Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:54:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Middle Class Panic Purchases

Started by Dr Trouser, March 18, 2020, 11:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: C_Larence on March 18, 2020, 05:10:51 PMshop's pestos

What parvenu stoops to pesto in a jar? Tub pesto from an independent owner-operated deli in an emergency maybe, if lowering your gastronomic horizon to that of your uninvited picnic guests' expectations unfortunately coincides with a basil shortage in your own greenhouse perhaps.

idunnosomename

that pesto in a jar is shit and goes moldy super quick agreed. zizz some basil and pine nuts with olive oil pukka pukka oi oi fuck off BREAK DOWN

PESTO PESTO PESTO

P E S T O

P E S T O

P E S

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

phes

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 18, 2020, 10:34:53 PM
Hahahaha... I wonder if there'll be a baby boom nine months from now, what with people panic-buying tellies and rubber johnnies.

People panic-buying bread makers is the one I find baffling. Can't these dumb fuckers figure out how to use an oven?

Is this why I couldn't find bread flour or yeast? Motherfuckers. Expected the plain and self raising to go because we're a nation of cake addicts but thought I'd have a few more days grace to buy a couple of bags of flour. After searching the town I eventually found flour in the zero waste shop, along with pretty much every foodstuff that's been cleared from supermarket shelves. Us hippy wankers having the last laugh if indeed there is a laugh to be had eating bread fresh from the machine while octagenarians are beaten to death in Asda over the last pack of wholemeal pitta bread

imitationleather

There's 3.5g of ketamine around here that I panic bought but my girlfriend has hidden it and won't spill the beans. >:(

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 18, 2020, 11:16:55 PM
As I'm sure you know you don't need a breadmaker for packet mixes, an oven will still do.

Ha, bloody hell, I didn't realise, maybe I should have thought about it for a nanosecond.

Spelt and buckwheat flour were in stock as of yesterday.

chveik

pigamus

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 19, 2020, 12:37:18 AM
Ha, bloody hell, I didn't realise, maybe I should have thought about it for a nanosecond.

Spelt and buckwheat flour were in stock as of yesterday.

You went all the way to Hastings?

In Kent?

Twit 2

MAKE YOUR OWN FUCKING PESTO

Equal amounts of pine nuts, olive oil and Parmesan. (E.g 50g/50ml/50g) At least one clove of garlic. Toast the pine nuts in a pan first. I also add some chilli (half a fresh jalapeno) for heat and some broccoli (a few florets) for texture. Fresh basil leaves (fistful). Plenty of seasoning. Blitz it, adding more oil gradually until the right consistency, not too fine, you want a bit of texture. There, that wasn't hard was it? It will also taste 3,000 times better than any jar.

MAKE YOUR OWN FUCKING PESTO

Sorry, can't sleep.

imitationleather

Nice to see Jordan Peterson posting on the forumumums!

Brian Freeze

Quote from: pigamus on March 19, 2020, 01:08:48 AM
You went all the way to Hastings?

In Kent?

Apologjes Pigamus, thats gone right over my head?

Sheffield Wednesday

I bought a recumbent exercise bike so I can sit back and get my arse in gear while I play some diabolical prrvy visual novel.

thenoise

It can be rather painful and uncomfortable to knead bread with raw, bleeding, overwashed hands.

pigamus

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 19, 2020, 02:19:53 AM
Apologjes Pigamus, thats gone right over my head?

Sorry, it's from Peep Show.

Attila

I splurged ona pair of suede 1960s boots off Etsy the other day, after about 10 hours online dealing with colleagues and students freaking out over our sudden ALL TEACHING MUST BE ONLINE....NOW.

Usually I have a closet clearout around the winter break and in the early summer and put stuff up on eBay; I've got about 20 auctions running now on the off chance that people will be in the mood to shop online and buy my second hand clothes...

I've got my eye on a WWII era woman's military-style cropped wool jacket. I can wear it inside the bunker I shall build out of toilet roll, boxes of cat food, and dried pasta.

imitationleather

That guy on here who started wearing only boilersuits was ahead of the curve, it turns out.

Blue Jam

I make my own pesto from pine nuts, paemesan, olive oil, basil, parsley and lemon juice. Pestle and mortar is the way to go.

