Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:35:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why aren't we in lockdown?

Started by jobotic, March 20, 2020, 07:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

https://mobile.twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1240723388336877569

How is it even possible to have a debate about whether or not we should be able to go to the pub?

Why the fuck would my council be able to keep leisure centres open?

Isn't this going to cause thousands of avoidable deaths?

I just can't get my head round it.

Johnny Yesno

momatt

I guess the main reason is that we voted to have a slow-witted cunt to be in charge.
We should have closed boarders and been in lock-down weeks ago.

Gregory Torso

You have to put yourself in lockdown. The dithering idiots in charge aren't going to do anything. I feel sorry for people whose employers are massively selfish cunts and are forcing them into work, and I feel sorry for self-employed small businesses who are going to get fucked, but...

This is not flu. This is not an illness that only affects those over 60 or with underlying health problems. This is a horrible respiritary virus that is spreading like fuck.

Can't bring myself to read the thread where people are trying to justify going to the pub or the gym. I mean, Jesus Christ.

If you have people you care about, or who care about you, self isolate. Don't go out. See what's happening in Italy, it's going to be us in a couple of weeks and selfish, thick cunts are still acting like it won't happen to them.

Genuinely can't take any of this anymore.

Stay indoors. Call in sick, for fucks sake, if you can.

Sin Agog

The government's reason is because their essence is not getting in the way of business, and they're finding it awfully hard to suddenly rewrite who they are just because they have to.

For us plebs, it's because we're so fundamentally myopic that we can't make ourselves imagine tomorrow not being just like today, despite the fact that we've already experienced everything changing in one night just this very week.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Pretty much. Years of permitting private enterprise to lead the way (you could argue Spad is an in-house version of the same phenomena) has meant that the art of governance has been well and truly lost. Yeah, we don't want to be full of Commies like China. But these are the very situations where a bit of top-down, perhaps even slightly heavy handed, coordination wouldn't go amiss.

The French are streets ahead of us in this regard of course; but only because they've had years of practice blocading and kettling the gilet jaunes. Having a hugely inflated army/army budget probably doesn't hurt either.

Buelligan

That's a load of abject and invented bollocks.  There has been no coercion here at all.  The people are accepting the lockdown and respecting it because they understand why it's necessary.

Ham Bap

I'm in Derry and most have ignored the UK government and gone with the Republic of Ireland's approach in not wanting thousands of people to die.

Pubs and restaurants have completely shut. Some have started a takeaway service.
Those takeaways still open have radically changed their business approach, card only etc.

As has been said you need to just isolate and socially distance yourself from people.
There's a fucking storm coming and England won't wake up until it's hundreds a day dying.

massive bereavement

It's going to look pretty shameful when we're on or near the top of the table for death rates. I have a real problem with authority telling people what to do but I imagine we're going to have to accept virus lockdowns every few years or so as a new way of life, especially if antibiotics become less effective.

Buelligan

Antibiotics don't kill viruses I believe.  They're good for bacterial infections.

batwings

Quote from: Buelligan on March 20, 2020, 10:16:14 AM
Antibiotics don't kill viruses I believe.  They're good for bacterial infections.

Overuse of antibacterial cleaning products (such as antibacterial hand soaps) during this pandemic leading to bacterial infections being harder to treat in the long run is the worry.

Buelligan

I'm not a health professional but I don't think antibacterial soaps utilise antibiotics that are used in clinical care.  Antibiotics being over-proscribed and not used correctly is a genuine worry but I don't think it's the same as over-use of those kinds of soap.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAs has been said you need to just isolate and socially distance yourself from people.
There's a fucking storm coming and England won't wake up until it's hundreds a day dying.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/annual-flu-reports

What quantity of death is ok/not OK? Are the deaths above (generally found on page 50 of the annual reports) simply acceptable collateral, because the mortality rate was lower?

At some point you have to accept that we are not and have not ever been taking an approach of totalling isolating and locking down seasonal viral infections. We have generally been prioritising the economy and occasionally, like swine flu, putting out public health advice.

You may think that is wrong, and you may be right but if you are taking an absolutist approach that the millions who die of strains of winter flu annually deserve the same treatment and rigour from their peers as this time, be prepared for this, the worry, stress, lifestyle change, empty shelves, morbidity etc to be every late autumn, winter and early spring for the rest of your lives.

I bet everyone reading any amount of any currency still valuable by 2050 that you don't.

