Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:14:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Saturday Night Live From The Stand

Started by Malcy, March 20, 2020, 11:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Just got this email from The Stand.

SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE FROM THE STAND
THIS SATURDAY!
Saturday 21st March | Show Time 8:30pm

You have seen the news - Boris said you can't come to us! SO WE ARE COMING TO YOU!

The Stand Comedy Club & Dabster Productions have teamed up to bring you a live streamed show featuring Mark Nelson, Ryan Cullen, Vladimir McTavish, Jo Caulfield & Phill Jupitus

The show will be streamed live from our world famous club to help bring you some much needed laughter during these difficult times.

WATCH THE SHOW HERE ON SATURDAY 21ST MARCH AT 8:30PM - you will also be able to interact digitally with the acts!

The show is free to watch but there is an option to donate which will help us through these tough times.

By donating you will help ensure the survival of your favourite club, help pay staff and acts so we can return with the live shows you love ASAP.

Stay safe, keep laughing, be good to each other and THANK YOU
*Line-Up & Format Subject To Change In These Changing Times

https://www.thestand.co.uk/saturday-night-live-at-the-stand/

Can watch at the above link. Think this is a great idea and we'll definitely be seeing more of this kind of thing in the future.

Crabwalk

Interesting idea. Won't it sound like every joke dies, without laughter in the room? What will the comedians look at?

Pseudopath

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 20, 2020, 11:53:10 AM
Interesting idea. Won't it sound like every joke dies, without laughter in the room? What will the comedians look at?

Good point...although it seemed to work out OK for Hannah Gadsby.

Malcy

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 20, 2020, 11:53:10 AM

I wondered if there might be a small spaced out crowd allowed in. Although with the Glasgow venue that would maybe allow for 10 people.

Small Man Big Horse

Angel Comedy are doing something similar on Sunday night, airing a mixed bill night on their youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/angelcomedyclub while Robin Ince has a series of shows where comedians will perform from the comfort of their own home - https://cosmicshambles.com/stayathome

olliebean

Caulfield and Jupitus, though. Doesn't seem like one to watch to the end.

I went to have a look at the first Cosmic Shambles one (more for Legge than Ince), but it seems to have gone. Are they only available to watch live?

Malcy

Anyone get this to work? My internet has been fucking appalling recently so don't know if it's just me or not.

Malcy

Malcy

Small Man Big Horse

Not sure who this white haired fella performing now is but it's weak stuff indeed, with him rambling away about Uber and Deliveroo in a bland manner. Which is a shame as I like the idea, but the line up really does need to be better than this.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 21, 2020, 09:18:16 PM
Not sure who this white haired fella performing now is but it's weak stuff indeed, with him rambling away about Uber and Deliveroo in a bland manner.

Vladimir McTavish. For someone who's been doing standup for 25 years and who the Stand seem to love I was expecting something a bit edgier, but three minutes of his set made me switch the whole thing off.

I was going to call it a noble failure, but I think it was actually executed pretty well. It was just the quality of the acts that let it down for me, and that's subjective. Though I thought the MC was really good.

I bunged then a tenner anyway. It's one of my favourite places in the world.

Malcy

I tuned in for a bit of Jupitus but the first act really put me off the whole thing. Atrocious. Jo Caulfield it must have been.

They're doing it again next Saturday, no line up yet though.

I'm glad they're doing it again, although I'll be astonished if the acts are allowed outside to get to the club this time next week.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, it's a bit tight to be criticising the performers when they've just lost their main source of income.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on March 22, 2020, 07:17:26 AM
Vladimir McTavish. For someone who's been doing standup for 25 years and who the Stand seem to love I was expecting something a bit edgier, but three minutes of his set made me switch the whole thing off.

He's definitely someone who's better in front of an audience of beered-up Friday nighters than viewed this way. Although I wonder if we'll see the emergence of a new, quieter, more intimate comedy?

Malcy

Mark Nelson, Daniel Sloss & Frankie Boyle confirmed for this week so far.

Malcy

More names added for this week. Line up now

Mark Nelson
Frankie Boyle
Daniel Sloss
Jim Smith
Jay Lafferty
Jojo Sutherland
Fred MacAulay
John Moloney
Marc Jennings
Ryan Cullen
Rosco McClelland
Julia Sutherland
Stephen Buchanan
Janey Godley

Malcy

lipsink

Frankie Boyle didn't do a standup set. He just read a short story. The YouTube comments while it was going out weren't exactly kind. I can see why he'd want to do something different with the format not lending itself to normal standup but pretty much all the other acts attempt to do actual standup and it mostly seemed to work quite well.

Malcy

I thought it was atrocious. Over 20,000 viewers though. Jay Lafferty and Frankie Boyle were the only ones that got anything close to a laugh from me. Switched off when Janey Godley came on but apart from that stuck the whole thing out but won't be doing it again.

Garam

The whole stream was appalling but the e-heckling from the comments were gold and gave me a golden feeling of community togetherness

I opted for the Cosmic Shambles Stay at Home Comedy Club instead, which was great last weekend and really good again yesterday.

It's co-hosted by Josie Long and John Luke Roberts, who both do sets (I was doing proper belly laughs at JLR's bit), with Johnny and the Baptists and two guests - all over Skype. It feels intimate and works well.

Lineups (including lots of non-comedy stuff too) here: https://cosmicshambles.com/stayathome