Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:09:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Reassure me about food.

Started by Fry, March 19, 2020, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

We're not going to be eating rats at any point, are we? There's no reason why food will stop being produced and delivered to store, is there? Once all the mental hoarders have stocked up will I be able to get bread again?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

As stated in the other threads the supply is fine but the supply chain has neither foreseen these problems or been able to adapt to it.

Every time any disrupting factor affects Just in Time supply it's like watching an alien species encounter humans for the very first time.

Fear begets fear and everyone is buying more than they ordinarily would because everyone is buying more than they ordinarily would because supermarkets and suppliers haven't got their shit together. We are finding out it wasn't all for our own good, it was about their margins.

As a show of supply they should be parking enormous lorries outside the shop fronts with WE HAVE EVERYTHING YOU FUCKING NEED FOR MONTHS, AND YOU CAN HAVE TWO OF THEM AT A TIME all over them, they should be putting this stock front and centre of their stores and boasting about it. They could do this.

A week of over supply, ram hand sanitizer and bog roll and fucking chimp semen or whatever the fuck the public are worried is scarce down their throats. Get Mr Motivator to throw pasta at people from the top of a crane, 20 minute workout before pasta, that's the new rule.

Restoring confidence in the food supply is the same as restoring confidence about anything. You get your enormous 15 inch cock out and start waving it about and spunking everywhere so people are assured that it is girthy and virile enough for humanity to survive.

ZoyzaSorris

If you're not eating you won't need toilet paper (I'm presuming that's how it works) so there is that, if it helps.

When I was ill I went off the low carb because I can never do it when I'm really under the weather, my body screams at me in no uncertain terms to gorge on cereal and hot cross buns, but now I'm OK again it's a good time to get back on it right now I guess, got my trays of coconut oil and coconut milk and coconut cream, I'll be a raging keto god pissing pure acetate by the time this is over, rampaging free amongst the fading soyboys.

ZoyzaSorris

On a more serious note, I presume farming is still going on but obviously I can't imagine this country is very self-sufficient foodwise and how is the international supply chain holding up? Does the government keep strategic reserves of staple foodstuffs for emergencies (can't imagine they do being Tories). Would be interested in the longer term picture here...

Sebastian Cobb

As a show of supply they should be parking enormous lorries outside the shop fronts with WE HAVE EVERYTHING YOU FUCKING NEED FOR MONTHS, AND YOU CAN HAVE TWO OF THEM AT A TIME all over them, they should be putting this stock front and centre of their stores and boasting about it. They could do this.

The thing is, while panic buying is bad, you don't want to promote regular trips to the shop either as that brings more footfall and contamination. People should be doing weekly shops to ensure they have a constant supply of 7+ days to make sure they can survive should they start showing symptoms.

I didn't panic buy, as I've already said, but I did survey what odds and sods I had, and bought some extra bits and pieces that could be combined to turn them into extra meals so I turned what would've been a weekly shop into enough food to last me two weeks.

Sheffield Wednesday

You can survive three weeks without food. You need to be worrying about water though. Three hours and you're a goner be a bit thirsty.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 19, 2020, 10:53:05 AM
The thing is, while panic buying is bad, you don't want to promote regular trips to the shop either as that brings more footfall and contamination. People should be doing weekly shops to ensure they have a constant supply of 7+ days to make sure they can survive should they start showing symptoms.

I didn't panic buy, as I've already said, but I did survey what odds and sods I had, and bought some extra bits and pieces that could be combined to turn them into extra meals so I turned what would've been a weekly shop into enough food to last me two weeks.

I think that's a reasonable idea too, not sure how it could be enforced. Work patterns, along with individual stuff like child access etc could mean people need to shop little and often, though just as many could survive fine doing big weekly shops.

Buelligan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 19, 2020, 10:53:05 AM

I've been shopping once a week and only once a week like that for ages.  I live remotely and have no transport, so it's not a choice for me.  Even if it was though, the habit of just in time shopping's probably not a good one.  Not good for the environment, in terms of journeys and also because, if you shop for a whole week you plan food so's stuff can be used up.  If you shop all the time, one tends to buy what one fancies for a meal and waste the rest because it's cooked or it doesn't go with the next day's stuff.  Or you eat it, so's not to waste it and end up overeating every day.  And, of course, there's all the additional packaging.

Also, weekly shopping gets you into the habit of having at least a week's worth of groceries in the house even at the end of the week and stuff like candles and weird shit for emergencies, because you get used to the idea of not being able to just pop out and get it.  You plan for the times when you might not be able to do your weekly shop for a week (illness or whatever).  This is mighty useful, even outside of pandemics, it means if you don't get paid or you're sick, you won't starve immediately.  All good stuff.

massive bereavement

Stuff starts growing again in spring, so we should be Ok.
I'm anticipating not being able to buy imported food at a reasonable price and maybe priority will be given to essential products in terms of production and delivery. So the types of food that are bad for us or not particularly popular might become harder to come by.

steveh

After the reduction in plastic wrapping for food in supermarkets and the introduction of reusable bags for fruit and veg I wonder if we will see a temporary return to everything being in plastic again.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on March 19, 2020, 11:06:46 AM
You can survive three weeks without food. You need to be worrying about water though. Three hours and you're a goner be a bit thirsty.

Quite pleased my house has a supply of 'fresh' water just behind the back fence, known locally as 'the ditch'. Might not kill you if you use one of those travel water filters, which luckily i do have in the basement somewhere from when I planned to force my other half on an ill-advised solo (duo?) trek to Choquequirao on our honeymoon in Peru, sensibly she feigned a hurt ankle so we never did it. Might come in handy for providing us a mouthful of water cleared of carcasse contamination in a few months.

Puce Moment

I have to say that I feel like I am eating in a much more healthy way, not letting leftovers get mouldy, eating the stuff that is set to go out of date rather than what I just happen to fancy, freezing stuff etc. I know this is how I should live anyway - if all this blows over I will do my best to carry on living like this.