Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:51:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Culture consumed in quarantine

Started by Thomas, March 18, 2020, 07:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Limmy's 3-2-1 Videos

Glitchless speedruns of old Final Fantasy games

HBO's Watchmen series

Ford vs Ferrari the film

Ford vs Ferrari the documentary

Cum Town

Have had the Hillary doc lined up for days but cant bring myself to watch it...

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 18, 2020, 09:28:54 PM
I watched a pair of Louis Theroux doccos I hadn't seen before, By Reason of Insanity.

They were exactly how you'd expect. I enjoyed them, but turned the second one off because it was a bit too grim so I missed that signature Louis signoff-monologue-over-a-sad-Donovan-song. Might go back for it.

Went back for the monologue, then watched the new one about prostitution in the uk, Selling Sex.

I find Louis Theroux's gentle questioning very reassuring, and in these strange times I think that is why I find them oddly comforting.

Buelligan

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 18, 2020, 07:53:33 PM
Yes, fantastic. Have you seen The Ballad of Buster Scruggs?

Not yet and I love the Coens.  And I love Brendan Gleeson.  I'm saving it.  I do that a lot with films, not always with great success.  I saved Reservoir Dogs, then watched it and thought meh, not a Jackie Brown is it?

Gregory Torso

Quote from: chveik on March 18, 2020, 09:25:18 PM
I have also two short story collections of George Saunders lined up.

Pastoralia and Civilwarland in Bad Decline? Both excellent.
One of my favourite writers. And I'm finally going to get around to reading Lincoln In The Bardo which I've had for about two years. In fact I'm prioritising it over the pile of other books I still haven't read.

crankshaft

Quote from: Pranet on March 18, 2020, 09:24:33 PM
Today, Mikie, Green Beret, Commando, Ghostbusters.

Some of the other I remember looking at- Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Uridium, Exolon, Feud, Zynaps.

To honest I do tend to give up at some point with the longer ones. It occurred to me that most Spectrum games were so hard there wasn't much point in making the later stages interesting as not many people would ever see them.

I've been doing the same. Anything to keep the dark thoughts at bay.

I'd recommend Bazza H's channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAtlgWePobtHz4AijnFCBuQ) - he plays Speccy games and swears most entertainingly.

Also Rose Tinted Spectrum (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGDTjXnyGM5flG6Xk6fiMAg) - interesting overviews of games, lightly witty, doesn't seem to be a cunt.

Puce Moment

Blue Jam

Quote from: purlieu on March 18, 2020, 11:53:04 PM
Portal 2

Finally got round to buying this for my Xbone, so Wheatley's dulcet Bristolian tones can calm my fears.

Also got Blade Runner-y SOMA-type thing Observer because it's currently £5.99 in the Xbox Store's robot-themed sale.

Cancelled Game Pass because I've rinsed everything I wanted to play on it.

Got £50 of Xbox credit burning a hole in my pocket. Was going to spend it on the System Shock reboot but I guess that ain't coming out any time soon. What else is good?

Blue Jam

Short film from the Glesga Film Fest, online for today only. Sanjeev Kholi plus Janey Godley as a pisshead Glaswegian mermaid trying tae get laid in The Last Mermaid:

https://vimeo.com/398617875

purlieu

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 19, 2020, 01:47:56 PM
Finally got round to buying this for my Xbone, so Wheatley's dulcet Bristolian tones can calm my fears.
I'm got sick of Stephen Merchant's voice so, so fast.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Bence Fekete on March 18, 2020, 07:37:40 PM
Tried watching Contagion (2011) for a laugh.

Off after ten minutes.
. Watch the last five mins, it's all you need to know

studpuppet

Just wanted to say a big, big thankyou to hermetical because I'm currently watching SnubTV in its entirety.

Blue Jam

Wanted a scandalous biography so I am now reading Clive Everton's biog of Ronnie O'Sullivan. Decided against one of O'Sullivan's crime novels but might watch a bit of American Hustle on YouTube later.

Anyone got any recommendations for anything a bit trashier? I can't be doing with anything too heavy at the moment.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

We had a (possibly inappropriate) laugh watching The Gang Gets Quarantined episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia last night.Tonight perhaps I'll put on the Quarantine episode of Red Dwarf.

