Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hello, I wish to play an AAA game

Started by Noonling, March 18, 2020, 05:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noonling

Good afternoon CaB members,

I see PS4 has some discounts on, so I wouldn't even need to leave the house to buy a game. So I wish to buy some AAA game. Something shiny and...AAA-ish.

I've already played the Dark Souls trilogy and own Bloodbourne, I've played Death Stranding, No Man's Sky, Monster Hunter World, Witcher 3, Red Dead 2 and the last Assassins Creed game I played was...Rogue I think?  I want a PS4 game, I don't want a game that's overly shooty, and I don't want anything multiplayer. That's about it.

There's too much to choose from though, and it feels so much harder to judge what I'd like when looking at AAA games.  A colleague really likes the Uncharted series. Lots of people say good things about The Last of Us, but I haven't seen anything that wows me. No one ever seems to mention Watchdogs, but I like hacking things.  I've heard God of War is good? I'd be up for buying XCOM 2, although I never finished XCOM 1 (of the new lot - that might just be because I no longer own it though).

Should I just go for an Assassins Creed? I like the Ancient Greeks, and I also like Ancient Egyptians.

Kind regards,

Noonling

P.S. I don't really understand what AAA means.

C_Larence

Nier Automata if you've not already. Game of the generation.

Bazooka

I got an email from Ubisoft and Assassins Creed Odyssey is free from the 19th to 22nd on all platforms, if your good you can complete it in those few days.

madhair60

Quote from: C_Larence on March 18, 2020, 05:43:25 PM
Nier Automata if you've not already. Game of the generation.

Not AAA tho'

I recommend Spider-Man that's the only AAA game I've played this gen that was fun in every respect.

C_Larence

Quote from: madhair60 on March 18, 2020, 06:29:28 PM
Not AAA tho'

I recommend Spider-Man that's the only AAA game I've played this gen that was fun in every respect.

Being developed by Platinum and published by Square Enix isn't enough to make it AAA?

Pink Gregory

I heard people praise Horizon Zero Dawn but haven't touched it myself.  Very much in the Ubisoft "stuff to do on a map" genre but apparently better.

madhair60

Quote from: C_Larence on March 18, 2020, 07:19:52 PM
Being developed by Platinum and published by Square Enix isn't enough to make it AAA?

I've never considered Platinum a AAA dev, but it's all pretty nebulous I guess. It's not about game quality, more of a budget thing I think?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'll second nominations for Spider-Man and Horizon: Zero Dawn. They are fairly similar open world type games, so flip a coin to decide.

Sheffield Wednesday

AC Odyssey is excellent. The best Ubisoft-style game ever made, for me. It's almost all filler, but the filler is killer and it's beautiful and detailed and fun.

Horizon Zero Dawn is fundamentally excellent, with some padding which you just largely skip. Great main quest, astounding production values, even now. HDR is the best example I've seen in a fantastical setting.

God of War is shit.

Spider-Man looks amazing, traversal is exquisite but the actual combat is average and I have no interest in superhero stuff so story means nothing.

You could cunt it all off and get the Battle Garegga M2 ShotTriggers release and grow as a person.

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 18, 2020, 08:42:44 PM
I'll second nominations for Spider-Man and Horizon: Zero Dawn. They are fairly similar open world type games, so flip a coin to decide.

Horizon is boring as fuck and Spidey is fucking fun

Mobius

Assassins Creed Odyssey is epic and beautiful looking. It's fucking MASSIVE.

It's also Free To Play all weekend

bgmnts

I'd say Witcher 3 is the only AAA worth anything.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Play The Last Of Us. I know you've said that you've seen gameplay of it and nothing wowed you, but that's not you talking, that's your arsehole.

Sheffield Wednesday

Noonling

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on March 18, 2020, 08:46:37 PM
AC Odyssey is excellent. The best Ubisoft-style game ever made, for me. It's almost all filler, but the filler is killer and it's beautiful and detailed and fun.

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards right now. Lovely bit of filler.

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on March 18, 2020, 09:11:24 PM
BATTLE GAREGGA YOU FUCKING FOOL

I never knew there were so many bullet hell games until I saw your 402 threads about them (or there abouts). I'm glad you enjoy the genre, but I can't really see what makes one bullet hell different from another.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on March 18, 2020, 09:09:02 PM
Play The Last Of Us. I know you've said that you've seen gameplay of it and nothing wowed you, but that's not you talking, that's your arsehole.

I mostly see people praising the story and I've never played an AAA game with a story that has genuinely wowed me so I'm not sure I trust these people.

Ferris

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Mobius

Sad I've absolutely rinsed the fuck out of Skyrim. The idea of replaying it oft' pops up but within 10 minutes of making a new character I just can't do it, it's all too familiar.

Wish they'd release Fallout:New Vegas on the PS4. Fallout 4 isn't very good.

Persona 5: Royal is looking tempting as a timesink..

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Noonling on March 18, 2020, 09:43:34 PMI mostly see people praising the story and I've never played an AAA game with a story that has genuinely wowed me so I'm not sure I trust these people.
The story is fine, well acted out by the two protagonists, my main issue with it was that you have zero agency beyond braining zombie mushroom monsters, your impact on their relationship is zero beyond doing what is needed to get to the next cutscene. The storyline is completely linear, which just bores me these days.

There's a game called Stellaris that looks interesting enough on PSN... anybody got any experience of it on a console?

Osmium

Yakuza Remastered Collection. Not AAA but it is around 300 hours of gallivanting around Japan kicking fuck out of cunts.

beanheadmcginty

Lego City Undercover. It's like GTA but you can't lose and it is genuinely funny.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is technically an indie game, but it's very much AAA in production values. Also it's dead cheap.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

How about an obscure Japanese bullet hell shoot em up with a virtually unpronounceable twenty syllable title?

Schmo Diddley

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 18, 2020, 10:55:27 PM
The story is fine, well acted out by the two protagonists, my main issue with it was that you have zero agency beyond braining zombie mushroom monsters, your impact on their relationship is zero beyond doing what is needed to get to the next cutscene. The storyline is completely linear, which just bores me these days.

There's a game called Stellaris that looks interesting enough on PSN... anybody got any experience of it on a console?

I've sunk quite a few hours into it on Mac, not sure how it would translate into console. There's a fantastic Star Trek mod called New Horizons which is quite possibly the best Star Trek game ever - it's just hamstrung by being painfully slow and the mechanics for declaring war are just generally pretty shit.

Bazooka

Quote from: Mobius on March 18, 2020, 10:19:42 PM
Sad I've absolutely rinsed the fuck out of Skyrim. The idea of replaying it oft' pops up but within 10 minutes of making a new character I just can't do it, it's all too familiar.

Wish they'd release Fallout:New Vegas on the PS4. Fallout 4 isn't very good.

Persona 5: Royal is looking tempting as a timesink..

New Vegas is on PS now, I genuinely like Fallout 4 and everyone knows it's not a bad game, everyone is just comparing it to new Vegas to come up with that opinion.

Uncharted 4, polished as fuck and it doesn't last for hundreds of hours. It's just a good game. 8/10. Must be like £5 now as well.