Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:41:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Culture consumed in quarantine

Started by Thomas, March 18, 2020, 07:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Why are we desensitised to murder and not rape in art? Its something I've always wondered about.

Because in reality, it's the opposite right?

jobotic

When she brings her boyfriend back from college we see what a horrible old racist cunt Tony is. It's really to their credit that the writers never let us forget for too long how loathsome these people are. Only the far bleaker Gomorrah did that as effectively. Certainly lacking sometimes from the Narcos series.

Talking of which I only just read that there is a Gomorrah spin-off movie, L'Immortale about Ciro. Anyone seen it?

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on June 06, 2020, 12:55:45 PM
Why are we desensitised to murder and not rape in art? Its something I've always wondered about.

I don't think I'm desensitised to either. Just seen the one where
Spoiler alert
Sal attacks Bryan with a golf club
[close]
and got a horrible flashback to that scene in Cucumber. I enjoyed Cucumber but I never want to see that bit ever again. Proper nightmare fuel.

selectivememory

To be fair, I think Meadow does start to change after the
Spoiler alert
Jackie Jr murder
[close]
at the end of Season 3. By the end of the show she's as bad as the rest of them, but in those first three seasons she did seem like the only Soprano with a conscience.

mr. logic

Quote from: selectivememory on June 06, 2020, 01:58:48 PM
To be fair, I think Meadow does start to change after the
Spoiler alert
Jackie Jr murder
[close]
at the end of Season 3. By the end of the show she's as bad as the rest of them, but in those first three seasons she did seem like the only Soprano with a conscience.

Yes, that's possibly fair.

A few people have mentioned her boyfriends. One thing (among many) I love about The Sopranos is that for all they do grizzled mob talk brilliantly, the writers always had a terrific ear for teenage/douchebag dialogue too. It's quite a feat that. I'm thinking particularly of Meadow shouting to Tony that 'Noel was quiet at Hunter's, now she thinks he's stuck up' and the infamous suitcase argument later on in the show. It really is the best programme ever about human beings.

Blue Jam

I love the way the men of The Sopranos think going down on a woman is a shamefully submissive and unmasculine thing to do, ditto getting a vasectomy, but that hugging and kissing your male friends and telling them you love them is perfectly alright. The show is a great exploration of machismo.

mr. logic

There's a lovely moment when Tony describes Jackie having, despite chemo, a 'beautiful head of hair' which has become something of a catchphrase amongst my Sopranos watching friends and was a great way to express the depth of Tony and Jackie's relationship.

Bazooka

I've probably watched the entire thing 7 times, I need to leave it a couple of years for the next watch, it's still the top apex predator of TV.

flotemysost

Quote from: bgmnts on June 06, 2020, 12:55:45 PM

I don't know if I'd necessarily agree on either count - for me, the
Spoiler alert
Dr Melfi rape
[close]
scene was so affecting partly because
Spoiler alert
the sense of terror and paralysis felt horribly authentic, but was neither overly graphic nor 'euphemistic', but also wasn't eroticised either, unlike many depictions of sexual assault in popular TV/film
[close]
- I'd argue that lots of viewers probably are desensitised because that's what they're more used to seeing.

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 06, 2020, 03:29:40 PM
The show is a great exploration of machismo.

I agree, I know it's not even that old but it still feels pretty ahead of its time in its exploration of masculinity and mental health.

chveik

I'm quite of jealous of people experiencing The Sopranos for the first time.

jobotic

One of those shows I've seen but not in the right order. So I've started from the beginning. Just finished "No Show" - episode 2 of season 4. Lovely bit of rowfing from Adrianna! Never seen it before but the next few coming up I have a few times.

Wondered what the track at the end was - it's Kid A! I know nothing about Radiohead. It's quite nice. Like something on Morr Music.

edit:

Episode 3. The beginning with them discussing Colombus Day and Furio saying he's not a fan (whoa whoa!). Janice to Ralphie - "work that ass you little cunt. Mama's little hoo-uh". Phone rings. "I gotta get that".

Ferris

Quote from: jobotic on June 07, 2020, 12:00:34 AM
One of those shows I've seen but not in the right order. So I've started from the beginning. Just finished "No Show" - episode 2 of season 4. Lovely bit of rowfing from Adrianna! Never seen it before but the next few coming up I have a few times.

Wondered what the track at the end was - it's Kid A! I know nothing about Radiohead. It's quite nice. Like something on Morr Music.

edit:

Episode 3. The beginning with them discussing Colombus Day and Furio saying he's not a fan (whoa whoa!). Janice to Ralphie - "work that ass you little cunt. Mama's little hoo-uh". Phone rings. "I gotta get that".

You should definitely check out the rest of Kid A, it's great.

