Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why aren't we in lockdown?

Started by jobotic, March 20, 2020, 07:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

Quote from: bgmnts on March 20, 2020, 07:08:02 PM
Does anyone here have a year long membership with a gym? Are they refunding or still making you pay?

'The Gym', which I rarely hassle with my presence tbh hence the 38" waist trousers I bought yesterday, did an automatic membership freeze within an hour of the announcement.  I'd expect the same from anywhere else.

bgmnts

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 20, 2020, 07:27:20 PM
'The Gym', which I rarely hassle with my presence tbh hence the 38" waist trousers I bought yesterday, did an automatic membership freeze within an hour of the announcement.  I'd expect the same from anywhere else.

Definitely wouldnt trust the scumbag company that deals with my gym payments to do that. Good to know yours is though, I have leverage.

Black Ship

Just got confirmation from work that we are closed for the foreseeable.

Don't know how to feel right now.

Mitchell and Webb were soothsayers for our time, it transpires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnd1jKcfBRE

bgmnts

Quote from: bgmnts on March 20, 2020, 07:35:32 PM
Definitely wouldnt trust the scumbag company that deals with my gym payments to do that. Good to know yours is though, I have leverage.

Guy at gym said "these are unprecedented times" and told me to contact scumbag company, who will no doubt redirect me back to them.

Fucksake.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 20, 2020, 10:55:38 AM
What quantity of death is ok/not OK? Are the deaths above (generally found on page 50 of the annual reports) simply acceptable collateral, because the mortality rate was lower?

At some point you have to accept that we are not and have not ever been taking an approach of totalling isolating and locking down seasonal viral infections. We have generally been prioritising the economy and occasionally, like swine flu, putting out public health advice.

We spends quite a large amount of time and money trying to reduce the impact of seasonal influenza, with some success, so that when it does kill tens-of-thousands (once every few years) it's still often only moving forward deaths by a matter of months to a few years.

The deaths from seasonal flu are as low as they are because of what we do. This is Y2K-type stuff again.

Zetetic

Quote from: Endicott on March 20, 2020, 07:21:56 PM
This disease being not vaccinated for as yet, and 2 or 3[nb]or whatever it is[/nb] times as infectious as flu means lock down is required to prevent the service going under.
And in the process killing hundreds of thousands, many several decades earlier than they might otherwise die.

(And that's just considering directly attributable deaths, not then aftermath of reduced treatment for everything else.)

Blue Jam

My gym froze my payments and sent me this link to some free Les Mills werkouts because they're surprisingly nice:

https://watch.lesmillsondemand.com/at-home-workouts

chveik

Sweden and Nerthelands seem to have taken the 'herd immunity' road, we'll seen soon enough the results of that kind of gamble.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: chveik on March 20, 2020, 10:01:13 PM
Sweden and Nerthelands seem to have taken the 'herd immunity' road, we'll seen soon enough the results of that kind of gamble.

No they haven't.

The Swedish authorities have noted that herd immunity is a possibility but that not enough is known about the virus yet and that the goal for now is to limit the spread as much as possible and prevent it reaching the most vulnerable groups, in order to reduce the strain on the health system and allow time for research and for treatments and vaccines to be developed.

Whether that is working or not, too early to say...

chveik

Quote from: Inspector Norse on March 20, 2020, 10:21:56 PM
No they haven't.

The Swedish authorities have noted that herd immunity is a possibility but that not enough is known about the virus yet and that the goal for now is to limit the spread as much as possible and prevent it reaching the most vulnerable groups, in order to reduce the strain on the health system and allow time for research and for treatments and vaccines to be developed.

Whether that is working or not, too early to say...

I heard that on the news tonight, I guess we'll have to file that under 'misinformation'.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: chveik on March 20, 2020, 10:30:32 PM
I heard that on the news tonight, I guess we'll have to file that under 'misinformation'.

There's certainly a lot of that around right now. I think there were some tweets misquoting of Anders Tegnell - the National Coronaman: imagine the psycho cockney from Snatch in a golf sweater - as well after he said that they were looking at herd immunity further down the line. Good old social media.