Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:26:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Culture consumed in quarantine

Started by Thomas, March 18, 2020, 07:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Quote from: Thomas on May 05, 2020, 09:52:27 PM
Speaking of wispily white-haired YouTube characters, I'd like to introduce another:

Wildlife Aid, and its founder Simon Cowell (not that one)

Here in Thomas Manor we've been watching a few of these every night. Lovely, short clips of wildlife rescues. Simon established the foundation 40 years ago after packing in his big cash City career.

Wildlife SOS was centred around the foundation, which won them a lot of coverage and support, but Simon has criticised the increasing demands of that sort of TV:

Seems like a good egg, saving hedgehogs and foxes and geese, setting them free to multiply.
I bet he's never put a hit out on a lady

H-O-W-L

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 05, 2020, 12:02:22 AM
Does it actually need any of that? I feel like most of it would be fine with a general knowledge of the plot, I didn't watch S1 for over 10 years before the return, never watched all of season 2 (did watch the finale right before starting the return though) and only half paid attention to FWWM a couple of years ago, don't feel like I missed out on a huge amount.

People make Twin Peaks more intimidating than it needs to be, I never felt like there's a demand on the audience to try and follow every strand, nor are you spoiling anything hugely on yourself by skipping the rewatch and going back to it later instead.

It's not strictly necessary but I was fucking lost at some of the references to mid-S2 stuff when S3 first started, so I binged it in a week before the next ep and was back up to speed. But I feel like FWWM, at least watching it once all the way through, is absolutely necessary for understanding what the fuck is going on for at least a bit of S3 since most of the Black Lodge stuff, cryptic and explanationless as it may be, is established there.

Every ep of S3 ending on a raucous Roadhouse toe-stomping song was fantastic, though. And their subversion of that in Ep8 (probably the best hour of television made in the last decade) was too.

Lynch's choices of music are also surprisingly down-to-earth and very catchy, too. Introduced me to some new artists (Lissie, The Veils) whom even my 'zoomer' arse hadn't heard of.

Been revisiting Matt Lucas's "Pompidou" over the last few nights. I remember liking it at the time. If you wash away your brain just enough, it's a nice comforting escape from all your lockdown related anxieties.

Also, it might be old hat to some, but I discovered this tonight, Rose returns to seek revenge on Dermot O'hare, the Paul McCartney to her Yoko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAdniWncWu4

Fun!

and of course that led to this, which I was happy to be reminded of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvJACHg1WGA

Edit: For twin peaks, I think going in blind straight to series 3 wouldn't hurt that much, but if you have the option, it wouldn't hurt to watch some great telly/film beforehand.
I rewatched the pilot, the killer reveal (s02e07), the last episode and the film and that seemed like more than enough of a refresher at the time.

mr. logic

Better Call Saul. I've never been as entertained by a show that I'm not even sure I'm enjoying. Or possibly that should be the other way round. Either way, it's...okay, I suppose?

Blue Jam

I'm rewatching all of BCS because I've managed to get Mr Jam into it (yaaaaaay!)

Slightly related, there's a charity Mr. Show reunion thing on Zoom next week and I'm a bit tempted to sign up if it'll be streamable:

https://houseseats.live/2020/05/03/tickets-mrshow513/amp/

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 05, 2020, 04:06:38 PM
Ah, I did include a little review above, might have got lost in the other discussion:

I'll try and stick with it anyway, as it's still got to be better than forcing myself through After Life, which I can't bring myself to do, and my girlfriend wants no part of it either, haha.

To be honest, we've just started series 4 and it's already a far cry from the first two series, which are definitely the best. I know that a meagre cast of three couldn't float about in the sitcom cosmos forever without encountering any other forms of life, but they could have reigned it in a bit. Some of the fucking wacky bollocks like the curry monster in "D.N.A." is way over the top, and I'm wishing they'd tried harder at sticking with the lonely existentialism of the earlier stuff, which they did manage very well with the series 3 finale "The Last Day", but they got carried away I suppose.

But season 3 contains Marooned, which easily beats anything in season 1 & 2 for claustrophobic dread and character development.