I do worry that the culture I consume now will be forever tainted by the 'vid.

I can't listen to Doves' Lost Souls because I bought it the day I broke up with someone and listened to it on the way home and every time I've tried to listen to it since, I get a horrible feeling in my stomach. Similarly, I crashed my car whilst listening to 808 State's 808:88:98 and I've not really been able to listen to any of their stuff in the car since.

Might be the time to consume some production line Marvel shite or something. Stuff you won't miss when you start to associate it with Auntie Judy dying because you'll have no desire to ever watch it again.

beanheadmcginty

Watching old episodes of this while subconsciously inserting a C at the beginning:

https://youtu.be/88s3kbwzD2g

Blue Jam

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 19, 2020, 06:19:34 PM
Watching old episodes of this while subconsciously inserting a C at the beginning:

https://youtu.be/88s3kbwzD2g

The closing credits to that genuinely used to give me nightmares:

https://youtu.be/W8gKkiAry4U

2.28 onwards... Honestly, what the fuck was that all about? Brrrrrr.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 19, 2020, 12:26:05 PM
Absolutely going to give these another whirl!
Definitely would, trying to figure out which older Limmy streams to rewatch, feel like I'd remember most the stuff from the story games too well to get much mileage from them.

Thomas

The housemates and I are going to watch Cats (2019) tomorrow. I get tetchy about watching films in a group, but I imagine it's the only way to enjoy this one. 110 minutes is lengthy even for a so-bad-it's-gooder. I'll report back with a single word.

purlieu

Girlfriend and I watched Muppet Treasure Island tonight. Cheered us both the fuck up. I love how totally bonkers the Muppet films are (except Muppets Take Manhattan, which is a fairly generic family comedy movie).

weekender

Quote from: Thomas on March 19, 2020, 11:11:44 PM
The housemates and I are going to watch Cats (2019) tomorrow.

This virus has more serious consequences than I thought.

DON'T DO THIS

ollyboro

Started with Coronation Street - episode 1. I'm not optimistic.

The Library - Seinfeld. Lieutenant Bookman never fails to hit the spot.

object-lesson

Quote from: Bence Fekete on March 18, 2020, 07:37:40 PM
Tried watching Contagion (2011) for a laugh.

Off after ten minutes.

Actually might be quite a good idea to (re)read Station Eleven or watch Survivors (1975) though because they both start off so fastly catastrophically badly the corona doesn't seem so overwhelming in comparison. Though admittedly the plague in Survivors did start in China with someone dropping a test tube.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

JarrowMonkey

Collected works of Tony Hancock and The Twilight Zone

Sin Agog

For the frothy good-natured shite, been watching Kids Meet vids on youtube (https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2etPlnTb9sXwY7EgbEdYcfpl4SOeek3_), otherwise been intermittently going through the eerie '70s show The Changes today, and caught Midsommar yesterday night.  Apart from sneaking in an album earlier, not much else.  My severely autistic sister has pretty much swallowed up all my attention.  Already pretty bruised from the punching and throwing and desk-kicking.

Blue Jam

Quote from: purlieu on March 19, 2020, 11:16:42 PM
Girlfriend and I watched Muppet Treasure Island tonight. Cheered us both the fuck up.

Catchy and appropriate:

https://youtu.be/xsezrzS27UY

buttgammon

In really unfortunate timing, we finished rewatches of Peep Show and Girls just before having to self-isolate, so I've been spending the days playing Hitman, and the nights reading Proust, Joyce and Dante. Seinfeld is now on All4, isn't it?

Norton Canes

Been looking through my old Judge Dredd annuals. Found 'The Big Itch' from 1983...

Inspector Norse

Quote from: ollyboro on March 19, 2020, 11:45:28 PM
The Library - Seinfeld. Lieutenant Bookman never fails to hit the spot.

Yeah I started on Seinfeld series three a couple of days ago and have that one up next. Have never sat down and properly watched Seinfeld in order, just caught random episodes whenever reruns were on, so there's still a lot I haven't seen.

I'm not in quarantine mind.