And why does shop-bought pesto leave such a weird aftertaste? And why does it go mouldy so quickly? And why is the mould always pink?

Buelligan

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on March 19, 2020, 12:04:30 AM
What parvenu stoops to pesto in a jar? Tub pesto from an independent owner-operated deli in an emergency maybe, if lowering your gastronomic horizon to that of your uninvited picnic guests' expectations unfortunately coincides with a basil shortage in your own greenhouse perhaps.

This made me laugh.  Thank you.

flotemysost

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 19, 2020, 04:47:04 PM
I make my own pesto from pine nuts, paemesan, olive oil, basil, parsley and lemon juice. Pestle and mortar is the way to go.

And why does shop-bought pesto leave such a weird aftertaste? And why does it go mouldy so quickly? And why is the mould always pink?

Shop-bought pesto is normally sunflower oil-based, I think, rather than olive oil - could that be it? (I'm saying this as if I've ever actually made my own - even hovering near the pine nuts at the supermarket for more than a moment or two before going 'nah' feels like an achievement.)

Had a work conference call today and we were discussing how the various UK supermarkets are reacting to the situation and handling stock etc. (in relation to my industry), and the head of department breezily chipped in with 'Yeah, it was really empty when I popped out to my local Waitrose at lunch...' I could almost hear everyone else thinking OF COURSE YOU BLOODY SHOP AT WAITROSE, DON'T YOU.

peanutbutter

Already happened:
- 4K monitor because 2K simply isn't enough when you're working from home for more than a few days
- Loads of drugs

Still to happen:
- An exercise bike
- Some totally inappropriate speakers (unless someone talks sense into me over here https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,78764.0.html )
- Some games console, it's gonna happen, seems inevitable

C_Larence

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on March 19, 2020, 12:04:30 AM

I've never found any red pesto similar to the stuff you get in a jar (from waitrose). I also get through it quickly enough that I've never encountered any mould. If they ever bring it back, and we get through this whole thing, I implore you to try it.

Attila

I've got my eye on a mid 1980s-era military style cropped jacket -- working from the house, a ton of marking, taking breaks by browsing on Etsy...it's either that flick through vintage clothing listings or snack after every 3 or 4 essays.

buzby

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 19, 2020, 04:47:04 PM
The mould is presumably due to the cheese that's in it being exposed to the air once the jar has been opened. I usually pour a bit of olive oil into the jar, just enough to cover the surface, which stops it going mouldy.

Buelligan

I never keep anything like that.  If I use it, I use it all, turning the left over portions either into fried crispy pasta (fried without stirring, just turning once, in a little olive oil until it's browned and crispy) or pasta frittata or bake it, sprinkled with parmesan, spread thinly on a tray in a hot oven, until it's crisp on top.  All good with a nice salad.

Norton Canes

Down to my last half-inch of Aeropress filters

Norton Canes

Though to be honest at this rate I'll probably run out at abut the same time the world is no longer able to produce coffee

phes

Maybe you can make a ventilator from it

Sebastian Cobb

Have horrible logitech keyboard with low-profile 'cheap laptop' style keys.

Going to be working from home a lot, so bought a compact mechanical keyboard with gateron brown keys (so hopefully it won't be too noisy if I bring it in to work).

Not only that it's about as aesthetically pleasing as a keyboard can be. I mean it looks like an Oric Atmos!

Blue Jam

Just panic-bought a starter kit from my local homebrew place and am going to brew some St. Peter's Honey Porter with it. Shelves were emptying and the man in the shop said they were even busier than they had been at Christmas.

Priorities.

Twit 2

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 19, 2020, 04:47:04 PMPestle and mortar is the way to go.

Really isn't: this is just something people say because they imagine it makes things more rustic and authentic. The pesto doesn't know you used a hand blender, like the fire doesn't know it's been started with a lighter. Save your muscles and give it a shorter blitz on the lowest setting; that'll provide all the authentic texture you need. See also: Thai pastes. (But, Twit, in Thailand the elderly in the village use their own dented foreheads to bash their lemongrass! Yes, because they're poor. They'd fucking love a hand blender. You might as well blow on cold water for a cup of tea instead of turning on the kettle. I MEAN, WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE?)