unpleasant at times, I've never felt like I was dying or needed to be in hospital, so I've been wary of progressing any further.

Inevitably my family are very sceptical that it's anything more than a cold or food poisoning or somesuch... but all I can say is that I have never felt like this before. That's not to say it's the worst pain or illness I've ever experienced, but it feels weird and alien.