Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:31:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is it selfish to not socially distance yourself?

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 19, 2020, 06:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: kittens on March 19, 2020, 09:57:58 PM
i'm not going to the pub!!!!!

Good point. You're going to the gym because Alexander is too much in hock to his insurance industry buddies to close it.

kittens

Johnny Yesno

Schnapple

Just been for a twenty-minute wander around my neighbourhood and snapped a photo of a famous kebab shop, never not rammed, inexplicably staffed and serving absolutely nobody. Posted it on Instagram with an ironic recommendation to get on down there, and got a ticking off from several people. I think we're in the 'solemn' stage of this catastrophe. Surely taking a quick stroll round the block by night is alright, though?

Sheffield Wednesday

Why not do whatever the fuck you want because you know best. As long as every single other person in the country follows the advice and makes the sacrifice, you can do whatever the fuck you want.

Get ready for some serious hostility.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Zetetic on March 19, 2020, 09:26:15 PM
    Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough
    Avoid non-essential use of public transport, varying your travel times to avoid rush hour, when possible
    Work from home, where possible. Your employer should support you to do this.
    Avoid large gatherings, and gatherings in smaller public spaces such as pubs, cinemas, restaurants, theatres, bars, clubs
    Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media
    Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services

Everyone should be trying to follow these measures as much as is pragmatic.

It's going to be my birthday soon. I'm planning to meet a few friends for a walk in the countryside, no public transport needed to get there. That's within the guidelines, isn't it?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on March 20, 2020, 03:00:59 AM
Why not do whatever the fuck you want because you know best. As long as every single other person in the country follows the advice and makes the sacrifice, you can do whatever the fuck you want.

But they're not, are they? Employers are calling us in to work, public transport is still running, the pubs and bookshops are still open and the public are still using them.

momatt

Everyone please stay the fuck indoors, it's not fucking difficult.
If everyone does as they're told it'll be over a lot more quickly and many lives will be saved.

Anyone still going to the pub is a cunt.

My sister's boyfriend posted a selfie of himself with a pint in an otherwise empty pub telling everyone "no queues, get yourself down there!!" Confirmed case of Cunt.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: momatt on March 20, 2020, 08:00:11 AM
Everyone please stay the fuck indoors, it's not fucking difficult.

Plenty of us aren't fucking allowed to stay indoors.

Quote from: momatt on March 20, 2020, 08:00:11 AM
Anyone still going to the pub is a cunt.

What about people who go to 2 supermarkets rather than one as the first doesn't have all the things they would like?

What about people who nip in to the newsagents to buy a paper as they'd like to support their local businesses?

What about the people who go to a local bookshop that has kept it's doors open as it can't afford to close, rather than buying from Amazon?

What about someone who drops off a parcel at the local food bank or goes to the Post Office to send some money to cash-strapped relatives?

Are they all "cunts" too?

kittens

what about nice people going to the gym because they want to be a big hunk?

Buelligan

I don't think they're cunts but they may have their priorities confused.  Helping people is good but not as good as not harming them.  Seems a bit weird but I think it's true.

kittens

i've got a solution: i'll be going to the gym on my lunch break, so i will not be increasing my time of exposure. no one can be angry at me anymore.

jobotic

If I wanted to today I could go to the library, but some clothes, get some food, go for a swim, a gym class then go on a pub crawl.

One of those is possibly necessary. The others shouldn't be an option.

Fry

Mum, can i got to my mate's tonight and play PES? Is it allowed?

Buelligan

Quote from: kittens on March 20, 2020, 08:56:20 AM
i've got a solution: i'll be going to the gym on my lunch break, so i will not be increasing my time of exposure. no one can be angry at me anymore.

It's not about your time-exposure (what?), you dill.  It's about, say... you have that virus, everyone you meet and all the people they meet might catch it.  Even if you're not that ill, you might make someone else dreadfully ill. 

Every time you decide to do a thing, you increase the number of people connected to you through that visit or meal or whatever.  And you have to factor in that people choosing to go to places that many might consider high risk will all be sharing each other's risks.  So even if the place is empty when you go there, it's been used by people who take more risks, so is more likely to be dangerous to you and every other person you're connected to and all of their connections to infinity (that includes people you care about).

