Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,352
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:00:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spoof Comedians

Started by Tony Yeboah, March 19, 2020, 08:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

When Harry Enfield was starting out, Charlie Higson used to do support as a crap wacky comedian with songs about coat hangers who was then shot dead by Enfield.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 22, 2020, 01:59:06 PM
I always thought it was more a dig at this regular Kenny character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msO2v5G5P2A
I was not aware of him but yeah that seems to be the main influence with a bit of Bean in the real world thrown in.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: neveragain on March 22, 2020, 02:57:40 PM
When Harry Enfield was starting out, Charlie Higson used to do support as a crap wacky comedian with songs about coat hangers who was then shot dead by Enfield.

Noel Clore and His Comedy Songs. I saw Harry's tour in 1989 which was Stavros, Loadsamoney, Buggerallmoney and new (and shortlived*) character Sir Harry Stocrasy, who was the one who shot Clore. According to the (excellent by the standards of comedy tour programmes) programme, he was a former member of double act Tooth and Clore.

Ooh, the tour video's on youtube!

*not very good

Craig Ferguson opened the show and was variously billed as Craig Ferguson or Bing Hitler so it must be about then he switched. The ticket for the show said "Graig Ferguson".

Hand Solo

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 23, 2020, 12:02:51 AM
new (and shortlived*) character Sir Harry Stocrasy,

More like spoof politician:

And completing that venn diagram I suppose Matt Lucas saw that character and nicked inspired Bernard Chumley:

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

letsgobrian

Quote from: Urinal Cake on March 22, 2020, 11:16:59 PM
I was not aware of him but yeah that seems to be the main influence with a bit of Bean in the real world thrown in.

The bit about him being the 1991 Golden Rhododendron of Teddington winner definitely points to it being a Mr Bean dig (Mr Bean was the 1990 Rose d'Or winner).

Jake Thingray

Quote from: letsgobrian on March 23, 2020, 11:43:35 AM
The bit about him being the 1991 Golden Rhododendron of Teddington winner definitely points to it being a Mr Bean dig (Mr Bean was the 1990 Rose d'Or winner).

Agree, although regarding Sayle and the awful Everett, he's reputed to have told "Maggie"'s biggest fan to fuck off at a BBC Light Ent Xmas do. Afraid I think, and am prepared to corrected as could be reading too much into Enfield's disliking Python, but 'Noel Clore''s duck hat may be a dig at Neil Innes. Regarding Dicky and Dino in The Young Ones, Mayall did the character, as Dickie Guggenheim, in his early-ish solo work, now sadly forgotten.

Autopsy Turvey

The character Tony Hancock in Hancock's Half Hour?
Or Seinfeld?
Less elevatedly, Gayle Tuesday?

famethrowa

Quote from: Jake Thingray on March 23, 2020, 09:34:00 PM
Regarding Dicky and Dino in The Young Ones, Mayall did the character, as Dickie Guggenheim, in his early-ish solo work, now sadly forgotten.

I'd say he makes a reappearance on Neil's Heavy Concept Album singing God Save The Queen?

famethrowa

From way back, Aussie spoof pioneer Norman Gunston. Did the whole fake shit comedian/host/singer thing years before anyone else.

KennyMonster

Cheese and Crackers?

The Comedian Stewart Lee?

letsgobrian

Eugene Levy's "Bobby Bittman" on SCTV. Normally used as a guest of his good friend Sammy Maudlin (Joe Flaherty) on the Sammy Maudlin Show, but would also be the centre of the occasional SCTV Movie of the Week. There's also a 1988 Cinemax half hour Biographies: The Enigma of Bobby Bittman.

Rick Moranis occasionally would portray Bobby's brother, Skip Bittman, who was a less successful comedian.

buzby

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 20, 2020, 04:38:41 PM
Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on March 20, 2020, 04:36:50 PM
I vaguely emember a spoof comic called Tommy Cockles from the early 90s.  My memory is hazy but wasn't he an old-school cockney comic who wore a tuxedo and bow tie?
He was on The Fast Show: www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_h0_OUSScc
He did exist long before the Fast Show though - his first TV appearance was a residency on series 2 of BBC1's Paramount City in 1991 (after winning Time Out's 'Best New Act' award), which also featured multiple appearances from Caroline Aherne's Sister Mary Immaculate, Paul Whitehouse doing a Mary Whitehouse parody, Felix Dexter and the aforementioned Coogan 'crap standup' character Duncan Thickett:
https://vhistory.wordpress.com/2014/08/06/paramount-city-tape-1190/

On the subject of Tommy Cockles & Chester Drawers - what about Arthur Atkinson?

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 22, 2020, 01:59:06 PM
I always thought it was more a dig at this regular Kenny character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msO2v5G5P2A
Which itself was a parody of Marcel Marceau.
Quote from: Jake Thingray on March 23, 2020, 09:34:00 PM
Agree, although regarding Sayle and the awful Everett, he's reputed to have told "Maggie"'s biggest fan to fuck off at a BBC Light Ent Xmas do.
The head of the Light Ent Dept, Jim Moir, brought Everett over to introduce him to Sayle and asked Alexei 'You know who this is, don't you?'Alexei said 'Yes', turned round and walked away (note that in that article Sayle admits Everett was off his face at that Young Conservatives rally).
For a more nuanced view on 'Maggie's biggest fan', see the passage that covers the event and his subsequent opinions on Maggie in Everett's biography, written by Sayle's regular writing partner and collaborator David Stafford. Alexei's recollection of the incident with Everett is also included in the book, as is the recollection of the incident from Barry Cryer, who was the one who said Sayle had told Everett to fuck off.

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on March 24, 2020, 12:32:27 AM
Less elevatedly, Gayle Tuesday?
Gayle Tuesday was a stereotypical 'dumb blonde' Page 3 Girl (she was usually billed as 'Page 3 Stunna Gayle Tuesday'), not a comedian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Gilhooly

the

Quote from: Urinal Cake on March 22, 2020, 03:07:50 AMSayle also did Monsiuer Aubergine

I'd like to think that Monsieur Aubergine is a relative of Mr. Poo-Poo (of 'Goes To The Lavatory' fame).

Quote from: KennyMonster on March 24, 2020, 09:54:00 AM
The Comedian Stewart Lee?

Stewart Lee?  You mean that spoof character by that Canadian comedian who wears a mask of meat?

KennyMonster

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on March 24, 2020, 04:08:17 PM
Stewart Lee?  You mean that spoof character by that Canadian comedian who wears a mask of meat?

Yeah I guessed it was Baconface but wearing extra padding to make the character look fat and depressed[nb]and fat.[/nb]