Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hello, I wish to play an AAA game

Started by Noonling, March 18, 2020, 05:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

Mister Six

Prey remains the best game I've played in the past 10 years. Very pretty, but I don't know what your standards are for AAA. It's an FPS technically, but head-on confrontation is discouraged and sneaking about or using the environment/turrets to deal with baddies is recommended.

The DLC is ace too, though a bit more combat-centric.

Christ, I want to play it again now. SO FUCKING GOOD.

Mister Six

Quote from: Bazooka on March 19, 2020, 04:05:14 PM
New Vegas is on PS now, I genuinely like Fallout 4 and everyone knows it's not a bad game, everyone is just comparing it to new Vegas to come up with that opinion.

It's not a bad game, but it's very repetitive and bland, and judging it against its immediate predecessor in a franchise is fair enough.

Mobius

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Mister Six on March 19, 2020, 07:01:31 PM
Prey remains the best game I've played in the past 10 years. Very pretty, but I don't know what your standards are for AAA. It's an FPS technically, but head-on confrontation is discouraged and sneaking about or using the environment/turrets to deal with baddies is recommended.

The DLC is ace too, though a bit more combat-centric.

Christ, I want to play it again now. SO FUCKING GOOD.

Yep, it kind of passed me by at the time, but a play through last year was very much enjoyed.

Loads of depth and replay value. Great art design and setting. A few annoying enemies, but overall a banger.

Sheffield Wednesday

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on March 19, 2020, 03:54:20 PM
How about an obscure Japanese bullet hell shoot em up with a virtually unpronounceable twenty syllable title?

One day, when Cave bring their stuff to Switch, you'll play one of these games and you will grow another cock in twenty minutes. Honestly. There's nothing like the feeling of Cave games.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Schmo Diddley on March 19, 2020, 04:00:13 PM
I've sunk quite a few hours into it on Mac, not sure how it would translate into console. There's a fantastic Star Trek mod called New Horizons which is quite possibly the best Star Trek game ever - it's just hamstrung by being painfully slow and the mechanics for declaring war are just generally pretty shit.
Painfully slow isn't such a bad thing for me. I'm the kind of guy who would spent 30 minutes agonising over a single move in XCOM2, lest a treasured soldier cop for it as a result of misjudgement. But I am wary a game that works well on a desktop PC/Mac may be a load of wank on console. Seemed worth a gamble for £20, though.

Mobius

Quote from: Bazooka on March 19, 2020, 07:13:02 PM
Nah streaming ps now unfortunately.

Ah the ps3 version :( that was pretty shoddy... I've never used ps now, how reliable is it? I could put up with ps3 new Vegas bugs but not additional lag and shit

Mister Six

Oh yeah, as others have said, Spider-Man for PS4 is fantastic. I wouldn't recommend the DLC though - it's more of the same, minus the depth (or at least breadth) of plot and sense of progression that you get from the main game.

Bazooka

Quote from: Mobius on March 19, 2020, 08:13:17 PM
Ah the ps3 version :( that was pretty shoddy... I've never used ps now, how reliable is it? I could put up with ps3 new Vegas bugs but not additional lag and shit

Occasionally drops connection, but very rarely (just save like you would normally), it's well worth the money. You can get a free trial or do a connection test on there, but most peoples broadband should support it these days.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on March 19, 2020, 08:00:59 PM
One day, when Cave bring their stuff to Switch, you'll play one of these games and you will grow another cock in twenty minutes. Honestly. There's nothing like the feeling of Cave games.

Two cocks you say? By Jove, I could wank them both at the same time!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Mister Six on March 19, 2020, 07:01:31 PM
If that's still too shooty, Dishonored 2 is ace, with some of the most intriguing level design I've ever experienced.

Ferris

Quote from: Bazooka on March 19, 2020, 09:30:09 PM
Occasionally drops connection, but very rarely (just save like you would normally), it's well worth the money. You can get a free trial or do a connection test on there, but most peoples broadband should support it these days.

...what is it? Is it like a streaming sort of thing for games?

Schmo Diddley

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 19, 2020, 08:05:32 PM
Painfully slow isn't such a bad thing for me. I'm the kind of guy who would spent 30 minutes agonising over a single move in XCOM2, lest a treasured soldier cop for it as a result of misjudgement. But I am wary a game that works well on a desktop PC/Mac may be a load of wank on console. Seemed worth a gamble for £20, though.

I love strategy games and don't mind sinking into them. XCom2 is absolutely fantastic and I've actually rebooted up War Of The Chosen because it was referenced on this thread.

The New Horizons mod is glacially slow though. As in nothing might happen for five minutes at a time, takes an hour for a population to grown on your planet. The work that's gone into it is astonishing though, so much lore and lots of stories that occur as you play.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Schmo Diddley on March 19, 2020, 09:44:26 PM
I love strategy games and don't mind sinking into them. XCom2 is absolutely fantastic and I've actually rebooted up War Of The Chosen because it was referenced on this thread.

The New Horizons mod is glacially slow though. As in nothing might happen for five minutes at a time, takes an hour for a population to grown on your planet. The work that's gone into it is astonishing though, so much lore and lots of stories that occur as you play.
I recently played War of the Chosen for the third time. Still fantastic, it has all the things I want from a modern video game: a sense that I can make the game my own experience, able to connect with characters involved and the feeling my decisions actually matter - even if they don't, I know everyone ends up at the same winning point, but little things like deciding whether to take a shot or not and whether they ends up in a successful mission or not. Fantastic. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone, and don't half pine for a sequel.

Mobius

I picked up XCOM2 on the PS4 and loved it, but it was very laggy and slow. The WOTC expansion was disgustingly unplayable, like how are they even allowed to release such a bad port... which was a huge shame cus the game was so fun.

So I reckon I'll just buy them again on my PC since it'll work better there and I imagine there's some DLC and more customisation stuff.

Kryton

Quote from: Schmo Diddley on March 19, 2020, 09:44:26 PM

Stellaris will work ok on a semi-decent rig. If you like pausing before decisions prepare to handle colonies, sectors, fleets, politics, ethics, production, resources and shit loads more.
Crusader Kings 2. With the above but plotting and bastadry.

Neither of those two are AAA though.

Bazooka

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 19, 2020, 09:43:57 PM
...what is it? Is it like a streaming sort of thing for games?

Yeah play PS4,PS3 and a small collection of PS2 games via streaming, no downloads required, but you can download some games in case you can't stream for some mad reason, but you only have access as long as you pay for the service.

It's not every system game, but there is way more than enough, including games that have only been out a couple of months.