Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:59:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Culture consumed in quarantine

Started by Thomas, March 18, 2020, 07:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 27, 2020, 09:52:55 AM
Indeed. Who can I sue?

I think Mesa Verde can be held liable somehow...

Thomas

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 26, 2020, 11:22:40 PM
Decided to finally force myself into watching Twin Peaks: The Return after being really underwhelmed by the first episode a few months ago. Enjoying it a surprising amount now which I'm very glad about.

My girlfriend fell asleep for the final episode when it was initially on. Can't wait to revisit. Hoo boy.

I've been watching Russell T Davies' Bob & Rose (2001). I would have openly wept at Penelope Wilton's speech in ep 4 if my housemate hadn't been in the room, I've never seen Jonathan Creek, so I haven't witnessed his performance there, but I'm surprised at how good Alan Davies is. He's great in this. I only knew him as an inanimate shape gathering dust on QI.

Norton Canes

Oh Jesus, no

Let's implement strict quarantine to stop the spread of this thing

Blue Jam

Struggling to find trashy documentaries now. Just resorted to Born Famous on All4, and the episode with Gordon Ramsay and his son Jack. Gordo is the king of crap telly, this'll do.

buttgammon

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 27, 2020, 10:12:39 AM
Oh Jesus, no

Let's implement strict quarantine to stop the spread of this thing

He's now just one step away from being the man on 15 Storeys High who does trucker poems.

Blue Jam

Was watching that Gilded Balloon live thing on YouTube and it was a bit meh so I decided to watch some stand up on Netflix.

Damn, how the fuck was Bo Burnham that good at 22? The utter utter bastard.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 26, 2020, 08:44:49 PM
"Spirited Away" last night. Cried at that beautifully hushed train scene with Sen and No Face gradually ending up the only ones left on the train as night descends. Something so bloody moving about that whole bit (not because of the virus, I'm not THAT soft), fucking magical.

I bought Spirited Away on DVD for my 5 year old daughter in the mid 00's as a break from Disney princesses and she loved it - she's 20 now and last week we had a conversation about hentai.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 27, 2020, 10:34:34 PM
I bought Spirited Away on DVD for my 5 year old daughter in the mid 00's as a break from Disney princesses and she loved it - she's 20 now and last week we had a conversation about hentai.
why do they put black bars over all the fannies

peanutbutter

Watching Seimfeld for the first time in at least a decade, didn't think the dialogue was as curb-y last time I watched it. Unsure if Curb became more Seinfeld-y or I just never noticed the level of similarity.

Anyways I'm into season 2 and its already very good.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 27, 2020, 10:34:34 PM

What kind of stuff is she in to?

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 28, 2020, 08:53:51 AM
What kind of stuff is she in to?

She's not into anime as such, but she really enjoyed Spirited Away & Howl's Moving Castle as a child, they are still both favourite movies from that age and have left her with an interest in Japanese culture to this day. I'd highly recommend then to anyone with children.

I was having a conversation with her and her boyfriend who was a massive Dragon Ball Z fan growing up about the popularity of comic books stores in The Netherlands/Belgium & France (he's Dutch/French) and that led on to talking about hentai.

Captain Crunch

Sonic Youth are putting a load of concerts up on bandcamp, the Berlin one is especially top:

https://sonicyouth.bandcamp.com/

Head Gardener

alan nagsworth

Nausicaä and the Valley of the Wind last night. Fuck me that film's boring. This was clearly Ghibli finding their feet and historically just comes across as a bit naff and overly long, especially compared to Castle in the Sky, which came out two years later, admittedly with a similar runtime but far more gripping and fantastical.

Also the flimsy argument from fans that she's wearing "flesh coloured tights" when she is clearly an exhibitionist and roughly 80% of the film is up-close-and-personal bug's-eye views of her anus is more than a little strange and quite distracting from the total slog of environmental guff laced with occasionally nice scenery we're bombarded with elsewhere.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 30, 2020, 10:22:19 AM
Nausicaä and the Valley of the Wind last night. Fuck me that film's boring. This was clearly Ghibli finding their feet and historically just comes across as a bit naff and overly long, especially compared to Castle in the Sky, which came out two years later, admittedly with a similar runtime but far more gripping and fantastical.

Also the flimsy argument from fans that she's wearing "flesh coloured tights" when she is clearly an exhibitionist and roughly 80% of the film is up-close-and-personal bug's-eye views of her anus is more than a little strange and quite distracting from the total slog of environmental guff laced with occasionally nice scenery we're bombarded with elsewhere.

This is a rare occasion where I disagree with you Nags and want to set you on fire, I'm very fond of Nausicaä, it's not the best Ghibli have ever produced but I still found it extremely enjoyable.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 30, 2020, 10:40:44 AM
This is a rare occasion where I disagree with you Nags and want to set you on fire, I'm very fond of Nausicaä, it's not the best Ghibli have ever produced but I still found it extremely enjoyable.

Maybe I wasn't quite in the mood for it, but this is my second time watching it and I seem to recall I felt the same way the first time around.