Johnboy

I'm in south east Ireland, schools and universities closed since last Thursday, pubs and restaurants closed last weekend

social distancing is very much in place, not many people or traffic about and we've been told by our Taoiseach that this is the calm before the storm

I had to scold my daughter the other day for playing football with the neighbours, I think you have to put yourself in the position that you yourself might have it and that should affect everything you touch, how close you stand to the supermarket checkout person etc.

there was a really annoying article on irishtimes.com yesterday saying it's ambiguous or unclear if children should have playdates, fuck sake playdates are out of the question, most people I've been talking to seem to get the message though

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on March 20, 2020, 10:41:41 AM
I'm not a health professional but I don't think antibacterial soaps utilise antibiotics that are used in clinical care.  Antibiotics being over-proscribed and not used correctly is a genuine worry but I don't think it's the same as over-use of those kinds of soap.

stimmt

ZoyzaSorris

I am still finding it hard, after bouncing between relative calm and twitching panic, to square the actual death rates with the amount of general panic and disruption. What is my brain doing wrong? I do feel like you need either a fairly lassez-faire let the old and ill die off whilst keeping most things normal approach or a serious one month complete shutdown with people in hazmat suits bringing round food and keeping barebone services going type scenario though, this dithering middle ground from the government is likely to give us the worst of both.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 20, 2020, 10:55:38 AM
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/annual-flu-reports

What quantity of death is ok/not OK? Are the deaths above (generally found on page 50 of the annual reports) simply acceptable collateral, because the mortality rate was lower?

At some point you have to accept that we are not and have not ever been taking an approach of totalling isolating and locking down seasonal viral infections. We have generally been prioritising the economy and occasionally, like swine flu, putting out public health advice.

You may think that is wrong, and you may be right but if you are taking an absolutist approach that the millions who die of strains of winter flu annually deserve the same treatment and rigour from their peers as this time, be prepared for this, the worry, stress, lifestyle change, empty shelves, morbidity etc to be every late autumn, winter and early spring for the rest of your lives.

I bet everyone reading any amount of any currency still valuable by 2050 that you don't.

Gaia ain't listening mate

massive bereavement

Quote from: Buelligan on March 20, 2020, 10:16:14 AM

Aren't they used to treat pneumonia though?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: massive bereavement on March 20, 2020, 11:07:37 AM

secondary bacterial infections

Buelligan

Quote from: massive bereavement on March 20, 2020, 11:07:37 AM

I agree, allowing antibiotics to be compromised by using them imprudently is a serious concern.  They're used in the treatment bacterial infections, yes.  I was just pointing out that they're not used against viruses.

Sheffield Wednesday

Remember when I said this weeks ago. Hope anyone not doing this dies ASAP as a lesson to all the other selfish cunts. We just don't need them in society.

Fry

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on March 20, 2020, 11:16:27 AM
Remember when I said this weeks ago. Hope anyone not doing this dies ASAP as a lesson to all the other selfish cunts. We just don't need them in society.

Fair's fair Wedders here did call it, then got some shit for it. Bosto wins the virus.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: massive bereavement on March 20, 2020, 10:13:38 AM
I have a real problem with authority telling people what to do but I imagine we're going to have to accept virus lockdowns every few years or so as a new way of life, especially if antibiotics become less effective.

I think this is one of the factors of British society which is going to cause problems with this situation. In other countries the police, military, security staff, politicians, teachers, etc are treated with a level of respect which doesn't exist in the UK, where we tend to stick two fingers up at any kind of authority figure. I'm not sure where it comes from but harder to see the hordes doing what they're told by patrolling police in the same way they would in France, Italy, the USA etc. If things keep getting worse I'd be happy to see the gloves come off for the selfish arseholes who are going out clubbing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sorry did you just cite France as a model of civil obedience!?

The UK has historically been infamous for its servility to authority.

BlodwynPig

I too welcome the chewing gum, post 10pm showers/toilet and jay walking bans

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 20, 2020, 12:09:59 PM

France might not be the best example of civil obedience but they have managed to enforce lockdown. I just can't see it happening here. The police get viciously mocked when they're arresting people for genuinely serious crimes, let alone for being out of the house without good reason. The Bigg Market was heaving at the weekend. Good luck sending some bobbies to get that lot to go home.

Fry

Bloke I sit next to at work just got sent home because his sister, who he lives with, has come down with the 'rona. We sit less than a metre away. Am I being sent home too? No, of course not. Up to me to give it to as many colleagues as possible I guess.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 20, 2020, 12:25:21 PM
France might not be the best example of civil obedience but they have managed to enforce lockdown. I just can't see it happening here. The police get viciously mocked when they're arresting people for genuinely serious crimes, let alone for being out of the house without good reason. The Bigg Market was heaving at the weekend. Good luck sending some bobbies to get that lot to go home.

I was round there last weekend as it happens, very busy indeed. It had more of a 'might be our last chance' atmosphere though.

Been very quiet in Leeds this week as the message is getti g through. I'll keep an eye out.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 20, 2020, 12:30:02 PM
I was round there last weekend as it happens, very busy indeed. It had more of a 'might be our last chance' atmosphere though.

Cosy Joe's would be packed to the rafters even if the Black Death made a return.

Buelligan

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 20, 2020, 12:09:59 PM

The French listen to their betters and decide whether to agree or not, if they agree, they go along with it.  If they don't, they make it change.

The English don't listen to anything much, they complain about dangerous dogs or forrins on the bus but when they get told to bayonet their own class, they oblige.

I know it's not as simple as that but politically, generally, IMO, that's the difference.