Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How do I get my relatives to take Corona seriously?

Started by thenoise, March 20, 2020, 06:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Quote from: weekender on March 21, 2020, 06:44:19 PM
Does this happen a lot for you? 

If so, I might have some bad news.

Fuck, it's the big C isn't it? Just tell me straight I can handle it

Twit 2

My parents are retired, potter around rural Cornwall and have a big freezer full of food all year round. I honestly can't think of anyone I know less affected by this virus; their before and after lives are virtually indistinguishable. They still might die, if I'm lucky.

thenoise

Quote from: Ian Benson on March 21, 2020, 02:44:34 PM
My dad seems to think that if he keeps needlessly going to Waitrose and PC World, and then tweeting about it to his 11 followers, he'll make all of this "stupid scaremongering" go away. In his head I imagine it's just "GO AWAY! GO AWAY! SHUT UP! SHUUUUUUUUUUT UPPPPPPPPPPPPP!" on a constant loop. In terms of things that piss him right off this is up there with Greta Thunberg, Emma Thompson, woke culture, and cycle lanes.

He seems quite up to date with his gripes about young people. My Mum still rags on about men shaving their chests. She glimpsed a few seconds of Peter Andre in the 90s and has never got over it.

purlieu

Nextdoor neighbour, in her 70s, currently has the whole family round. Kids, grandkids. I despair.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I wonder if some of these old folk have resigned themselves to their fate and just want to see their loved ones before the end. It's sad but understandable.

On the other hand, my dad (74) still insists on going out every day, just to buy the bloody newspapers. I have, over the years, slowly come to the conclusion that he's probably a bit autistic, or something. Mum says she'll get my sisters to ring up and shout at him.

Non Stop Dancer

You can explain things to people, but you can't understand it for them.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on March 22, 2020, 03:54:55 PM
You can explain things to people, but you can't understand it for them.

I've learned that from zetetic

Icehaven

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 21, 2020, 11:20:32 PM
My parents are retired, potter around rural Cornwall and have a big freezer full of food all year round. I honestly can't think of anyone I know less affected by this virus; their before and after lives are virtually indistinguishable. They still might die, if I'm lucky.

Apparently Cornwall's suffering an influx of out-of-towners fleeing from London to hole up in their second homes (and probably thinking it's safe to go out and about whilst they're there because not a city.)

bgmnts

For the record anyone with a second home is an absolute cunt and I hope they all get the virus.

massive bereavement

Quote from: bgmnts on March 22, 2020, 08:11:03 PM
For the record anyone with a second home is an absolute cunt and I hope they all get the virus.

People with three homes, great bunch of lads.

timebug

My mate 'Owd Geoff' (He is old or 'owd' as we say,and his name is Geoff!) is seventy six and staying indoors, boiling all his food in bleach for ten minutes (not really!) But he is doing his best to self isolate. His younger wife (65) is allegedly taking care of the shopping chores. Then my other old mate 'Big Mac' ( he is a huge giant of a bloke,and his surname begins with Mc as he is of Scots descent. Nuffink to do with a wankish fast food outlet, he has been Big Mac all his life, before the yank fast food place came here!) is going out, shopping and visiting the places and people he always has. He lives alone like me, so he has to shop for food, but his social visits are worrying some people. I am trying to self isolate but still have to get food, its one of those strange habits I have picked up, somewhere along the way, eating food!
An aged Aunt and Uncle (she is 77 , he is 81) are housebound, by ORDER of their forty six year old daughter. The daughters own children are both nurses, so she is full of 'recieved wisdom' about healthcare.
Me, I just think that like Brexit, Thatcher, Hitler et al, this too shall pass.... we just have to wait and see!

idunnosomename

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on March 20, 2020, 07:36:07 PM
my mother from Grave's disease.

i thought this was a joke. Turns out i know the condition (marty feldman eyes) but not the unfortunate name

Mister Six

Quote from: icehaven on March 22, 2020, 08:08:09 PM
Apparently Cornwall's suffering an influx of out-of-towners fleeing from London to hole up in their second homes (and probably thinking it's safe to go out and about whilst they're there because not a city.)