I know what you mean though. There is a certain 'Harold Pinter in Space' quality to the first two seasons. In an ideal world, for the most recent runs, I'd like it to have seen Lister and Rimmer confined to their quarters, things become less and less funny as things progress, touching on some of the most toxic elements of the class system (interestingly, Craig Charles has said the US version didn't work precisely because of their lack of rigid hierarchy) and getting into the kind of psychological territory that would give Beckett pause for thought. Would have been interesting to see them do it as a single take in front a studio audience as well.

In reality of course, what we had was the exact opposite of that, with things becoming more cinematic as opposed to more theatrical. To an extent, the same course of development which made League of Gentleman less appealing as it wore on.

alan nagsworth

Interesting thoughts there, thanks. I totally agree with you. Imagine if they'd done one of those conversational type of episodes where it's just Lister and Rimmer in their bunks. There were a lot of conversations in the first two series that took place without either of them leaning round to look at one another. 30 mins of that could have been brilliant. Of course, "Marooned" is the closest we get to that and again I concur, it's one of my favourite episodes of any British comedy and easily the best Red Dwarf episode.

Grant and Naylor, as well as being very solid sci-fi comedy writers with great ideas, also occasionally said great things about societal standards. "Parallel Universe" has a strikingly effective feminist message, where before Rimmer's attitude towards women had been mostly comical, here it was stripped apart and laid bare. It was quite brilliant really.

Still though DWAYNE DIBLEY!!!

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on March 30, 2020, 12:54:25 PM
Good god Thief?

Abominable game.

I am enjoying it, so ner... It's very "on rails" but I do love a good bit o' stealth. Really liked 7th Sector too.

Today I watched the Nathan For You episode where he devises an ingenious strategy to allow larger people to ride horses without injuring the poor beasts. The appearance of the
Spoiler alert
scarecrow drone
[close]
had me howling.

alan nagsworth

Watched the "Quarantine" episode of Red Dwarf last night. Aside from the obvious relatability, it is such a fucking belter of an episode. Chris Barrie on top form. This scene is fantastic:

"I was just doing a little test. A little test to see if you had gone crazy. DEEUUUUGGHHHHHH!!"

Also:

"Back to Reality" is a brilliant closing episode for series 5 as well, I forgot just how compelling and well-structured that one is. The weird dystopia, the videogame plot which would have been a brilliant swerve for the story but is confidently tossed in as a throwaway, the hilarious Brummie technician, and the alternate character designs for the four are all great, including Dwayne Dibley which would have been solid if it had not been recycled further down the line.

My memory of the show is somewhat clouded as I held the first two series in such high regard, but forgot how much fun the show became afterwards, despite losing the claustrophobic melancholy along the way. It stands to reason that eventually they'd have to be more adventurous with the show, and for the most part the character development into that material is well-written. The Cat was never much of a great character to begin with but he's definitely the one with whom you can see the rot setting in the earliest. Cats are obviously vain and narcissistic but they can also be fun and affectionate and sweet, and The Cat never had any of that. His performances just became increasingly exaggerated and pointless.

Blue Jam

Enjoying Fargo season two. Kirsten Dunst's character is an enjoyably cheery sociopath. Especially next to Jesse "Todd Alquist" Plemons playing The Nice One in that couple.

Is season 3 worth bothering with? I'm not sure I can stand ten episodes' worth of Ewan McGregor's American accent.

chveik

non capisco

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 13, 2020, 06:17:03 PM
Is season 3 worth bothering with? I'm not sure I can stand ten episodes' worth of Ewan McGregor's American accent.

Comfortably the weakest of the three series but still worth a watch as there's some great stuff in it, not least of all David Thewlis' fantastically odious antagonist.

Blue Jam

"So you're Lebowski..."

Might give it a go then, cheers.

Small Man Big Horse

I didn't make it through to the end of series 3 and found McGregor unbearable, which was a shame as I really liked the rest of the cast.

jobotic

Quote from: non capisco on May 13, 2020, 06:51:22 PM
Comfortably the weakest of the three series but still worth a watch as there's some great stuff in it, not least of all David Thewlis' fantastically odious antagonist.

Yeah I agree. Can't actually remember that much about it now but he was great.

NattyDread 2

Might need to give this new Twin Peaks a go. I can't remember much about the plot of either series or the film (or if I even watched them all). I have inherited the first two series on dvd and I'm definitely up for a rewatch of S1. So what's the best idea? S1, second half of S2 then film before the new one? Is most of S2 really that bad?