There's something about it that I find disengaging, and if I'm honest I think it's the overall aesthetic that has a sort of melancholic vintage Sunday afternoon vibe going on which seems to invite me to fall asleep while it's playing. The soundtrack and the definitively old-school anime sound effects and animation style really play into that feeling. Also, crucially, the film is almost entirely bereft of any sense of humour or even playful charm that bolsters so much of the studio's other work. The whole thing is so bloody serious. Even in other titles like Princess Mononoke or (gulp) Grave of the Fireflies which also carry a much heavier message, there are elements of magic, raw beauty or childlike wonder that give them a captivating buoyancy. Nausicaä lacks that, for me.

Thomas

My latest culture dose has been the documentary series Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness. Incredible. Almost feels like a mockumentary set in the Coen brothers universe. Seven episodes, a lithe 45 minutes each. There's a thread. It's no spoiler to say that the focal figure of the series, big cat breeder and insanest man ever Joe Exotic, is currently self-isolating.

Dex Sawash

Going to be pretty angry if I watch and there isn't any cartoon anus in that film

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 30, 2020, 11:29:06 AM
Going to be pretty angry if I watch and there isn't any cartoon anus in that film

Mate there's so much grubby balloon knot on display you'll be howlin like a fuckin wild ape at the end of it. It is basically two hours upskirt perspective of her slatternly towel holder as she whizzes about on some flying bollocks contraption cooing at massive fuck off insects. Bizarre.

buttgammon

Rewatching Seinfeld and The Simpsons now. Must admit, I don't care about being stuck in when I have my two favourite TV programmes of all time to watch for the millionth time.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Thomas on March 30, 2020, 11:25:25 AM
My latest culture dose has been the documentary series Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness. Incredible. Almost feels like a mockumentary set in the Coen brothers universe. Seven episodes, a lithe 45 minutes each. There's a thread. It's no spoiler to say that the focal figure of the series, big cat breeder and insanest man ever Joe Exotic, is currently self-isolating.

I was wondering why Netflix was plugging that so heavily and why it's been #1 in the UK, might have to give it a go, cheers.

Captain Crunch

I rewatched Seinfeld properly after reading the excellent Seinfeldia late last year.  I'm picking over some of the Inside Looks and deleted scenes, would recommend these as there's some gold in there.  Gold! 

Blue Jam

Games consumed in quarantine:

Portal 2: Loved it. Even better than the original. I'd forgotten what a fantastic villain GLaDOS is. Hell, I even enjoyed Stephen Merchant's voice acting in this.

>OBSERVER_: No, not a newspaper office sim where you play as Mariella Frostrup and the final boss is Jay Rayner, you play as a cyberpunk detective trying to solve a murder on the wrong side of town as you search for clues in a run-down apartment block full of cyber-augmented lowlifes. You also have to keep taking a drug to stop yourself going crazy and seeing glitches in your vision and other scary stuff. This had so much potential as an open-world puzzle game/horror-survival game but ultimately it's a linear walking sim. There's a bit of a SOMA feel to it, but it's nowhere near as good. I guess getting Rutger Hauer to voice the player character was a bit of a coup, and to be fair he does lend it a nice Blade Runner feel, but all this is at the expense of a good gameplay mechanic. Not a bad game, but not for me. Only cost me about £2 of Xbox credit though so meh, it was still an interesting concept and experience.

Next up: got Thief in the Squeenix sale and also got 7th Sector, which seems a bit pricy for a short indie game but I thought it looked promising, and what else am I gonna do...

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 30, 2020, 12:38:00 PM
I was wondering why Netflix was plugging that so heavily and why it's been #1 in the UK, might have to give it a go, cheers.

Try not to read anything about it before you watch, it's better that way.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on March 30, 2020, 12:54:25 PM
Good god Thief?

Abominable game.

Hahahaha... Was only about two quid as well and I always liked the look of it, and I like a bit of stealth, I shall give it a go and let you laugh at my foolishness later.

The Culture Bunker

Game that filled up time for me over the weekend was "Beat Cop" - fairly basic, but fun. Reminded me a little of the first Police Quest game, with more swearing and less having to do everything by the book.

Thomas

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 30, 2020, 12:38:00 PM

I only heard of it in an episode of Athletico Mince, but if there is a hype, the series lives up to it. It's packed full. As Better Midlands (great username) advises, no Googling. Just dive in.

Head Gardener

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 30, 2020, 11:01:08 AM
Maybe I wasn't quite in the mood for it, but this is my second time watching it and I seem to recall I felt the same way the first time around.

There's something about it that I find disengaging, and if I'm honest I think it's the overall aesthetic that has a sort of melancholic vintage Sunday afternoon vibe going on which seems to invite me to fall asleep while it's playing. The soundtrack and the definitively old-school anime sound effects and animation style really play into that feeling. Also, crucially, the film is almost entirely bereft of any sense of humour or even playful charm that bolsters so much of the studio's other work. The whole thing is so bloody serious. Even in other titles like Princess Mononoke or (gulp) Grave of the Fireflies which also carry a much heavier message, there are elements of magic, raw beauty or childlike wonder that give them a captivating buoyancy. Nausicaä lacks that, for me.

You're not wrong about any of your criticisms and yet I'm still fond of it. I'm not sure why either, I guess I just liked the world they created and the overall story.