ZoyzaSorris

I do feel people are being a bit pearl-clutching about this. Yes it's good to minimise contact but the simple fact is lots of people are having to be out and do things, and does it really make that much difference going into a nearly empty pub or cafe compared with going to the supermarket? Personally I think the government should halt it's milquetoast insurance-company-lackey bullshit and just literally shut everything as far as is humanly possible for a couple of weeks which would probably save us more pain in the long run, but there you go...

jobotic

Yes they should but they'd rather we died.

I'm the meantime, before they reluctantly do that we should obviously do the things that nvolve contact that we have to do, and not the ones we don't have to do.

ZoyzaSorris

I agree and that's what I'm doing personally but I find the excessive pearl-clutching a bit much.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on March 20, 2020, 09:18:50 AM
Personally I think the government should halt it's milquetoast insurance-company-lackey bullshit and just literally shut everything as far as is humanly possible for a couple of weeks which would probably save us more pain in the long run, but there you go...

I guess part of the issue is that so many people are needed to keep things going even at a really basic safeguarding level. Looking at that list of key workers, there are so many people needed to be in work. Everything from people delivering food to safeguarding workers. Morticians, fruit pickers, care workers, cleaners.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision

kittens

going to the supermarket you have more contact with people than going to the gym. i go to my local corner shop which is usually totally empty. so i am allowed to go to the gym.

Buelligan

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on March 20, 2020, 09:18:50 AM
I do feel people are being a bit pearl-clutching about this. Yes it's good to minimise contact but the simple fact is lots of people are having to be out and do things, and does it really make that much difference going into a nearly empty pub or cafe compared with going to the supermarket? Personally I think the government should halt it's milquetoast insurance-company-lackey bullshit and just literally shut everything as far as is humanly possible for a couple of weeks which would probably save us more pain in the long run, but there you go...

I think it's a bit like smoking indoors, sure the government should stop people forcing others to breathe their smoke but, even if they don't, each of us can choose to go outside before we spark up.  We can take personal responsibility for our own choices and we can choose to reduce as much as we possibly can the risk our actions expose others to.

Danger Man

My trip to the pub last night involved a short walk and no contact with anybody.

I think 'pub' evokes the idea that people might be enjoying themselves which is forbidden at the moment.

In the pub I witnessed one of the 20 year old females hugging one of the middle aged men, which even I thought was a bit much.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: jobotic link=topic=78796.msg4134138#msg4134138 date=1584696136
we should obviously do the things that involve contact that we have to do, and not the ones we don't have to do.

Who defines what we don't/ have to do? If I'm in work, I might want to have hot drinks. Is it wrong to cycle to the local shop to buy milk or should everyone drink water?  If out of work, my 3 year old son needs to run about. Am I being selfish by taking him to the park, especially seeing as I've already encountered tons of people during the day I've been forced to work and all the travel that that entails?

jobotic

No. I have a three year old too. I'll take her outside of course. Maybe we'll go for a walk on Sunday. But maybe not the park, somewhere where we can avoid others. It's unbearable I know.

Having said all that I had to work yesterday and I went and bought lunch. I should have taken some in with me. I took her to the nursery this morning so I could go to work. I shouldn't have, just should have binned fucking work.

pancreas

Quote from: Danger Man on March 20, 2020, 09:31:12 AM
My trip to the pub last night involved a short walk and no contact with anybody.

I think 'pub' evokes the idea that people might be enjoying themselves which is forbidden at the moment.

In the pub I witnessed one of the 20 year old females hugging one of the middle aged men, which even I thought was a bit much.

I am inclined to agree with DM. >HORROR<

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Buelligan on March 19, 2020, 09:28:44 PMThat's a fuck of a lot of yeses.

Pete Frame's Prog Rock Family Trees "disappointingly rushed".

Buelligan

Howe d'you mean?

Quote from: pancreas on March 20, 2020, 09:42:45 AM
I am inclined to agree with DM. >HORROR<

It's a very egocentric pov, like antivaxxers, the idea that one makes a choice in isolation, it doesn't allow for any cumulative effect, it ignores the existence of others.  What if we all just go down the pub because we fancy a chekky laqer, would that be perfectly fine?  Just enjoying ourselves.