Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:19:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Culture consumed in quarantine

Started by Thomas, March 18, 2020, 07:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheffield Wednesday

It's way better Beej. I didn't finish it but some really cool stuff in there.

Bazooka

Control is really good, at first I thought ahh I've played loads of games with telekinesis powers, but this is really tightly designed, the rocket enemies made me rage.

Blue Jam

Why is the Now TV app shit on every device you can install it on? Smart TV, Xbox, phone, tablet... I understand why they won't let you watch programmes through a nicely-designed Web browser because of piracy but FFS, it's annoying when you're perfectly willing to pay for a decent level of service.

Blue Jam

Just finished The Sopranos season 4. Yes, Meadow is becoming a brat now, I see. Still probably the nicest character though. Gawd, that Ralph is a hateful prick, I have enjoyed waiting to see if they decide to bump him off or not. Ditto for Christopher, the greasy little twat.

Now to fit in seasons 5 and 6 before they disappear. Gonna give Succession a go too.

Puce Moment

Middle of season 4 and I can't believe Ralphie is still alive. Season 3 (or as my wife calls it 'the misogynist season') is really grim in terms of the treatment of women. And there is that really odd episode when the strippers seem to be focused on. I mean, the camera lingers on their dancing in a way that simply hasn't happened before. I assume that it is a way, by the end of the episode, to show that a stripper has been brutalised, raped and murdered, but the dancing still goes on, and the punters will come for beer and to watch women on stage. Depressing as fuck.

Blue Jam

Oh yes, I know exactly what you mean about season 3, it's a tough watch and
Spoiler alert
Ralphie beating pregnant 20-year-old mother Tracee to death
[close]
made for very grim viewing indeed.

I'm hoping both Meadow and AJ do a Sally Draper and vow to get the fuck away from their parents and strive to be as unlike them as humanly possible.

I also can't quite buy all these young women throwing themselves at Tony. I know he's wealthy and powerful and that, but come on, he's no Don Draper. I suppose he's got a bit of a twinkly Father Christmas thing about him, but so has John Higgins. Nah, doesn't do it for me.

It's truly great television but I still prefer Mad Men and BCS and don't think that will change.

Puce Moment

I sometimes wonder if Ralphie was brought in to make the rest of them look less like rapey psychos. If so, it doesn't really work. I am FAR less sympathetic to Tony this time around. Not that I was before, but perhaps because I am now older than his character (rather than much younger as I was when first watching this show) I just feel that Tony needs a tyre iron to his bonce.

I have been finding the attraction to Tony really funny this time around. The Italian patient in Melfi's waiting room and the Nurse at Junior's place giving him eyes (although she was undercover so had a good reason). Perhaps they are attracted to the sound of extremely fucked up sinuses.

ollyboro

Horror Channel - Freeview Channel 70, Sunday 14 June, 6:40pm is showing Shark Lake.

"A toothy thriller starring Dolph Lundgren. A lake town is plunged into blood-soaked chaos when man eating sharks invade their waters (2015)."

Allowance will have to be made for the advances in CGI  and rubber since Shark Lake was made, but I still expect this to thrill.

Can sharks get into lakes? Logistically unlikely. Unless some evil bastard is releasing them into lakes.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 11, 2020, 05:01:29 PM
Middle of season 4 and I can't believe Ralphie is still alive.

He brings to mind that description of Terri in The Thick Of It: "One of the many, many things that baffles me about you is that you remain unmurdered."

Sebastian Cobb

Has Joe Pantoliano ever played a halfway decent guy? He was a bastard in The Sopranos, The Matrix, Memento and, err.. *checks notes* The Goonies.

Blue Jam

Season 5, episode 2. Shut the fuck up Donny.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 11, 2020, 10:07:09 PM
Has Joe Pantoliano ever played a halfway decent guy? He was a bastard in The Sopranos, The Matrix, Memento and, err.. *checks notes* The Goonies.

I feel he is ambivalent in Memento.

jobotic

They should redo The Sopranos with John Higgins as Tony.

No, he's too much of a monster.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 11, 2020, 10:07:09 PM
The Fugitive?

flotemysost

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 11, 2020, 05:04:01 PM
I suppose he's got a bit of a twinkly Father Christmas thing about him

Made me laugh.

But yeah I know what you mean - I guess the women who go for him are meant to be a bit emotionally fucked up, but the idea of 'damaged woman seeking daddy figure' is a bit predictable. Though to be fair, it's also implied that he's attracted to them because their unstable/volatile personalities trigger some sort of Oedipal response.

mr. logic

Twin Peaks. Just watched the pilot and enjoyed it in that way one often enjoys the first episode of these critically acclaimed things, as though on constant edge to not suddenly find it dull. I'll stick with it, the plot was  more straightforward than I was expecting.