Chollis

Quote from: Bazooka on June 06, 2020, 06:12:57 PM
I've probably watched the entire thing 7 times, I need to leave it a couple of years for the next watch, it's still the top apex predator of TV.

i'm the same, re-watch the sopranos/the wire every 2 years or so. think I need to leave Sopranos a bit longer but it's sooo tempting. i'll see it on sky atlantic at like 2am and will be completely engrossed

Ferris

Quote from: Chollis on June 07, 2020, 12:57:33 AM
i'm the same, re-watch the sopranos/the wire every 2 years or so. think I need to leave Sopranos a bit longer but it's sooo tempting. i'll see it on sky atlantic at like 2am and will be completely engrossed

Would you say The Wire is better? I think it is the best telly ever made anywhere - I even wangled a work trip to B-more to see the place on the back of the series.

People keep saying "watch the sopranos" but is it as good as Jimmy McNulty crashing his car while pissed up and listening to the pogues?

Dex Sawash

Burned through 1st 2 series of Killing Eve, it isn't a great show but Jodie Corona is absolutely fabulous in it.

Bazooka

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 07, 2020, 01:14:59 AM
Would you say The Wire is better? I think it is the best telly ever made anywhere - I even wangled a work trip to B-more to see the place on the back of the series.

People keep saying "watch the sopranos" but is it as good as Jimmy McNulty crashing his car while pissed up and listening to the pogues?

The Sopranos is better, it's the Lincolnshire sausage to The Wire's Cumberland, the extra herbs just tip it to the top.

Blue Jam

I still prefer Better Call Saul.

I do think The Sopranos is better than Breaking Bad though.

Chollis

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 07, 2020, 01:14:59 AM

People keep saying %u201Cwatch the sopranos%u201D but is it as good as Jimmy McNulty crashing his car while pissed up and listening to the pogues?

ahhh i dunno, it's like choosing your favourite child, i love them both so much it feels wrong to pick one. i think it might just marginally be The Wire. but in terms of ranking for me its like

The Wire & The Sopranos

|
|
|
|    massive chasm
|   
|
|

all the other big hitters like like breaking bad, twin peaks, mad men, boardwalk empire, deadwood etc

Ferris

Quote from: Bazooka on June 07, 2020, 09:23:53 AM
The Sopranos is better, it's the Lincolnshire sausage to The Wire's Cumberland, the extra herbs just tip it to the top.

I love this description. The Sopranos is always so highly rated, I must give it another try as I didn't really like it first time round and only made it through the first season (I think?). I'm happy to acknowledge that this may be my fault for not paying attention properly.

As for the other big hitters, a lot of them are good but never really measure up

*ferris hot take alert*

I thought Breaking Bad wasn't very good

*ferris hot take alert ended*

jobotic

The Wire is better, marginally. Although things like McNulty crashing his car while listening to The Pogues right got on my tits.

Chollis

Quote from: jobotic on June 07, 2020, 03:48:57 PM
Although things like McNulty crashing his car while listening to The Pogues right got on my tits.

what?! that's one of the funniest scenes!

chveik

Quote from: jobotic on June 07, 2020, 03:48:57 PM
The Wire is better, marginally. Although things like McNulty crashing his car while listening to The Pogues right got on my tits.

in retrospect, The Wire is a bit too liberal friendly for my taste.

Puce Moment

Just getting to the end of season 3 of The Sopranos and it is a delight. Far, far better than I remembered the first time around. As BJ notes above, it is so good for exploring masculinity. It's a real take-down of men yet seems to be beloved by so many who love mob films. The beauty of the cunnilingus story was that they all do it, they just put on a front to show they don't approve.

Chollis

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 07, 2020, 04:20:37 PM

perhaps a bit unfair to lump twin peaks in with stuff like breaking bad. wire/sopranos is just miles ahead of everything for me clive

imitationleather

I've never seen The Sopranos. I really should sort that out one day.

I dunno how Breaking Bad can even be compared to The Wire. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching Breaking Bad. But because it's an OTT and campy romp.

jobotic

Quote from: Chollis on June 07, 2020, 04:02:04 PM
what?! that's one of the funniest scenes!

Granted it is good on first watch. I've seen The Wire a few times now though and McNulty's antics get more tiresome each time. Outside of police work anyway.

Be hard to watch cops in their own cop bar celebrating being cops at the moment.

Ferris

Quote from: jobotic on June 07, 2020, 07:47:24 PM
Granted it is good on first watch. I've seen The Wire a few times now though and McNulty's antics get more tiresome each time. Outside of police work anyway.

Be hard to watch cops in their own cop bar celebrating being cops at the moment.

Yeah not sure how I'd feel about that, but it did at least recognize there were structural issues. This is as relevant now as it was then.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5za4VsskM

Chollis

Quote from: jobotic on June 07, 2020, 07:47:24 PM

yeah that's fair enough. i definitely like him less and less every time

Blue Jam

Control is half-price in the Xbox Store now. I liked Quantum Break fuckit purchase