Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,475
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:56:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

MMORPGs

Started by Fry, March 18, 2020, 08:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

What's the MMORPG scene like nowadays? Being stuck in for a month, seems like a great way to stave off the cabin fever. Any interesting ones out?

BRen

Bit of a dry spell right now on that front, the current big ones are still World of Warcraft (and WoW Classic), Final Fantasy XIV, The Elder Scrolls Online and Black Desert Online (although that is massively pay to win and a waste of time/money).

Nothing has really come along in the last few years and took off, though you've got Amazon game studio's new MMORPG due out soon, New World. Though that was originally intended to be a full-loot open PVP game which they've now changed as people were complaining about the fact that they were being killed and all their gear taken by high level players (in the beta testing) and so they've changed that, defeating the purpose of the game. So that could end up being shite after being hyped for a while.

It's a bit of a stale sub-genre right now, with people mainly just sticking to the 'old reliables' mentioned above.

Bazooka

Yeah the golden age of the MMORPG is gone in its classic form, I intended to play ES online but never got around to it. I played Final Fantasy online in the early days, it's been upgraded a lot since, just remember the text being so small that even with my eagle eye sight I struggled.

Black Desert Online is one of the many Korean games out there, seems to be the biggest.  ARK survival is meant to be fun, it's on consoles too.

Neverwinter is free to play, seemed very user friendly when I played a little bit of it.

The main question is do you like patching?

Glebe

I was into DC Universe Online for a good while.

Fry

I'm a little disappointed I never got into WOW during its golden age. At the time, and in retrospect, it does seem like something never to be emulated again. I really wanted to at the time, but I was only about 13 when it came out. No way to pay the 15 quid a month or whatever. I never even bothered asking my mum to pay for a subscription to it, knew the answer would be no.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Fry on March 18, 2020, 10:56:27 AM
I'm a little disappointed I never got into WOW during its golden age. At the time, and in retrospect, it does seem like something never to be emulated again. I really wanted to at the time, but I was only about 13 when it came out. No way to pay the 15 quid a month or whatever. I never even bothered asking my mum to pay for a subscription to it, knew the answer would be no.

I know what you mean and I feel the same way about heroin - undoubtedly I would have lost years of my life to it if I ever tried it, but I bet you sometimes it felt really good.

Cuellar

There's a free version of Ultima Online available these days isn't there? Used to love that.

Barry Admin

I think Torn makes more sense as an MMORPG than as the "text based RPG" it's branded as.

I've become utterly hooked on it, and love it to bits.

Mobius

Anyone still play Dark Age Of Camelot

Cuellar

Quote from: Mobius on March 18, 2020, 06:32:44 PM
Anyone still play Dark Age Of Camelot

Ha that's still going?!

Mobius

Quote from: Cuellar on March 18, 2020, 08:40:30 PM
Ha that's still going?!

I haven't played in a decade but apparently so. It's free to play now and there's various emulator servers, 'classic servers' and that.

Used to love that game though was absolutely obsessed, lost most of my teenage years to it. Most addictive thing ever, and was my gateway to World of Warcraft.