Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:53:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Repeating a song til it sounds cursed

Started by Clownbaby, March 18, 2020, 11:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

Ever get it where you've listened to a song too many times and it starts to sound a bit eerie somehow? That's just kicked in now for me with Lipps Inc - Funkytown (extended 12'' version) Songs that are already eerie don't count. I know someone will probably jump in and say ''Funkytown is crap'' at some point and I really don't care

I'm sat in bed playing on PS4 listening back and forth between Black Midi - Ducter and Funkytown, just cause these two songs inexplicably have me vibin tonight. Back on extended Funkytown and the funky lil beat loop at the start suddenly jumped out at me as faintly sinister. Odd that

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Gregory Torso

I once listened to 'Don't Stop Me Now' for an hour and a half on Infinite Jukebox (which doesn't seem to load anymore but was a website where you could upload a song and it would skip around beat matching to random points in the song, potentially playing it forever).

To be honest, it just got better and better, transcendental actually. It kept repeating the bit where Fred goes WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA and the drums goes all wobbly and take off and Brian gets widdling and Fred is all like "sonnic ble-beh-bay", over and over, jumping back to the don't stop me don't stop don't stop me wa hey and then fucking TAKE OFF into the i DORT WAN A STOP AD ALL, i'm a rocketship on my way to lady godiva like a gonna explode yeah two hundred degrees that's why they call me two hundred degrees thats why they call me "SONIC DEBBAY!" take it be BAY

It is a cherished memory.

Clownbaby

H-O-W-L

Don't Stop Believin' sounds really sinister to me now. Seems like the sort of song that would play while Soviet assassins chase you through a packed West German carnival shortly before the fall of the wall. Their distinctive Adidas footsteps scuffing through the cheerful crowd as you solemnly step from puddle to puddle, awaiting the cold touch of a silenced PB's muzzle against the small of your back. Smiert Spionam. Thud-thud.

JesusAndYourBush

When Queen released the single "Flash" my neighbour recorded the song off the radio, then for around half an hour he proceeded to play the same 5-second portion over and over again.  It was the part that goes "he saved every one of us, he saved every one of us, every man every woman ner ner ner (I don't know the words) Flash" then there'd be that little sound where you rewind the tape but you don't press the buttons properly so you rewind while they play button is still partially pressed so you get a little "wiiiiiiip" sound, then that 5-sec portion would repeat again.  And again.  And again.  And again.  For 30 frickin' minutes.  The annoying thing is I can't remember why he was doing it.  Presumably later I would have asked him just what the actual fuck he was doing, but if I did I can't remember the reason.

Lemming

Give It Up by KC and the Sunshine Band sounds like a threat, and gets slightly worse every time you hear it. He sounds like he's about to attack you.

Fantasy by Mariah Carey gets worse every time I hear it on the radio too. She sounds completely deranged in that particular song. It's not even only the lyrics (which, like most love songs, are really easy to reinterpret as being stalker-y and horrifying if you want to), it's just everything. The bit where she just whispers "I'M... IN... HEA-VEN... WITH... MY BOYFRIEND." Jesus. Spooky. Good pop song though.

the

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 18, 2020, 11:55:43 PMFunkytown

"Can I just shock you? I like Funkytown" - but you're right, there's something about the instrumentation that sounds sinister. The beep melody, that synth tom that comes in, the Hitchcock strings.

It's like a good-time record that was made in a bad mood.  On a burial mound

I also love Club Tropicana but it does have a strangely claustrophobic feeling to it. Listening to it feels a bit like drowning.

Still a bit disturbed by the 'all that's missing is the sea' lyric too, like the song is the delusional fantasy of someone locked in a broiling concrete internment camp in the desert somewhere.

hedgehog90

Milk Sheik by Lizzy Mercier Descloux

First listen: Music that would play at a children's birthday party.

Tenth listen in a row: John Wayne Gacy montage music.

TheMonk

Quote from: Lemming on March 20, 2020, 01:41:49 AM
Give It Up by KC and the Sunshine Band sounds like a threat, and gets slightly worse every time you hear it. He sounds like he's about to attack you.
Bloody nightmarish video too.
https://youtu.be/N2Gi4Y4JzOA

TheMonk

Quote from: the on March 20, 2020, 01:52:49 AM
Still a bit disturbed by the 'all that's missing is the sea' lyric too, like the song is the delusional fantasy of someone locked in a broiling concrete internment camp in the desert somewhere.
Is that what he's saying? I thought it was "Olaf's pissing in the sea".