Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:01:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Unwanted Items Of Panic Buying [merged]

Started by Bently Sheds, March 19, 2020, 10:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

Meat section empty.  Vegan/vegetarian section was fine.  Which is absolutely fine by me.

The only slight irritation was the lack of eggs, but a quick trip to my local shop remedied that.

Thankfully we've been buying TP in bulk online for ages, and recently had a stock up, so we're good for several months there.  Unless I start having to barter for milk or something.

Weird how it's all the fresh food that's going, and tins/frozen food still left.  Long life food, with the exception of pasta and rice and flour, is being shunned in favour of short life food.  Isn't most of it going to end up in the bin?

or maybe Sainsburys put in a bulk order for tins/frozen gear, they figured we'd all be stockpiling but forgot what stupid cunts the British public are, stockpiling fresh carrots and tomatoes instead of tins and lentils.

phes

Other way round at my local Asda superstore. Anything that can be stored and has a reasonable calorie content is gone. Apart from wine.

bgmnts

Before I realised how abysmally unethical it was to eat it, I used to like those beans with the shit frankenfurters in it. Proper working class food.

BlodwynPig

machotrouts

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 19, 2020, 10:45:17 AM
What is the difference between a faggot and a meatball?

I would be offended to get called a meatball.

machotrouts

Beans with vegetarian sausages were a childhood staple of mine. Extrapolating from this thread, they must be the most unpopular product on earth right now? People crawling half-starved to ASDA, seeing shelves after shelves of Heinz Veggie Beanie Weeniez, and croaking "nah... fuck it" before passing away. Not me though. I'd eat them and live.

This thread is the first I've heard of flavoured rice pudding and I quite fancy it. Basically pre-stirred Müller Rice, right? Another childhood staple. Coronavirus is helping draw our focus to what really matters in life. Flavoured rice pudding

Blue Jam

Just popped into Holland and Barratt to see if they had any more of those protein shakes I like. Found out my local branch doesn't stock them, but they had tonnes of stuff in stock- loads of protein bars and protein powder, baking ingredients, nuts and seeds, tea etc. I guess people are leaving the healthy and vegan options on the shelves, but they have plenty of non-vegan stuff and loads of chocolate too.

You'd think those massive bags of protein powder would be flying off the shelves-  some of them contain 40 portions and still don't take up much space, and you can make them up with water. They're also filling and contain added vitamins and other nutrients. I might pick up one if I get desperate.

Jasha

Not a single jar of coffee yet boxes and boxes of those tassimo pod things

Shit Good Nose

Tinned sweetcorn seems to be particularly unpopular around here, which I find a bit odd.  And baked beans - whilst not at normal stock levels - are still plentiful.  I'd have thought they'd be one of the first things to go.

Blue Jam

There were loads of pre-packed sandwiches in the reduced section at Tesco, presumably because fewer people are going to werk.

All a bit mayonnaisal for my liking though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 20, 2020, 05:10:52 PM
Tinned sweetcorn seems to be particularly unpopular around here, which I find a bit odd.  And baked beans - whilst not at normal stock levels - are still plentiful.  I'd have thought they'd be one of the first things to go.

Sweetcorn is kind of pointless though isn't it? Alright for livening up mixed veg but you never really need it on its own.

weekender

Lots of things have gone.  Toilet roll, kitchen roll, milk, bread, Cup-A-Soup, tinned vegetables.  Gone, never to be seen again.

As I happened to glance at what was left, I noticed that there was one shelf that appeared to be quite full, and that it consisted mainly of 'Jamie Oliver's Olives'.

Obviously I panic-bought the lot, just in case, but it did lead me to this question, which is what the thread title is.

What's going to be the last thing on the shelf?

Dunno if this deserves to be demoted to HS Art or if it should stay as a serious critique of panic-buying knob-heads.

phes

Now that the panic buying of alcohol has properly begun it is emerging that Shiraz is the sliced tinned mushroom of the wine world

bgmnts

Yeah the beer getting hoovered up about an hour after the pubs closing announcement was one of those Picard facepalm moments.

