Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:20:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Culture consumed in quarantine

Started by Thomas, March 18, 2020, 07:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Just bought the Inspector Gadget boxset.

I'm 44!

Sean Ymphs

Quote from: mr. logic on June 16, 2020, 06:52:34 AM
I'm giving up on Twin Peaks. I'm sure it's brilliant but I shouldn't be actively bored watching a thing. There's too many things.

Where did you get up to out of interest?

mr. logic

I watched the first series, all the while not convinced I was truly getting it. The consensus seems to be that the second year is a stinker, so I googled who killed Laura and skipped to the most recent year. Watched two and a bit episodes but just felt completely unmoved.

The thing is, it's one of those where I'm completely prepared to accept it's my fault. I know people love it, I know it's working on levels I'm just not understanding. So yes, glad I tried it, but not for me.

Blue Jam

Re-watching Curb Your Enthusiasm now. It's great but I do find myself struggling to suspend my disbelief over numerous subplots. Being British means I can't understand why Larry David doesn't just go "Oh fuck this" and walk away half the time. I'm neurotic as fuck and Seinfeld makes me feel better about myself, but Curb makes me feel better still.

I guess some of the humour comes from a New Yorker being in California though, that fish-out-of-water thing of someone being used to people being curt and abrasive not fitting in with people who are more polite and more afraid of offending anyone. And I thought Californians were more laid back...

Really enjoying the rewatch though, it's far better than I remembered.

Blue Jam

Veep. Much better than I expected.

bgmnts

Modern Family.

Really fucking funny.

Blue Jam

Early Doors

Better than The Royle Family tbh.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: bgmnts on June 19, 2020, 10:15:03 PM
Modern Family.

Really fucking funny.

Series 1 - 3 is really fun for a mainstream sitcom, 4 - 6 is still decent enough, but it gets reasonably shitty reasonably quickly after that, with Manny and Luke being oddly rapey at times.

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 28, 2020, 12:15:46 AM
Early Doors

Absolutely, I'm very fond of the show and am gutted I missed the stage show version of it in 2018.

bgmnts

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 28, 2020, 12:20:52 AM
Series 1 - 3 is really fun for a mainstream sitcom, 4 - 6 is still decent enough, but it gets reasonably shitty reasonably quickly after that, with Manny and Luke being oddly rapey at times.

Yeah the children are obviously the weak link, Lilly being the best of the sprogs in terms of comedic delivery for me, but its to be expected. I actually was surprised at how funny Sofia Vergara was.

Blue Jam

I clean forgot Maxine Peake was in Early Doors. I really wanted to see her as Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream but the cinema near me which was screening it live from the Globe or wherever was charging £20. I bet she was great though.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 28, 2020, 12:15:46 AM
Early Doors

James McAvoys first proper role too.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 06, 2020, 03:29:40 PM
I love the way the men of The Sopranos think going down on a woman is a shamefully submissive and unmasculine thing to do, ditto getting a vasectomy, but that hugging and kissing your male friends and telling them you love them is perfectly alright. The show is a great exploration of machismo.

On season 6 episode 6 now. Whoa.

Blue Jam

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 04, 2020, 04:10:50 PM[Far Cry 5]Yeah it's mindless fun and very atmospheric, story is quite wacky though. It has an arcade mode which is really good, you have access to a mapmaker + bots (fun), and you can publish them and play other people's. It's a neat system, and some of the stuff people have built is amazing and better than some of the game environments

Just started this and it looks great and is nicely immersive but is the chapter where you have to liberate the island a sort of lengthy tutorial thing? It feels way too easy right now, even on Hard difficulty, with the aim assist off and with friendly fire on- and I'm not showing off there, I'm crap at twitch shooters. It's very nicely put together but I can see myself getting a bit bored before too long.

It does have some nice bits in common with MGSV and Just Cause 4. So far it's like a version of JC4 that feels a lot less aimless and looks a lot less like an Xbox 360 game. Gave up on JC4 though...

Puce Moment

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on June 28, 2020, 11:59:36 AMJames McAvoys first proper role too.

He did a fantastic turn in State of Play before Shameless. That was back in the day when I found his confidence very charming.

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 01, 2020, 06:49:46 PMOn season 6 episode 6 now. Whoa.

Me too. I should probably start a thread but this time around I found myself far less sympathetic to some of the characters I felt for in the past. The guy working in the Bada Bing who Tony keeps bullying because he is low status (fuck him, he charges strippers blow-jobs to enter the executive whoring rooms), or the guy who hangs himself because Tony's crew won't release him (fuck him, he beats the crap out of that guy on the building site for nothing).

I also felt FAR more judgemental of Carmella. The only one I felt sorry for is Adrianna (argh!) and that poor gardening guy getting shafted.

The habitual position of the Bada Bing always seemed, to me, to be a cute way for HBO to throw loads of tits at an episode. But now watching it, I kind of feel like Chase IS trying to make some comment, particularly in season 3. However, it does overly seem ubiquitous.

Also, Meadow is a terrible actress, Paulie and Silvio are surprisingly solid and great throughout, some of the product placement is amusingly shit and obvious, and I've been eating arseloads more pasta.

