Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:39:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Culture consumed in quarantine

Started by Thomas, March 18, 2020, 07:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Captain Crunch on March 23, 2020, 09:45:17 PM
Can you watch early Drag Race online anywhere please?

Sacked off Drag Race this year because Sherry Pie makes for uncomfortable viewing now. Is it worth giving it another go? Fuck knows I'm bored enough.

Captain Crunch

I'm well behind and not too fussed about the very recent ones, it would be nice to relive seasons 4 and 6, maybe season 9 as well. 

Thomas

Well, we watched half of Cats this evening, and then, as a household, democratically elected to skip ahead to the Taylor Swift bit before switching off.

I'm a compulsive completist (nothing earns a place on my long-running list of films/series/serials watched unless I see it through to the end), so to abort a film viewing is a grave and jellicle dishonour.

mr. logic

I'm trying to get back into This American Life but the voices are all truly grating aren't they? That smug American, walk in Central Park wearing a cute hat cadence. Just...aaaah. Blow your fucking nose.

Saying that, the play they broadcasted about Reality Winner's FBI interrogation was thrilling.

Dewt

What are you all doing, you've got every published recording in history available at an instant and you're watching horrible shit that you hate

alan nagsworth

Really, really enjoying the 4K Ultra HD telly we had delivered just before everything got gnarly in the UK. Last night watched "Porco Rosso" and was fuckin dazzled by the smug fat cunt and his big red aeroplane in super crisp definition. Visually it's not even the most mind-fuckingly gorgeous Ghibli film by a long shot, so think I'm gonna have to whack "Spirited Away" on it this arvo.

poodlefaker

New Rustin Man album. Dude waits 20 years then releases two brilliant albums in 13 months. Think this one is even better than the first.

Head Gardener

I read today that Drive-In cinemas are making a comeback in America, business opportunity for someone with a field and a big sheet over here perhaps?

bgmnts

Okay so the ending to Quantum Leap was fucking SHIT.

Feel a bit betrayed.

Deyv

Yeah it's a steaming pile. There's an alternative ending floating around somewhere which is mildly better. Hate how it officially ended though.

alan nagsworth

Getting through all the live music DVDs I've never got around to watching. Yesterday was Secret Chiefs 3, and today was Fantômas playing "The Director's Cut" on new year's eve. Both great performances, particularly the latter which is absolutely flaming hot. Tomorrow I reckon I'll watch Fantômas/Melvins Big Band or The White Stripes' "Under Blackpool Lights".

Head Gardener

Blue Jam

Bit Seinfelded out now. Gave Fighting With My Family (on Netflix) a go. Couldn't get into it. Now watching some trashy documentary about plastic surgery on BBC3. Good times.

alan nagsworth

"Spirited Away" last night. Cried at that beautifully hushed train scene with Sen and No Face gradually ending up the only ones left on the train as night descends. Something so bloody moving about that whole bit (not because of the virus, I'm not THAT soft), fucking magical.

Sebastian Cobb

Watching films on Mubi. Meaning to finish reading the book I'm reading but I keep accidentally getting stoned when watching films on Mubi.

Also watching Serial Experiments Lain. Which someone has put on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8nbEGDR4Yg&list=PLiJt7rSKcs3jvpxBIJ6ndKbCqMGvTjvEm&index=2&t=0s&app=desktop#dialog

The Culture Bunker

While working (pretending to) at home the last few days, I've really been hammering listening to various tunes on the New Retro Wave channel on youtube. I'm aware I'm a couple of years behind the curve on that, but really enjoying bands like the Midnight and FM-84, perhaps helped by the sunny weather.

alan nagsworth

Decided to finally force myself into watching Twin Peaks: The Return after being really underwhelmed by the first episode a few months ago. Enjoying it a surprising amount now which I'm very glad about.

Puce Moment

Lucky fucker. Wish I had a TV series to watch.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 26, 2020, 11:25:44 PM

Did you watch Joe Pera? https://www.channel4.com/programmes/joe-pera-talks-with-you - I'm a little bit addicted to it and am trying to get the entire world to watch it.

Ferris

selectivememory

I haven't had the attention span to sit through a film in ages, but I just watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and it's cheered me right up.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 26, 2020, 11:51:56 PM
Nathan For You

I'd echo that (though don't judge it by it's slightly patchy first episode), it's my favourite ever US comedy. And along those lines, Review With Forrest MacNeil is amazing too.

Ferris

I'll chuck in Jon Glaser Loves Gear*, ostensibly a show about a man who enjoys hiking gear (or whatever), the story and laughs are derived from the character himself going through his life around the pretence of the show.

Also rewatched the first season of The Wire last week, and it is still a terrific piece of work.

*GEEEEEEAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!

chveik

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 27, 2020, 12:44:36 AM
I%u2019ll chuck in Jon Glaser Loves Gear*, ostensibly a show about a man who enjoys hiking gear (or whatever), the story and laughs are derived from the character himself going through his life around the pretence of the show.

best moment for me is when his psychiatrist tells him he's cured and that he can have all the free guac he wants.

Ferris

Quote from: chveik on March 27, 2020, 01:51:21 AM
best moment for me is when his psychiatrist tells him he's cured and that he can have all the free guac he wants.

Nah going out and getting drunk and ending up at the Lonely Dads Bar or whatever it's called. Great bit of silly meta comedy.

mr. logic

The Brian and Roger podcast has been back for a very welcome new series, and is superb as ever. Their ongoing debate on Rick Stein's dog in a recent one kept me smiling for days.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 26, 2020, 11:25:44 PM

It's a shame that so many people here are going out of their way to recommend shows to you, out of the kindness of their hearts, when what you actually meant was that you can't watch anything because you had your eyes shot off trying to wrestle a rifle off a stray dog who thought it was a snack because it was inexplicably covered in marmite like a giant twiglet.

I only know this because you confided in me and I hope you don't mind me making this public just so these good people know the damage they might be doing. When the marmite rifle dog, which is also a service dog and now your full time carer, barks this message out to you in morse code, please try not to be too angry or upset with what's unfolded here.

Also dog I just want you to know you're doing stellar work through this whole pandemic lark, really great work.

buttgammon

I'm loving Better Call Saul, but waiting a week between episodes is agony when the weeks all feel about five years long.

Blue Jam

Quote from: buttgammon on March 27, 2020, 09:35:28 AM
I'm loving Better Call Saul, but waiting a week between episodes is agony when the weeks all feel about five years long.

Indeed. Who can I sue?