Happened in the Hamptons, too. All the regular folks that live there have suffered an unseasonal influx of rich cunts buying up all the goods in the supermarkets and hauling then over to their beach side mansions. One scumbag hid their symptoms and flew from NYC in a private jet so they could check in to a hospital there. Of course, Long Island hospitals are smaller and less well equipped than those in NYC, but who cares about that?

Guillotine the lot of them.

Quote from: timebug on March 23, 2020, 10:16:59 AM
Me, I just think that like Brexit, Thatcher, Hitler et al, this too shall pass.... we just have to wait and see!

Definitely - or at least become another thing to routinely vaccinate against. Take care!

purlieu

Girlfriend's 84 year old dad went to the doctors this morning, then stood in the long queue outside the pharmacy nattering to people. She's close to giving up.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 23, 2020, 10:59:02 AM
(marty feldman eyes)

Kim Carnes considers , etc (it's important we hold on to this sort of thing during these troubled times).

Sin Agog

Just got screamed at for ages and called a twatty scaremonger for delivering the quarantine news and suggesting we actually completely stay indoors rather than make all these little exceptions we've been doing (i.e. going back and forth to feed a rabbit, rather than bringing it here).  Feel pretty beaten up. 

Thomas

My grandpa has voluntarily entered 12 weeks of isolation. I'm really pleased, but I'm concerned that the experience will drain him. I think continued activity has been the key to his spritely longevity. He's always travelling and attending courses, keeping his life energised. I'll have to send him loads of emails.

The rest of my family are behaving, too. My housemate, meanwhile, brought home a loaf of bread yesterday baked by his mum. Not touching that. A Trojan loaf of tiny viral soldiers.

Captain Z

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 23, 2020, 11:06:43 PM
Just got screamed at for ages and called a twatty scaremonger for delivering the quarantine news

Oh, how can I subscribe to this?

Sherringford Hovis

Bought Mum a Boris bog brush for Mother's Day.

She's put it on the mantelpiece. Whether it's been used or not I've been unable to ascertain.

purlieu

Quote from: purlieu on March 22, 2020, 02:25:27 PM
Nextdoor neighbour, in her 70s, currently has the whole family round. Kids, grandkids. I despair.
Neighbours on the other side are still having workmen round to do their garden. Thinking of erecting 20 foot walls around my garden so they can't spew their fucking germs over here.

jonbob

I'm glad to see people all over the world have decided on over active sense of entitlement makes you immune to a pandemic. I'm glad my mother is a natural worry and self isolated in a reasonable remote area. The Fuckwits here are all our shopping and going to the park.. The call centre I work in is having people sitting side by side  to train them up to deal with all the extra work! I've made myself the arsehole for the office by showing them footage from a Spanish hospital.

purlieu

Girlfriend's parents keep leaving the house. She's so stressed about it.

Buelligan

Maybe she should hamstring them for their own good.

purlieu

She'd probably catch COVID on the train down there and pass it on in the process, making them both hamstrung and dead.

rue the polywhirl

Girlfriends parents are adults and are free to do as they see fit. Maybe she should be worrying about herself worrying after them so much. Don't hamstring them because that could potentially be grievous bodily harm.

purlieu

Some context: her's mum's in her 70s and had chemo a couple of years ago, as well as being dramatically overweight; her dad's in his 80s, is on hormone treatment for prostate cancer (they won't operate as he's too frail), recently went to hospital for sepsis, had his gallbladder removed a couple of years back (continues to drink alcohol despite doctors telling him he shouldn't since the removal) and has breathing problems, needing an inhaler. He, in particular, is a textbook example of a vulnerable person in this context. Oh, and they live in the south east, where there are more cases than anywhere else in the country.

I don't think it's unreasonable for her to be worried.