Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:13:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ed O Brien did a lovely song

Started by Dr Syntax Head, March 19, 2020, 01:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Definitely the least shit of the solo stuff he's released so far. I really like the intro guitar loop, and the pitch-shifted guitar that comes in after the first verse (very Ed O'Brien).

However it puts me in mind of something I don't completely like and I can't figure out what. It's a bit 2002 isn't it? Is that it? Or I keep thinking maybe it's a bit Beck, but I love Beck.

Lyrics are not great either.

It's funny though, I think this might be shaping up to be the Radiohead solo project that best pleases general Radiohead fans.

keir

Quote from: popcorn on March 19, 2020, 03:06:04 PMHowever it puts me in mind of something I don't completely like and I can't figure out what. It's a bit 2002 isn't it? Is that it?

Is it that it's produced by Flood and very much sounds it?

Johnny Textface

A track called Mass that he played for the 6music festival was pretty nice.

Dr Syntax Head

Take it at face value I reckon. It's the guitar player from Radiohead. The nice one

popcorn

Quote from: keir on March 19, 2020, 03:27:10 PM
Is it that it's produced by Flood and very much sounds it?

I know Flood is terribly famous and successful but I don't think I've ever been a big listener of anything he's done. What are the Flood Production Trademarks?

keir

Quote from: popcorn on March 19, 2020, 04:10:31 PM
I know Flood is terribly famous and successful but I don't think I've ever been a big listener of anything he's done. What are the Flood Production Trademarks?

For me it's the difference between the first Glasvegas album when I was mad on them and the second one, which he produced, where I lost interest.

People use words to describe his productions like swooping, soaring, anthemic, U2.

I still love Ed though and will be predisposed to look kindly on the album. I think that Flood was probably a good fit for the sort of album Ed sincerely wanted to make.

popcorn

Quote from: keir on March 19, 2020, 04:52:36 PM
I still love Ed though and will be predisposed to look kindly on the album.

He seems like a lovely bloke and I really admire his guitar work in the 'Head

Dr Syntax Head

Flood has had a pretty good career. Worked with Trent. All boxes ticked there

popcorn

popcorn

Ed's album is out now.

I just listened to one song at random, the chillingly named Banksters. It is a dead ringer for God Put a Smile Upon Your Face by Coldplay. Hmmm!

Dr Syntax Head

Quite nice this album. Loving deep days

popcorn

I think it's rather bollocks I have to say.

I've read a few interviews he gave about it, and he talks endlessly about "finding your truth" and the time he was healed by a spiritual healer in Brazil. The album sounds almost exactly what you'd expect those sort of sentiments to sound like expressed through the musical language of a middle-aged middle-class alt rocker. It's all so nice, even the "angry" bits ("where's the money you fuck") are embarrassing.

Dr Syntax Head

It is 'nice' and does sound a bit coldplay. In a week or so I'll forget it exists but it's ok

popcorn

SteveDave

I heard this on Daniel Kitson's breakfast show and I was surprised that it was from one of that band as it was fun.

samadriel

LOL Ed O'Brien, what a dull name. He should have a more interesting rock and roll moniker. Ed Star-Spangled... Banner!

McFlymo

Ah, Flood. I was getting NIN vibes from Shangri-La.

It's really boring stuff. Who was it in Radiohead that did all the exciting writing on OK Computer / KID A, or was it just them at their peak?

Haven't liked any of the solo projects, but I'd probably choose Thom's stuff over this: At least the electronic sounds are a little more intriguing.

popcorn

Quote from: McFlymo on April 29, 2020, 10:05:00 PM
Who was it in Radiohead that did all the exciting writing on OK Computer / KID A, or was it just them at their peak?

Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood write everything in Radiohead.

Glyn

Quote from: popcorn on April 29, 2020, 10:07:32 PM
Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood write everything in Radiohead.
I think Ed has been credited with having a hand in the music for: Street Spirit, Go To Sleep, Lull , Meeting in the Aisle and Big Boots .
Treefingers is also Ed's guitar playing but I think it was put together by Thom

popcorn

Quote from: Glyn on April 30, 2020, 03:06:11 PM
I think Ed has been credited with having a hand in the music for: Street Spirit, Go To Sleep, Lull , Meeting in the Aisle and Big Boots .
Treefingers is also Ed's guitar playing but I think it was put together by Thom

He didn't write Street Spirit of Go to Sleep, those seem to be oft-repeated fan myths. In fact he mentioned in one of the EOB interviews just the other day that he didn't write Street Spirit, just played the guitar part. But we know he wrote major elements, at least, of the other songs you mention there.

In any case, Yorke and Greenwood are the driving forces as far as songwriting goes, though the rest of the gang are all responsible for their own bits and pieces mixed in.