Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:45:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pre-Dealing with Grief

Started by Puce Moment, March 18, 2020, 02:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

So, I have been pretty lucky on the death front with some exceptions. I would say that Marc was probably the hardest I have ever been hit by a death, if that puts things into context.

I had a chat with my Mum last night and she is pretty much resigned to this being the thing that finally kills her. Sounds dramatic and paranoid but it has some credibility. The virus has hit her county in Ireland really hard, she is 71, she has smoked at least 20 fags a day since she was 12, and she has persistant and constant chest infections that have seen her hospitalised multiple times in the last 24-months. She knows she will be passed over for treatment in favour of younger people.

I feel utterly powerless. I want to drive over and bring her back, but I just don't know if that is feasible.

Cerys

I could say that there are people with hideously unhealthy lungs who still survived the virus.  But I suspect a better thing to do is give you a massive hug and hope that you and your mum are as okay as you can be.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

It is so, so frightening that we are having threads ( and an entire sub- forum) like this . I can still scarcely believe this situation.

Glebe

Try and stay positive Pucey. People can only follow the guidelines and stay safe and act sensibly. Stay hopeful:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-latest-100-year-old-man-recovers-wuhan-hubei-china-a9389306.html

Puce Moment

Thanks folks - I guess I am steeling myself for what may come and I have said some of these things to her in the hope she will stay strong and optimistic. There IS a chance this won't affect her, but the projected stats for Ireland (and the UK) are starting to look quite scary.

Puce Moment

I should also add that my Mum isn't the slightest bit self-pitying or even particularly worried. She is joking about the whole thing, which kinda makes it all the more disturbing.

Blinder Data

Loved ones perishing due to COVID-19 is scary. Weirdly what perturbs me more is the idea of "direct funerals", live-streamed eulogies, etc. Not being able to mourn loved ones properly together in the same space is a headfuck.

Parents are in their mid 60s but I think should be OK (as long as one of them gets back from their antipodean holiday in time - she could easily end up stuck there).

My aunt is in her late 70s with COPD and mild dementia. She would be fucked. Likewise I hope her brother who is in his 70s, is vulnerable and has diabetes will self-isolate. Thankfully these people don't tend to leave the house much but there's not an awful lot of people close by to help out.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Is your mum anxious every winter when infections do the rounds? Did she get the flu jab on the reg, for example?

Puce Moment

She's never anxious about anything. She has a pretty constant chest infection - it certainly doesn't ever seem to go away. She gets the flu jab and takes a cocktail of meds, but she is amazed she is still alive at 71, something she jokes about a lot.