Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:19:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Unwanted Items Of Panic Buying [merged]

Started by Bently Sheds, March 19, 2020, 10:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bently Sheds

Perusing the desolate shelves of the local Morrisons yesterday I noticed in the completely blitzed tinned goods aisle that the only product left was a copious supply of the single serve can of Heinz Macaroni Cheese.

Similarly, in the empty frozen section was a shelf full of Bird's Eye Quarter Pounders. And plate size Yorkshire Puddings. And the inevitable Brain's Faggots.

What made these items unattractive to your average stockpiling panic buyer? I mean, I get why people don't fancy Brains Faggots; the name just puts you off and the packaging is really unappealing. But frozen burgers? Macaroni Cheese?

What plentiful unwanted items have you seen sitting lonely in an otherwise empty supermarket?

monkfromhavana

What is the difference between a faggot and a meatball?

Sebastian Cobb

Brains Faggots are actually a solid buy if you need something to keep. They're nicer than they would appear to be.

They were a staple 'mum's not coming home for tea tonight' dinner my dad would cook.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 19, 2020, 10:45:17 AM

More cylindrical rather than spherical. In gravy rather than ragu or whatever it is.

Buelligan

My dad never, ever, cooked me anything, ever.  He never ever even gave me a slice of bread that he'd buttered or poured me a drink.  Despite living with us.  You just made me realise that.  What a bastard.

H-O-W-L

Those Birdseye burgers are pretty good as it goes, too. At least, in the role of cheap burgers, IE condiment-backing beef-esque undertaste.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Buelligan on March 19, 2020, 11:08:11 AM
My dad never, ever, cooked me anything, ever.  He never ever even gave me a slice of bread that he'd buttered or poured me a drink.  Despite living with us.  You just made me realise that.  What a bastard.

Whenever my dad cooked us something he's always play the game of "What random ingredient have I put in this dish and can you guess what it is?".

For example, chopped up boiled egg in spag bol.

Sebastian Cobb

My dad cooked nearly all the time because my mum tended to get home later, but the effort definitely plummeted when mum wasn't joining us. Fair enough really.

idunnosomename

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 19, 2020, 10:45:17 AM
you can be sure no dastardly italian has made them "a-spicy"

Dr Trouser

Aldi in Drumchapel this morning had a packed shelf of Apricot Jam that everyone was ignoring, and the only tinned food left untaken was sliced mushrooms.

Draw your own socioeconomic conclusions from that data.

massive bereavement

Apparently nobody likes sweet corn where I live.
Of the Quorn range, it's the fish-like fillets.
Flavoured rice pudding (Strawberry/chocolate).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Trouser on March 19, 2020, 11:57:02 AM
Aldi in Drumchapel this morning had a packed shelf of Apricot Jam that everyone was ignoring, and the only tinned food left untaken was sliced mushrooms.

Draw your own socioeconomic conclusions from that data.

If you need mushrooms to last you want dried.

Morrisons had frozen garlic and frozen onions. I don't know why either of these things needed to be frozen to begin with though.

beanheadmcginty

Salt and vinegar peanuts completely untouched. Both the KP and own brand versions.

Jasha

Tuesday teatime the only thing left on the Aldi meat shelves was the 20% fat beef mince, fancying a shepherds pie went in there on the way home and even that was gone. Copius amounts of hot cross buns though

Barry Admin

Two mentions of hot cross buns on here today.  Not judging, just counting.

Blue Jam

Vegan and "free-from" options. People aren't that desperate.

pigamus

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 19, 2020, 04:36:05 PM
Two mentions of hot cross buns on here today.  Not judging, just counting.

Your buns will also go on ze list!

Plenty of protein bars available on the stripped shelves of my local Sainsburys, which is quite ironic as that's exactly the sort of thing that might actually come in handy; a high-protein, pocket-sized, ready-to-eat snack with a really long shelf life.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The pasta and rice aisle in Asda was nearly empty, except for Pot Noodles. Surprising, considering the large student population here. Maybe the packaging is too bulky compared to the volume of food contained within.

Jasha

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 19, 2020, 05:03:11 PM
The pasta and rice aisle in Asda was nearly empty, except for Pot Noodles. Surprising, considering the large student population here. Maybe the packaging is too bulky compared to the volume of food contained within.

You haven't heard about the forthcoming water rationing?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Water? Just crunch the noodles up and hold them in your gob until your spit softens them.

Dewt

Pot Noodles are ridiculously expensive for what they are, too

Blue Jam

The Saino's I was in just now had one packet of rice (which I bought and put in the food bank) but loads of microwaveable rice packets. Like Pot Noodles I guess they're just not good value for money and take up more space than raw ingredients. Also those things just contain the equivalent of one meal for one person, and not a very filling one at that, while a packet of rice or pasta combined with some tinned ingredients could probably be used to make a load of meals in bulk.

Here I've just got four cans of soup, bread ingredients and a big bottle of water. Not had to stock up more than that because there still seems to be enough food around. Got frozen fruit but I always buy that anyway.

Captain Poodle Basher

I was in my local Aldi last week after the panic-buying horde had moved on. The frozen food section was completely cleared of everything apart from the vegan burgers. I took this as a welcome sign that society hadn't completely collapsed just yet. I was only after their cat litter which was there in ample supply possibly due to its poor nutritional value.

I was in there again early this morning and the shelves were fully-stocked.  Then again, my brother tells me, through his contacts in the cash & carry trade, that due to Brexit-related forward planning, there's large stocks of food in Ireland already.

shiftwork2

Has anyone ever bought baked beans with a little frankfurter floating inside?  It appears the answer is no, not even during wartime.  Every gentleman or lady ensures the bean juice avoids the sausage.

Buelligan

I bought some of those by mistake once.  So happy to find beans in a shop here I just bought them.  Got back to my vegetarian compound only to find I'd tainted my own home.  Fucking hell. 

Bazooka

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 19, 2020, 06:05:42 PM
Has anyone ever bought baked beans with a little frankfurter floating inside?  It appears the answer is no, not even during wartime.  Every gentleman or lady ensures the bean juice avoids the sausage.

Yeah ate them all the time as a young whippersnapper, the softest sausage you could ever grace your mouth with, you don't even need a jaw, a soft breeze will disolve it's soft flesh for you.

Dex Sawash

Beanie Weenies in america. Commonly found in packed school lunches of kids that brought from home. Banned now I reckon due to knife edged lid.

phes

Wonder what's with the reports of vegan stuff being left over. It's not like it's a product that's there for decoration, they sell shitloads now. Maybe they sell the majority of it to flexitarians who have panic bought meat. Or maybe vegans just aren't panic buying preprepared food items. The vegetarian section in asda was stripped bare, faster than the processed foods section for meat eaters

H-O-W-L

Ah I love those, so long as you get the proper pork sausage. It flavors the beans significantly because of the porky immersion.