Nation of alchies.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 20, 2020, 05:44:37 PM
All a bit mayonnaisal for my liking though.

I KNEW you were going to mention your irrational dislike for mayo.  In the brave new world of C19 it's either get with mayonnaise or take your chances in the wild.

Jasha

Quote from: phes on March 20, 2020, 08:15:50 PM
Now that the panic buying of alcohol has properly begun it is emerging that Shiraz is the sliced tinned mushroom of the wine world

Acres of Bud Light

Sebastian Cobb

I'll happily drink Shiraz, so I'm alright with that.

There's 2 corner shops practically opposite each other near me,  I wouldn't want to survive living out of either of them, but one of them has seemingly gone with the idea their USP is booze; it's a tenement and the flat/shop next door is a stockroom full of booze as well.

High contamination possibilities though because the way it is laid out causes a narrow throughfare between the booze bit and the sundries bit and it's always got other jakies coming in, based on the bits I've overheard they must have a fairly thick 'tick book' as well.

shiftwork2

Now that the panic buying of alcohol has properly begun
Wait, what?  First time I've been properly worried.

pigamus

If somebody said to me, "Of all the booze, which is the one you don't like", I'm not sure I'd understand the question.

ollyboro

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 20, 2020, 08:22:23 PM
Wait, what?  First time I've been properly worried.

Two days ago, every pack of lager, beer and cider in Sainsbury's, Middlesbrough was sold out. They're not getting any more booze deliveries for the foreseeable. They're concentrating on essentials. The Sainsbury's book of essentials is very different to mine.

weekender

It's going to be hard on those of us who are on an alcohol reduction plan and who have a literal physical dependency on it some days.

Icehaven

If the booze runs out, then the riots will start. By me.

The supermarket over the road is still generally well stocked but has some intriguing gaps. The deli counter is fine, as is crisps, pop and packet sauces, and the pasta and noodle aisle is also still full but on closer inspection there's no pasta shapes, it's all spaghetti or tagliatelle and various types of noodles. Lots of frozen and fresh meat but they usually have loads of massive bags of polish sausages but they're all gone too.

phes

Quote from: icehaven on March 20, 2020, 08:47:55 PM
If the booze runs out, then the riots will start. By me.

The supermarket over the road is stil generally well stocked but has some intriguing gaps. The deli counter is fine, as is crisps, pop and packet sauces, and the pasta and noodle aisle is also still full but on closer inspection there's no pasta shapes, it's all spaghetti or tagliatelle and various types of noodles. Lots of frozen and fresh meat but they usually have loads of massive bags of polish sausages but they're all gone too.

Supermarkets are narrowing their range. I read somewhere they're reducing pasta varieties by 3/4

imitationleather

I hope they will continue doing the Action Man bowties.

shiftwork2

Spaghetti and linguine are sporadically available, but the tubes and bow ties only exist in boomer cupboards now.  We will not see their like again until we carry out house clearances.

Brian Freeze

I saw Penne in boxes this morning, nothing at all else available and Mrs Freeze saw some shelves somewhere that only had Penne on earlier in the week. Why dat?

Lots and lots of Pot Noodles left, as noted above somwhere, Id have definitely predicted those being popular.

Icehaven

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 20, 2020, 10:30:19 PM
I saw Penne in boxes this morning, nothing at all else available and Mrs Freeze saw some shelves somewhere that only had Penne on earlier in the week. Why dat?

Lots and lots of Pot Noodles left, as noted above somwhere, Id have definitely predicted those being popular.

People are strange, when you're a stranger.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dr Trouser on March 19, 2020, 11:57:02 AM
Aldi in Drumchapel this morning had a packed shelf of Apricot Jam that everyone was ignoring, and the only tinned food left untaken was sliced mushrooms.

Draw your own socioeconomic conclusions from that data.
weird i love their apricot jam and sometimes its plucked out from the multiple-flavour boxes. anyway i've got mine!!!!!!!!!!

gib

Quote from: Brian Freeze on March 20, 2020, 10:30:19 PM

mightier than the hoard?