Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,396
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:24:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Middle Class Panic Purchases

Started by Dr Trouser, March 18, 2020, 11:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Trouser

Our chest freezer was making odd noises this morning (groaning under the weight of Fray Bentos pies and Andrex rolls) so I thought I'd see how much a new one was, just in case.

AO, Currys and others are apparently sold out of chest freezers, which I guess explains why fresh food is also dissapearing from supermarkets.

And on a call just now with a very middle class colleague she told us that she had gone to John Lewis to get a running machine but they had sold out. She can't run outside because of virus obviously and there is no way she is going to David Lloyd in these dangerous times.

Makes you wander what else is being panic bought that wouldn't normally register in my world?

C_Larence

This would all be bad enough if it wasn't happening at the same time as Waitrose is dealing with a mass pesto recall. I spoke to someone on Waitrose's twitter account a week or two ago and they said there were no updates on whether their stock prior to the recall would be coming back, which seems absurd considering the issue was just that the labels didn't mention that their might be traces of peanut in the pesto. I'm sure it's not a priority right now, but I'm genuinely more worried than any reasonable person should be that I'll never get to taste Waitrose pesto again.

There's an article about it here. This has been going on since the end of last year!!!
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-12-22/full-list-of-sacla-waitrose-and-aldi-pesto-products-recalled-over-peanut-allergy-fears/

Blinder Data

Wife went out to get a breadmaker from John Lewis the other day in preparation for the shutdown but they've none left. Raging. How the FUCK am I meant to survive on flatbreads for the foreseeable?!

ZoyzaSorris

idunnosomename

aldi had sold out of maraka - the most reasonably priced NZ sauvignon blanc imo - so considering going again and buying TWO bottles

Endicott

Quote from: Dr Trouser on March 18, 2020, 11:52:54 AM
And on a call just now with a very middle class colleague she told us that she had gone to John Lewis to get a running machine but they had sold out. She can't run outside because of virus obviously and there is no way she is going to David Lloyd in these dangerous times.

Is that just her saying that?, because I don't think you can catch it from running in fresh air.

justin_bennett

Quote from: Endicott on March 18, 2020, 01:25:22 PM
Is that just her saying that?, because I don't think you can catch it from running in fresh air.

Oh well, I'm fucked then.  On a daily 5k morning run while I'm off work.

Inspector Norse

Yeah, isn't one of the few reasons you are allowed to get out so that you can get some proper exercise and don't just die from sitting on the sofa eating all the frozen pizzas, boxes of pasta and toilet roll tubes you've stockpiled?

Then again maybe the thought behind mass-buying beans is that you'll get everything out the other end quickly.

hamfist

You totally can and should go out for exercise. Just keep away from others. It's good for mental health, good to keep the cardiovascular system strong and ready for the fight, and it helps the immune system.

Plus, I like walking up the street red faced and sweaty and short of breath, and watching the horror in the eyes of those approaching along the pathway. I do move into the road to pass others when running too so I will probably die of getting run over rather than ma-ma-ma-myyyyyy corona.

Sherringford Hovis

Had to hoard Ortiz anchoas en aceite de oliva like some sort of prole instead of Scalia acciughe salate.

Days gone.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: Endicott on March 18, 2020, 01:25:22 PM

yeah sorry I was being sarcastic, that was her thought process as she didn't want to ingest any virus hanging around in the air. She's the sort that you can't reason with when they have  a thought in their head so best to leave her thinking this.

running outside is the only release valve i have

alan nagsworth

Got a 4K Ultra HD telly coming next monday. I've been watching everything on my laptop for the last god knows how many years and since my partner and I are going to be spending a lot of time indoors of an evening we just thought fuck it, get a nice big telly for the occasion.

purlieu

Just about to order a telly myself, as I have a Mac and Apple don't want you watching BluRays on their computers when you could be buying HD video from the iTunes Store.

Morrisons today was out of stock of tonic water, all varieties. Obviously a lot of people sat around sipping G&Ts.

C_Larence

Quote from: Jasha on March 18, 2020, 04:53:36 PM
Does that mean the Aldi slop comes from the same windowless slop factory as the Waitrose variety?

The person who runs the Waitrose twitter account didn't answer that one.

It's possible, but I'd need to try Aldi's to confirm. Tesco used to do a good red pesto, but changed the recipe many years ago and now Waitrose is the only one I trust. Although a few years back there was a  batch that tasted more metallic than usual. I never worked out why and almost as quickly as they appeared, they were gone. Since the recall, I've tried a lot of other shop's pestos, and they are severely lacking. The ratio of ingredients is always off, you can tell from the first sniff! Interestingly enough, Asda's has proven the best alternative, it has the most similar flavour to Waitrose's, but is much too oily.

thenoise

I've wondered about buying a few mags from the corner shop in case the internet goes down.

Dewt

I think the Peloton might actually save me

idunnosomename

fucking no Maraka at the other Aldi either. oh no!!!!!

Sebastian Cobb

I pulled the trigger on a steam mop so I can make it easier to clean my gaff when i'm supposed to be working.

Tempted to buy a Switch with all the pub money I'll have burning a hole in me pocket.

shiftwork2

Quote from: purlieu on March 18, 2020, 05:10:44 PM
Morrisons today was out of stock of tonic water, all varieties. Obviously a lot of people sat around sipping G&Ts.

Noticed the tonic water shortage.  It had a 'think before you buy' A4 patronisation print-out sellotaped above it.  It's the bommers

imitationleather

Yes I was on the phone to my mum just now and she was on about stockpiling wine from Waitrose like it's Christmas. Yeah alright mum I'll ring back in six months and see if you made it.

Bah. We're all having to isolate and worry so these people can have the time of their lives! -_-

flotemysost

I bought a 37-key Yamaha keyboard on Sunday. A completely indulgent purchase, especially as I'm definitely still going to be as shit at playing as I ever was, but just knowing that I've got the option of plugging in my headphones and tinkling around is making me feel better, weirdly.

In an even more middle-class twist, I'd planned to pick up the batteries for it when I went to the late-opening Tesco Local that evening, but obviously totally forgot until the instant I'd paid for my veg and was about to leave the shop. Normally I would have done a U-turn and gone back, but I just couldn't quite bring myself to be a solo female shopper 'suddenly remembering' that I need a pack of AA batteries just ahead of a likely period of self-isolation. (Found some at home later anyway, so God willing I'll jam and wank like a champ.)

Blue Jam

Quote from: flotemysost on March 18, 2020, 10:06:38 PMI just couldn't quite bring myself to be a solo female shopper 'suddenly remembering' that I need a pack of AA batteries just ahead of a likely period of self-isolation. (Found some at home later anyway, so God willing I'll jam and wank like a champ.)

Hahahaha... I wonder if there'll be a baby boom nine months from now, what with people panic-buying tellies and rubber johnnies.

People panic-buying bread makers is the one I find baffling. Can't these dumb fuckers figure out how to use an oven?

Sebastian Cobb

Too lazy to mix and knead I reckon.

Blue Jam

Well, it's not like they won't have the free time now.

Brian Freeze

Not much in the way of raw flour as a basic ingredient round our way though. Not sure about the packet mixes.

Blue Jam

As I'm sure you know you don't need a breadmaker for packet mixes, an oven will still do. Saw some in stock at Saino's yesterday but couldn't buy them on principle.