Re. Tony's sexiness. All the female cast members fancied Gandolfini too, so it's believable enough. For the most part. There's a woman later on who I genuinely think is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, and not only does he sleep with her, but he sleeps with her as though it were just a given. I don't want to say anything more but it's very late on, when he goes to Vegas. I never really worked that one out, I don't think he was paying her.

Ferris

Quote from: ollyboro on June 11, 2020, 09:47:39 PM
Horror Channel - Freeview Channel 70, Sunday 14 June, 6:40pm is showing Shark Lake.

"A toothy thriller starring Dolph Lundgren. A lake town is plunged into blood-soaked chaos when man eating sharks invade their waters (2015)."

Allowance will have to be made for the advances in CGI  and rubber since Shark Lake was made, but I still expect this to thrill.

Can sharks get into lakes? Logistically unlikely. Unless some evil bastard is releasing them into lakes.

There was a whale in the St Lawrence river near Montréal the other week, that's 600 miles inland. Another 500 and it'd be in the Great Lakes system.

I think bull sharks can survive in brackish water and attack people in the Ganges, but that's based on half remembered late night Wikipedia trawling.

ollyboro

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 12, 2020, 06:09:04 PM
There was a whale in the St Lawrence river near Montréal the other week, that's 600 miles inland. Another 500 and it'd be in the Great Lakes system.

I think bull sharks can survive in brackish water and attack people in the Ganges, but that's based on half remembered late night Wikipedia trawling.

The write up for Shark Lake suggests more than one shark. This could make Jaws look like a shopping centre fish pedicure. Fuck knows how Dolph is going to deal with them. I hope he uses a massive gun. Or a harpoon.

Ferris

Quote from: ollyboro on June 12, 2020, 08:23:41 PM
The write up for Shark Lake suggests more than one shark. This could make Jaws look like a shopping centre fish pedicure. Fuck knows how Dolph is going to deal with them. I hope he uses a massive gun. Or a harpoon.

Is it set in the Ganges? That would make it more believable

ollyboro

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 13, 2020, 12:38:33 AM
Is it set in the Ganges? That would make it more believable

Lake Tahoe. Wonder if we'll get to see Fredo Corleone's corpse bobbing up and down.

Blue Jam

Finally started Succession. Good to see Jesse Armstrong's still got it when it comes to writing sitcoms packed full of utterly unsympathetic characters.

Blue Jam

Quote from: jobotic on June 11, 2020, 10:19:39 PM
They should redo The Sopranos with John Higgins as Tony.

No, he's too much of a monster.

It would be easier to just make it about Ronnie O'Sullivan and make it a factual series.

Sebastian Cobb

It'd need a rewrite because british gangsters famously love their mums.

Blue Jam

Quote from: flotemysost on May 26, 2020, 11:00:12 PM
Trying to plough through The Sopranos before it gets taken off NowTV but I'm only on S2.

Looks like it's been renewed until 2023. Phew.

Blue Jam

BITCHFEST: Tonight's viewing: Mean Girls followed by a bit of Daria. Fucking ace.

Gawd I love Daria. Most underrated cartoon ever.

chveik

you're right, it holds up pretty well. I haven't heard since last year about the remake they were supposed to make, I hope I won't happen.

The Culture Bunker

I did love Daria back in the 90s, when I was chronically moody/depressed teen myself. Would have loved for there to have been a Jane Lane at my school, but alas. A friend had some of them on DVD that I watched a few years back, and I agree it held up very well - I think a lot (if not all) the music had been replaced with generic guitar riffs for copyright reasons, which was a shame. I remember at the time being pleasantly surprised when Monaco's 'What Do You Want From Me?' popped up in one scene.

Ferris

Quote from: chveik on June 14, 2020, 01:37:56 AM
you're right, it holds up pretty well. I haven't heard since last year about the remake they were supposed to make, I hope I won't happen.

We watched it the other night actually, we were pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

Hoping the remake comes to a COVIDy end.

mr. logic

I'm giving up on Twin Peaks. I'm sure it's brilliant but I shouldn't be actively bored watching a thing. There's too many things.

I watched a four part documentary series about Hillary Clinton 'Hillary'. Made her somewhat likeable and human.

Been speeding through Anthony Bourdain's 'No Reservations' on Netflix.