Captain Crunch

I've been meaning to do this for a while, just watching in order of broadcast.  Bits of S2 are very ropey but from what I remember from my last rewatch (just before season 3 came out), it skips along ok and I like some of the overt slapstick stuff which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea. 

non capisco

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on May 13, 2020, 10:20:07 PM
Might need to give this new Twin Peaks a go. I can't remember much about the plot of either series or the film (or if I even watched them all). I have inherited the first two series on dvd and I'm definitely up for a rewatch of S1. So what's the best idea? S1, second half of S2 then film before the new one? Is most of S2 really that bad?

The first section of series 2 is some of the best Twin Peaks there is. If you're not up for wading through all the awful stretch of tone deaf bullshit that Lynch wasn't involved in then I'd watch series 1 then series 2 up to when the identity of Laura's murderer is revealed and that character is decisively out of the picture, then read the synopses of the following episodes on Wikipedia so you at least know who Wyndham Earle and Annie are and then skip to the last two episodes, then definitely watch 'Fire Walk With Me'. That's the CHEAT'S way of doing it, without EARNING the INCREDIBLE series 2 finale like we all had to. (I wouldn't blame you, most of series 2 is honestly fucking dreadful, like if Murnau's 'Nosferatu' suddenly turned halfway through into an episode of 'The Munsters Today')

Twin Peaks: The Return is probably the greatest television programme there has ever been and maybe ever will be.

chveik

Quote from: non capisco on May 13, 2020, 11:30:58 PM
Twin Peaks: The Return is probably the greatest television programme there has ever been and maybe ever will be.

please don't do that to me :(

Fr.Bigley

Cold Meat Platter

Two Headed Sex Beast

Is season 3 worth bothering with?

Definitely, if you've enjoyed 1&2 I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy 3. As mentioned David Thewlis is excellently creepy and Ray Wise pops up a couple of times (nicely tying into the parallel Twin Peaks chat on this page). I liked it a lot and looking forward to season 4

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 11, 2020, 05:10:08 PM
Watched the "Quarantine" episode of Red Dwarf last night. Aside from the obvious relatability, it is such a fucking belter of an episode. Chris Barrie on top form.

Yes that's a fantastic episode. I remember thinking it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen when I first saw it at the tender age of 12. In many ways, it still is.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Enjoying Fargo season two. Kirsten Dunst's character is an enjoyably cheery sociopath. Especially next to Jesse "Todd Alquist" Plemons playing The Nice One in that couple.

Yes. Season 3 is easily the best of the lot. The whole set up of a man who slowly insinuates himself into your life, gradually dismantling your life piece by piece, is classic film noir; would have looked great filmed in b&w, all the men in trilbies and the women in evening gowns. And of course, as has been mentioned, worth watching just for David Thewlis. "What a guy" as Dwayne Dibley would say.

Blue Jam

Thanks lads, going to give season 3 a watch then. Billy Bob Thornton being sinister was the best thing about season 1 and I enjoyed Martin Freeman's character going from meek to vengeful. I enjoyed Kirsten Dunst as a chirpy psycho in season 2. I should enjoy David Thewlis in season 3 then!

Blue Jam

Finally watching seasons 6 and 7 of Mad Men now I know it may be leaving Netflix in June. If anyone was planning to get through that in quarantine, now's the time to start.

Finished Seinfeld last night. That ending is bollocks. Shame.

alan nagsworth

Re: Twin Peaks season 2

There's a 30-minute recap video here which I haven't actually watched myself (because I GREW A FACKIN PAIR and subjected myself to the entire season despite having been told how awful it gets) but it seems passable if you can't be fucked to endure it all. The speed and tone of the guy's voice is fucking annoying though so maybe set the playback speed to 0.75 to make it a slightly more bearable experience than sitting through roughly half a day's worth of really bad Twin Peaks episodes.

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 14, 2020, 11:04:37 AM
I enjoyed Kirsten Dunst as a chirpy psycho in season 2.

She's good in On Becoming a God in Central Florida which you might enjoy.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 14, 2020, 01:35:01 PM
She's good in On Becoming a God in Central Florida which you might enjoy.

Know where I could stream that in the UK? It sounds right up my street, cheers.

Blue Jam

Christ, I had forgotten what an utter prick Don Draper was. And what a creepy little prick Pete Campbell was. I had no idea how much I'd missed all these horrible, horrible people.