Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:09:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tfl transport closures and a general transport during the coronavirus thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 19, 2020, 10:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

So Tfl have announced the following:

QuoteFrom this Friday, there will be no Waterloo & City line
Until further notice, on Friday and Saturday nights there will be no all-night 'Night Tube' service or the all-night 'Night Overground' service that currently runs on the East London line. This is to ensure the resilience of the regular Tube and Overground services. Late services on both the Tube and Overground will continue to run for essential journeys.
London buses will operate fewer services, but TfL's extensive night bus network will continue to provide critical workers with a reliable night option on Friday and Saturday nights and throughout the week 

They are also planning to shut 40 London Underground stations, which isn't very well announced on the Tfl website. The following are already closed:

Arsenal, Barbican, Borouggh, Bounds Green, Bow Road, Covent Garden, Goodge Street, Hampsted and Manor House.

The Circle and Hammersmith and City lines are now running every 15 minute.

There has been a lot of criticism of the plan to operate fewer buses and tubes, saying this will lead to more people per train and bus. However, perhaps it will encourage people to not go out unless necessary.

Wouldn't a lot of emergency service workers need to rely on the Nigh Tube as they work shifts? On the other hand I suppose it stops people going to the pub.

The full list of possible station closures is here:

QuoteStations that could be closed tomorrow include the following. Customers are advised to check the TfL website for live updates before they travel:

Bakerloo line

Lambeth North
Regents Park
Warwick Avenue
Kilburn Park
Charing Cross 
Central line

Holland Park
Queensway
Lancaster Gate
Chancery Lane
Redbridge
Circle line

Bayswater
Great Portland Street
Barbican
District line

Bow Road
Stepney Green
Mansion House
Temple
St James's Park
Gloucester Road
Jubilee line

Swiss Cottage
St John's Wood
Bermondsey
Southwark
Northern line

Tuffnell Park
Chalk Farm
Mornington Crescent
Goodge Street
Borough
Clapham South
Tooting Bec
South Wimbledon
Hampstead 
Piccadilly line

Caledonian Road
Arsenal
Covent Garden
Hyde Park Corner
Bounds Green
Manor House
Victoria line

Pimlico
Blackhorse Road 

https://tfl-newsroom.prgloo.com/news/tfl-press-release-tfl-announces-planned-services-to-support-londons-critical-workers-during-the-covid-19-pandemic

Fambo Number Mive

Khan is meeting Johnson and other senior officials

QuoteAccording to the Times' deputy political editor, Steven Swinford, Mr Khan says public transport will be reduced "very significantly" in the coming days and weeks, adding that it was "critical" for fewer Londoners to use buses and the Tube.

Fambo Number Mive

Sky News:

QuoteThe sleeper service from London Paddington to Penzance will be suspended after Friday, according to operator Great Western Railway.

Fambo Number Mive

More station closed today.

I miss the smell of Underground platforms.

Dex Sawash

Fambo Number Mive

Doesn't look like reducing service frequency is helping with the social distancing. It's very difficult for Tfl though because short of requiring everyone who enters the station to have proof they are making an essential journey what can they do? Pictures of people rammed into carriages are concerning.

Icehaven

There's "significant alterations" to the train timetables in the West Mids starting today apparently, but similarly to London there's also pictures in the local news of passengers rammed into trains in Birmingham ('plus ça change...' of course, but that's not the point), presumably because the alterations are reductions, which will naturally have the predictably counterproductive effect of making people ignoring/being forced to ignore advice about not travelling have to cram together on less trains.

I get the bus to work and even though I had to wait half an hour for a service that usually runs every 10 minutes, there was hardly anyone else on it at about half 8 this morning where usually it'd be packed, particularly if there hadn't been one for half an hour, so that was something at least.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fambo Number Mive

Hancock says the tube services should be running in full.

Really I don't see how services on the tube can be safely reduced given that the government seem to expect hundreds of thousands of non-essential workers to use it each day.

Buelligan

I've already posted this short film from Novara Media about the government's bailout of train operating companies in another thread but I feel it needs to be here too.  Watch it, only three and a bit mins but three and a bit mins of thought-provoking stuff.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 24, 2020, 05:09:39 PM
Hancock says the tube services should be running in full.

Really I don't see how services on the tube can be safely reduced given that the government seem to expect hundreds of thousands of non-essential workers to use it each day.

The doublespeak of demanding people stop using a service they rely on all while reducing the amount of trains running, then blaming the public for not distancing properly.

steveh

Union representatives have been saying on Twitter that with the number of people off, either because they are unwell or a family member is, they couldn't run a tube service with more trains and meet the required transport safety regulations.

Fambo Number Mive

This is probably a stupid question but given there are fewer flights operating room Heathrow, is there a reason Terminal 5 can't be closed so another Underground station can be shut? Or would that just make social distancing harder in the other terminals?