Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:59:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Culture consumed in quarantine

Started by Thomas, March 18, 2020, 07:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

Quote from: mr. logic on June 17, 2020, 04:19:27 AM
I watched the first series, all the while not convinced I was truly getting it. The consensus seems to be that the second year is a stinker, so I googled who killed Laura and skipped to the most recent year. Watched two and a bit episodes but just felt completely unmoved.

The thing is, it's one of those where I'm completely prepared to accept it's my fault. I know people love it, I know it's working on levels I'm just not understanding. So yes, glad I tried it, but not for me.

I realise this is months and months later, but even with what you've said about Twin Peaks here, you should give the film a go, Fire Walk With Me. I'm a big Lynch fan, and I always thought Twin Peaks was okay, but never felt as passionate about it as other people. The film, however, is brilliant, and works as a standalone thing I think, even if you don't understand every bit of it. It's only two hours of your time for what I consider to be Lynch's second or third best film.

The third season is also brilliant, and finally gave me a Twin Peaks series that I thought was up there with Lynch's best films, but it's a really slow burn, and the audience enjoyment is much more dependent on knowledge of the earlier seasons than the film is.

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

heard someone say today that the reason there hasn't been such an outcry by so many musicians over all this carry on is because of clauses in their recording contracts, is that feasible?

Big Mclargehuge

I've done a TON mate this year!

*Watched all the Universal Monster movies from the 30's to the 60's (everything other than the key classics for the first time!)
*Watched All of William Castles films from 1957 - 1965
*Watched all the Key Jackie Chan movies
*Watched all the Key Bruce Lee movies
*Watched all the Puppet Master Movies
*Watched all the Evil Bong movies
*Watched all the Gingerdead man movies
*Watched all the Planet of the Apes movies
*Started Star Trek TNG for the first time (im up to season 2)
*Watched Trailer park boys up to season 11

Im approaching around 200 watched films this year and because of this dreaded plague im afraid I'll have 19 days off at christmas with nothing to do but drink whisky and watch EVEN MORE films than normal. (It's a curse I swear...)

Head Gardener

Blue Jam

Finally giving Dexter a go, only about 12 years after it was first recommended to me. It's pretty light but somehow engaging at the same time. I like it.

chveik

Deadwood

relentlessly bleak but by god it's good

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: chveik on November 19, 2020, 10:34:41 PM
Deadwood

relentlessly bleak but by god it's good

But do you have to thumb it in?

DrGreggles

Blue Jam

Deadpool. It's very daft. I liked it.

That's a whopping three Marvel films I have watched and enjoyed now. Perhaps I should stop being so sneery about them and watch some more.

Thomas

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 10, 2021, 11:05:26 AM
Deadpool. It's very daft. I liked it.

That's a whopping three Marvel films I have watched and enjoyed now. Perhaps I should stop being so sneery about them and watch some more.

I've slipped into the Marvel vortex lately, as well. The introductions and origin stories are formulaic - as is the look of many of the films - but I admire their patient universe-building, as opposed to DC's calamitous rush, and each film has its own handful of surprising cast members.

My partner and I are slowly edging our way towards the climax of zeitgeist-topper The Queen's Gambit. The hype is lost on us. The emotional impact of things happening seems to have been snipped out - or maybe I'm just missing the subtleties. So far, the protagonist's
Spoiler alert
supposedly tortured life of drink, drugs, and grief has amounted to a single mild hangover with not a hair out of place
[close]
Spoiler alert
Her harrowing addiction to prescription drugs has resulted in - gasp - a couple of wibbly camera effects and a friend saying 'you shouldn't do drugs'.
[close]
The onscreen dramatic output is superficial when you consider the potential of the ingredients. I don't feel anything for any of the characters, so I'm just watching them move inconsequentially around - almost like wooden pieces on some sort of checkered board. I found things to agree with in this review:

QuoteDrama happens, she wins, she loses, she takes pills, she stops taking them, she sleeps with this guy and then that one, someone dies — but there are no stakes [...] There's not a single moment when I thought, Please let this work out; please let this go well; please let Beth thrive.

Neither of us play chess, so we're also missing the thrill of being able to observe that the chess moves are accurate. Might get round to watching the final episode tonight. If I find my mind radically changed, I'll report back.

Blue Jam

I play chess (well, I can play chess) and I still have no desire to give The Queen's Gambit a go. There's too much other stuff to watch first. As someone who isn't really into sport apart from snooker but really enjoys sports biopics for some reason, would I find it enjoyable on some level?

I don't get the thing of sticking with a series to the bitter end to see it through either, unless you're having a good ol' hatewatch I guess. I did that with series 1 of After Life but still couldn't make it past the first episode of series 2.

mobias

Finally getting round, about 7 years late, to watching Detectorists on iPlayer. Thought it would be the perfect antidote to the world at the moment and I wasn't wrong. Its not perfect but it hits the spot and is thoroughly enjoyable.

Thomas

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 10, 2021, 02:26:15 PM
I don't get the thing of sticking with a series to the bitter end to see it through either, unless you're having a good ol' hatewatch I guess. I did that with series 1 of After Life but still couldn't make it past the first episode of series 2.

I'm a bit of a completist, and I think you can learn things from a series you don't fully enjoy - even if it's just a better understanding of why I dislike (or fail to appreciate, or wouldn't myself make) certain creative choices.

I've abandoned series (and, as evidenced in this thread, the film Cats) before, but this one is only seven episodes long and I've just the finale left.

plus Thomas watch pretty lady play boardgame

peanutbutter

I've restarted Friday Night Lights, virtually every episode so far seems to have a moment that nearly makes me cry, which probably says as much about my mental state as the show itself.

It's holding up better than I expected, and from my memory seasons 4 and 5 are the strongest ones too so I'm pretty pumped.

Blue Jam

Been rewatching Breaking Bad, then was thinking of rewatching Succession, then I thought "I'm onto rewatches now? Fucking hell, how has lockdown gone on this long?"

...so I decided to give The Wire another go. Watched the first few episodes back when it was on BBC2 and Charlie Brooker was raving about it but never got past about three episodes. Just watched episode 1 and been reminded that it's got lots and lots of characters, perhaps that's why I found it hard to get into. It's clearly quality stuff though.

Blue Jam

...ah I had forgotten how funny this show is. Think I might stick with it this time.

Kankurette

Blue Jam

More Curb tonight. FFS Cheryl David:

"Oh honey, it's just Ted Danson, he wants that shirt I really like but I don't want to give it away..."
"OH HAI TED LARRY HAS THAT SHIRT YOU LIKE IT'S JUST UPSTAIRS LOL"

"OH HAI LARRY MY PSYCHIC SAID YOU'RE CHEATING ON ME"

Does no-one else watch this and think "Cheryl, just get a fucking job"?

Blue Jam

Been watching Doctor Who, specifically Peter Capaldi as The Twelfth Doctor. Watched his first series (series 8) when it aired and enjoyed it, but drifted away during season 9. Just remembered Bill Potts and thought "She always seemed like an interesting companion, I really ought to catch up at some point". Doing that now but being reminded that I have a load of Clara Oswald to trudge through first. Who was it on here who said "She's a Coronation Street-level actor- perfectly fine, but not alongside someone as great as Peter Capaldi"? They were absolutely right.

Up to 904, "Before The Flood" now. Capaldi vs Serafinowicz. Two villainous Peters. Oh yes, this is more like it.

DrGreggles

Been enjoying Mischief Theatre's 'Movie Night In' streams.
Same format as their old improv shows, but they're very good at them.