Blue Jam

Meadow also gets far less sympathetic as the show goes on. AJ is a spoiled little shit too, another reason not to have sympathy for Carmela. Tbh I never really felt sorry for Carmela, she gives every impression she knew what she was getting into, unlike poor Adrianna who seemed genuinely naive and too pure for that world. I also hate Christopher even more than Ralph now, even his fucking face annoys me.

I've just watched the one where they're at Janice and Bobby's lakeside house for Tony's birthday. Seeing the conspicuous placement of cans of Heineken made me think of James Bond drinking it in Skyfall.

There was a bit of blatant product placement in Breaking Bad too- Jesse gittin' gud at shooting by playing Rage on his Kinect springs to mind. Is there any in Better Call Saul? The cars maybe (apart from Jimmy's Esteem of course) but all those close-ups of the badges, hood ornaments from the driver's POV etc just look like nice arty shots in that show.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Been rewatching all of Better Call Saul and just got to season 4 and Werner Ziegler and his crew. Fuck it, I loved those bits and that's a damn nice man cave they had there.

Dex Sawash

Started on Detectorists this week. Cinematic + soul crushingly depressing + very down to earth + funny.  Crook is somehow quite handsome in this.

Blue Jam

Bit of Breaking Bad tonight. Jesse, you may be pretty but you are an absolute fucking penis. And you like Derek.

Thomas

Quote from: bgmnts on June 19, 2020, 10:15:03 PM
Modern Family.

My housemates spent the past few weeks watching this nonstop, episode after episode, from pilot to finale. As such, I've developed a Pavlovian aversion to it. As far as I could tell it was mainly kids shouting in that American way and then parents having a nice moment. I might give it a fair go when I live in a different house.

I've started listening to the All Killa No Filla podcast, after seeing it mentioned on here. Serial killer poddies and doccos are ten a shilling, but hosts Rachel Fairburn and Kiri Pritchard-McLean are absolutely hilarious. I'll be seeking out their stand-up.

I've also just finished listening to a lengthy series of episodes on the JFK assassination from Last Podcast on the Left. I imagine their near-shock jock stylings divide opinion, but I find the hosts pretty conscientious and funny for the most part (especially Henry, whose impressions I love), and this particular series of episodes was thoroughly researched, balanced, and carefully presented. Established facts and historical context laid out nicely before getting into The Theories. Introduced me to loads of historical detail, and a couple of oddly compelling suggestions I'd not heard before.[nb]Oswald was aiming for Connally, and the explosive final shot came from a different gun - namely that of a clumsy Secret Service agent. Sounds silly when you put it like that, but the ballistics, man! the bullet fragments, the missing brain, the faked x-ray!! the lizard people![/nb]

Sin Agog

Can't find the what have you been learning in lockdown thread.  Was up til about 3 in the am practising circular breathing on the didgeridoo, and now I've been doing it again since 7.  I do not live alone.  Earful imminent.  It mostly involves slowly letting the air you've squirrelled away into your cheeks escape by itself while taking a gentle 'sip' of breath through your nose.

Blue Jam

Nebraska. Lovely little film this innit?

Sebastian Cobb

I rattled through Deutschland 89 which I rather enjoyed and then finished off Deadwood and the film, the film was shit.

Plan's to rewatch Twin Peaks so I can watch the new ones.

Ferris

Watching the Mandalorian. It's alright, not massively arsed but I can see why people are mad for it.

Personally, I like whooshing lasers and explosions the best. That's just me though.

Sebastian Cobb

If I get bored enough I'll watch DS9. Although I'll probably rewatch Voyager first what with it being superior and all

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Thomas on July 23, 2020, 11:46:09 PM

I've started listening to the All Killa No Filla podcast, after seeing it mentioned on here. Serial killer poddies and doccos are ten a shilling, but hosts Rachel Fairburn and Kiri Pritchard-McLean are absolutely hilarious. I'll be seeking out their stand-up.

I think Kiri's last show (Victim, Complex) is available somewhere, and an earlier show is on NextUp.

Rachel has an older show (Her Majesty) on GoFasterStripe and a new show (The People's Princess) for download, link on her social media headers.

Blue Jam

Mr Jam has informed me that if I enjoyed Nebraska I should give Sideways a go so that will probably happen soon. When that was released I remember being put off by the print adverts with that smug and unfunny quote about merlot which seemed designed to be something people laugh at to prove they're middle class. Apparently it's just another feel-good road movie though and I could do with one of those.

Blue Jam

Also after not getting on with It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia I decided to give it another go and I'm glad I did. Already up to season 11 now. I rewatched "The Gang Saves The Day" last night and found I still can't watch Charlie's dream sequence,
Spoiler alert
the animated Up!/Ratatouille pastiche
[close]
without welling up, fucksake.

Also I love stupid characters in sitcoms and Charlie might well be my favourite now. Charlie describing the process of conception as "The sperm swims up and eats the egg and grows big and strong" absolutely floored me.

I was initially put off IASIP by people telling me "It gets good at series 2, just stick with it". I think I'm learning not to trust my snobbish instincts here.

Ferris

Sunny is great, but it's a hard sell to get anyone to watch it. "It only gets good when Danny DeVito joins the cast" makes it sound shit unfortunately.

chveik

the first season isn't that bad, still vastly superior to most US sitcoms. in any case it's only 7 episodes