Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:12:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Death Management Systems - the government’s legislative response

Started by Paul Calf, March 19, 2020, 11:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Well, as predicted, the government have wasted no time in using this opportunity to vanish civil liberties and giver itself and its police fore sweeping new powers lasting a minimum of two years to forcibly detain the sick and those suffering from mental illness more easily, extend the powers of police and customs officers to quarantine, ban public gatherings, delay elections and restrict powers to oversee surveillance operations.

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2020/03/18/coronavirus-bill-the-biggest-expansion-in-executive-power-we

You panicking cunts have got what you wanted.

BlodwynPig

Kryton

When all this is over, it'll just be Paul Calf. Smug, smiling, happy and free. Smarter than everyone else. Kicking the bodies in disgust.

I choose death.

Serious response: Isn't this basically what China did?

Endicott

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 19, 2020, 11:36:54 AM
You panicking cunts have got what you wanted.

The proposals are very worthy of note, but your rabid hysteria isn't really helping anyone.

Quote from: Kryton on March 19, 2020, 12:23:59 PM
Serious response: Isn't this basically what China did?

That's not exactly a good reason to follow suit though. We could manage some emergency measures without drafting them in vague ways like authoritarian arseholes.

Two years is too long. These should have to be renewed every month or automatically rescind.

Other proposals are broader, such as giving powers to police or immigration officers to detain people suspected of carrying the virus and "to take them to a suitable place to enable screening and assessment" for an unspecified period.

Other measures would allow ministers to ban gatherings or events and make it easier for people to be detained in mental hospitals, and for longer periods.

The powers, which ministers say would be used only if necessary, would be put in place for two years, with no provision mentioned so far for them to be reviewed in the interim.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/labour-mps-alarmed-covid-19-laws-being-passed-without-vote

jobotic

Quote from: Endicott on March 19, 2020, 12:33:58 PM

That's not exactly a good reason to follow suit though. We could manage some emergency measures without drafting them in vague ways like authoritarian arseholes.

Two years is too long. These should have to be renewed every month or automatically rescind.

Agree with all that

TrenterPercenter

chveik

two years is weird, there's no need for that.

you're still an horrible cunt Paul, at least some things don't change.

Buelligan

The two year thing is absolutely unacceptable, as Endicott and Jobotic have said.  Genuinely very concerning, that.

FWIW, I don't think Paul's a horrible cunt, he just goes from zero to eleven rather more quickly than most of us.

kittens

yes!! all my panicking has paid off and i've finally got what i wanted!!!

chveik

Quote from: Buelligan on March 19, 2020, 12:42:14 PM
FWIW, I don't think Paul's a horrible cunt, he just goes from zero to eleven rather more quickly than most of us.

maybe not but making it sounds like people here are responsible for these measures isn't helpful and quite devoid of empathy.

Buelligan

Oh, I see what you mean.  Let's be fair, he's not the only one here who uses excessive, perhaps overly-emotive, language is he?  I tend to gloss over it unless it's specifically aimed at me, then I simply mash their tiny tender bollocks under the iron-shod jack boot of my superior wit and general intellectual puissance and skip merrily on. 

Kryton

Corbyn is fighting it at least. Trying to make it re-viewable every few months.
It is extreme but not entirely unexpected.

Buelligan

Pink Gregory

Pointless dig at JC in the Politics.co.uk article there.  "Incapable of forensic analysis."

Old habits die hard Ian 'How to be a Liberal' Dunt.

Paul Calf

Quote from: chveik on March 19, 2020, 12:40:27 PM
two years is weird, there's no need for that.

Dry your eyes, petal.

Paul Calf

Quote from: chveik on March 19, 2020, 12:54:51 PM
isn't helpful and quite devoid of empathy.

Quote from: chveik on March 19, 2020, 12:40:27 PM

OK mate.

Look, can we decide whether I'm a horrible cunt or an horrible cunt? This is just sloppy.

Buelligan

chveik is French.  It's perfectly correct for a French speaker to call you an horrible cunt, silent h innit.  You stupid cunt.  (Soz.)